It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

ineed yourhelp HB User
Question Does a negative IGM mean anything?

I posted this on another site but i'll try here as well...

This is for an HSV IgM I/II Combination test

I'm a male fyi....Hi I'm confused like everyone else. I can see my Dr doesn't know anything after a simple google search but i'm still confused.

82 days before my test I came down with flu like symptoms. it burned when I peed and just hurt in general in my urethera all day. About two weeks - three weeks after I had sever tightness inmy buttcheeks and the back of my legs and tingling on my butt (both sides) I had no sores anywhere (but one sore area on side of shaft near the tip)

I've had the burning now for the full 82 days without it going away but it is lessening.

I'm sick with something else so I've had no sex or any contact for over a decade. These symptoms just showed up.

I had a negative IGM test <0.91 82 days after my symptoms. But over a decade after any sexual contact This is for an HSV IgM I/II Combination test.

I've also had negative tests for prostatitis.

thanks. I'm confused when I read AFTER EXPOSURE on sites because i don't know if that means sexual contact or first sign of symptoms.

My brain isn't working that well due to my other illness. So i hope this makes sense.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Does a negative IGM mean anything?

Hello,
Are you asking in regards to herpes? An IgM is not the correct test and shouldn't be used to help diagnose the virus rather the IgG herpes type specific blood test is the one that should be used.

I hoped that helped a little bit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
(male)

ineed yourhelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyz81 View Post
Hello,
Are you asking in regards to herpes? An IgM is not the correct test and shouldn't be used to help diagnose the virus rather the IgG herpes type specific blood test is the one that should be used.

I hoped that helped a little bit
^Well i've read that it has false positives. But does a negative test mean anything for sure?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

It is tricky my IgM came back negative yet I am positive for HSV2. It wouldn't hurt just to ask for the other test to be on the safe side.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
(male)

ineed yourhelp HB User

Quote:
It is tricky my IgM came back negative yet I am positive for HSV2. It wouldn't hurt just to ask for the other test to be on the safe side.
thanks for the reply. Can you give some more info?

How long after you thought you had herpes was your IgM? How did you find out you had it..etc..

anything you feel like sharing please do. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
My story is a bit nutty. Back in 2000 I was visually diagnosed no tests or anything so I ran with it and informed my ex-husband I had the virus, he never got it. After my ex husband and I parted ways I went to a doc asked to be tested and when the results came back he said I was negative, then in 2009 I had an outbreak went to another doctor they swabbed me (positive) and i went and had a blood test done (IgG positive HSV2) and I also requested the blood test from 2005. The blood test for 2005 the IgM said negative but if the lazy doctor would have looked on the next page he would have seen clear as day I was positive for HSV2 <5.0. That is one of the reasons I mention to ask for the IgG.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
(male)

ineed yourhelp HB User

Quote:
Hi,
. The blood test for 2005 the IgM said negative but if the lazy doctor would have looked on the next page he would have seen clear as day I was positive for HSV2 <5.0. That is one of the reasons I mention to ask for the IgG.
thanks for the reply but i'm kind of lost on this part.

what was on the next page? You had a negative IGM in 2005? Is that correct.

But what was positive on the other page (and was that from the same 2005 blood drawing).

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello,
Yes that is correct the first paged listed the negative IgM and the next page showed me positive for HSV2.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
(female)

AllandNothing HB UserAllandNothing HB User

I find your story very interesting. Please give a follow up on where you are.

Can I ask, did you have a rash with this? You said no sores, but was there any visual problems on the surface of the skin?

Closed Thread