It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Sunny Rideout HB User
Unhappy May Have HSV2 - Need Some Support & Answers

Hello,

I'm very new here. Just got home from my gyn doc. I'm embarrassed because I'm a single mature woman over 45 and have been sexually active for the past year. Not ashamed of my sexual activity, but I'm feeling embarrassed because my gyn thinks I may have Herpes 2. I was with my lover last week and we had sex, protected as usual. However, about 3-4 days afterwards, I broke out with two little red bumps in the area between my vagina and anus. I didn't think much at first, but then I kept noticing that it was there and examined it with a mirror. somewhere, deep inside of me I had a feeling that something wasn't right, especially when my lymph node in my groin became tender and slightly swollen on the same side as the sore. I tried not to panic. I waited a day, but bumps had turned into 3-4 tiny blisters. Within 24 hrs the blisters had opened and left an open sore. I called my friend and asked him if he'd ever been dx'd with Herpes and he said no.

Well my doc says she believes that what it is when she examined me today, took a culture and waiting for results in a couple of days. Wow. She even said that it looks like it's not my first outbreak! I was shocked at that one because I'd never had anything like this before, and I've had my share of "women issues" over the years. But never any blisters or sores. It's very mild and doc says the lesion is even healing and recommended that I get some otc zinc to help it along. She said there's no telling how, who or when I got virus from IF it is Herpes. Says it could have been dormant in my body for years and something "triggered" it.

Could that be true? I have Herpes 1 (cold sore) for YEARS! What are the chances that I got it from a past lover? (One who DID have herpes 2, but we slept together 3 years ago and I never had any symptoms - condoms used!) My main question is how likely is it that I got it from my most recent lover who I was with less than a week before I got the lesion? Also, if you can provide any additional info on Herpes 2 I'm grateful! Thank you in advance...so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: May Have HSV2 - Need Some Support & Answers

Hi there!

It is hard to say if it is more likely that your current partner had given this to you rather then a past partner. If you culture comes back negative (this could happen if the sores were not cultured within 24-48hrs) if this happens I suggest you asking for the IgG herpes type specific blood test. Now on the other hand if your culture comes out positive for the virus but your blood test negative that would normally indicate a recent infection. Has your partner been tested?

The virus could have been dormant in your system for years without you knowing it, many people push an outbreak off as a yeast infection or jock itch. An estimated 80% of people that have genital herpes do not even know they have it.

If you do test positive for the virus, it is not the end of the world although at first it may seem that way. Hopefully your partner will be supportive (if you are positive) as this would help a great deal since it is always nice to talk it out and not keep things in. If he is not then I wouldn't fret over it just means he was not the one for you and there are many people out there that are accepting of the virus (you can reference the Happy Couples thread at the top of the board - very uplifting when it comes to dating with the virus). If this is not your initial outbreak that means your body seems to be doing a great job at keeping the virus at bay. If you would like I would suggest maybe taking some L-Lysine and remember to keep your immune system up and stress levels down.

When having an outbreak the below may be helpful:
    • If it is painful to urinate I suggest getting a spray bottle and fill it with water so when you have to use the rest room spray as you go to alleviate the stinging
    • Oatmeal baths to help sooth you
    • No tight clothing
    • If you have to wear panties they should be cotton
    • Try wearing no panties and a night shirt to try and keep the area as dry as possible
    • After showering you can use a blow dryer on cool/low setting to dry off
(The bold circles do not mean anything special just had a hard time trying to get bullets for the item in here lol)

I hope this helped some!

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
Sunny Rideout (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

Sunny Rideout HB User

Angeleyz, Thank you so very much for the response and the encouraging words and info! I really appreciate it!! I will wait until the culture comes back next week to see what it says. I will request a blood test also. It's strange because more than anything, the thing that confuses me is what my doc said about it appears that it wasn't my "first ob"... I have tossed it around in my head and am positive that I've never had any blisters or sores in that area. The closest I had was a tingling itchy feel about 6mnts ago. Thought it was a yeast infection coming on and quickly bought some otc yeast med and it went away in a day or so. Maybe that was an "ob"?? I don't know. And I may never know. If it's been dormant in my system for years, then I wonder why now I'm symptomatic? I just don't know and I'm going to get as much info as I can on this thing, but I'm NOT going drive myself crazy trying to figure out who, what, when and why, because the fact is I really may never know those things. However, I will do as you suggested about the blood test because as you say, it could indicate a recent infection, then at least I can narrow it down as opposed to someone from years ago. Thank you sooo much again for your time and help!!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

No problem!

A thing to note with the virus, women can have an internal outbreak ( I am guessing that is why sometimes this virus can mimic a yeast infection) I am not sure how we would know that is what is going on down there though.

I just re-read your post and noticed that an ex did have HSV2 - even when condoms are used the virus is still able to be transmitted since the whole boxer short area is not covered and this virus is transmitted from skin to skin contact. Just thought I would share as I didn't place this in the original post to you. It is great though that you are not very concerned with driving yourself crazy to find out the who, what , when.. I think this is the best approach people can take since it is hard to get the answers sometimes.

If you have had this for a while and your just now getting an outbreak a few questions may or may not help in finding the answer. Such as, have you changed your diet? new medications/ vitamins? Stress levels high? low immune system? Body has gone through recent changes?- those are the only few things I can think of that may have set it off.

If you ever have anymore questions or just want to vent or anything the board is a perfect place for it

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
Sunny Rideout (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

Sunny Rideout HB User

Angel...thank you so much for your previous responses. I'm grateful. Well, my doc's office called me earlier today and confirmed what I already suspected ... I have HSV 2. There...I said it. I'd actually been looking at myself in the mirror all weekend...I look the same. I haven't changed physically. I do feel a little fragile and a little numb sometimes, but I'm not falling apart...and I won't. There's the small part of me that feels "dirty and unclean", but I know that's not true and I won't allow those feelings to live and grow inside of me, but every so often, it creeps in and I push them away. I know better. I don't know what, yet, but I believe that something good is going to come out of this for me. I really believe that. Sometimes it takes something bad or life changing to change your life. I'm tempted to stay at home and just keep to myself. I really don't feel like talking to anyone and certainly haven't told anyone, I'm embarassed to a certain extent. I'm supposed to go out tonight with some friends, not feeling it, but I'm pushing myself to go. I just don't want to give in to depression, isolation and feelings of shame. I don't want to live my life like that and I wont' Besides, I've been doing so much reading on it that I know that stress and worry are not a friend of HSV2! lol... so I'm determined to put on my "big girl panties" and deal with this. I've had thoughts of being alone for the rest of my life. Afterall, I thought, who'd want to ever touch me again? But, I don't really believe that, but I do know that the man who comes into my life this time will really love me for ALL of me, good and bad, because if he stays with me, it's really love. So, I'm hopeful. Thank you so much.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I love your attitude and outlook on this, it is great!!!!

You are definitely correct the right man will love ALL of you!! If you ever need some uplifting reading when it comes to relationships and the virus the thread at the top of the board "Happy Couples" is a great read.

Just keep your head up and stay in charge and everything will get better. The feelings you are feeling now are normal and as long as you truck on you will be fine.

Closed Thread