It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

minxy23 HB User
Question A few questions..

Hi
I recently found out I caught herpes from my boyfriend (we've been together a year, he didn't know he had it - unfortunately for me). I've always been very careful with safe sex, so am extremely devastated about this. However I understand it's common so am now just looking for information as to how to deal with it. I have looked over this board but haven't been able to find any direct answers to the questions I have, so I was hoping some of you could help me out.

1. Knowing now that my BF has genital herpes, can I still give him oral? He doesn't seem to be affected by breakouts, hence why neither he or I ever knew he had it. So how can I avoid oral herpes? I understand condoms would help, but is it possible to do it without?

2. Can we still have sex without a condom? I am on the pill, so we haven't previously used them (since we became a serious couple, we used them while we were just dating). I find condoms can be a bit irritating for me so I prefer without.

3. How can I prevent future outbreaks? Or sense them coming? And in that situation, what should I do? I can't afford to go see my doctor every few weeks - I read online some people suffer outbreaks every few weeks and I feel like with my luck that could be me..

Thank you all in advance, I really appreciate it xo

Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

Cathy676 HB User
Re: A few questions..

Does he have hsv1 or hsv 2 , that would determine the oral issue...if you already have caught it im imagining its hsv2..and therefore oral sex doesnt really come into any issues bc those with hsv2 normally do not ..can not catch hsv1...which is the mouth etc.

#2 yes u have already caught the virus so condom or no condom isnt relevant now.. have u had an OB?

#3 from ur last question im thinking you have never had an outbreak.. bc you would know! My patients say that its more like being hit by a bus and having the flu all together... being put on the medicine to help have the virus subdued will help with future breakouts etc.

Just bc ur bf has hsv1 or 2 doesnt mean that u do, just bc a blood test says positive doesnt mean you have herpes either.. it means u have been in contact with the virus not that uve caught it...the only way u can be tested positive for hsv1 or 2 is with a test of the actual sore during and ob.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: A few questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by minxy23 View Post
Hi
I recently found out I caught herpes from my boyfriend (we've been together a year, he didn't know he had it - unfortunately for me). I've always been very careful with safe sex, so am extremely devastated about this. However I understand it's common so am now just looking for information as to how to deal with it. I have looked over this board but haven't been able to find any direct answers to the questions I have, so I was hoping some of you could help me out.

1. Knowing now that my BF has genital herpes, can I still give him oral? He doesn't seem to be affected by breakouts, hence why neither he or I ever knew he had it. So how can I avoid oral herpes? I understand condoms would help, but is it possible to do it without? You can perform oral on him but just know the chances although very slim are still there for you to get it orally.

2. Can we still have sex without a condom? I am on the pill, so we haven't previously used them (since we became a serious couple, we used them while we were just dating). I find condoms can be a bit irritating for me so I prefer without. If you both have the same type then there isn't any reason to use condoms if you both do not want to

3. How can I prevent future outbreaks? Or sense them coming? And in that situation, what should I do? I can't afford to go see my doctor every few weeks - I read online some people suffer outbreaks every few weeks and I feel like with my luck that could be me..You may want to try L-Lysine it is an over the counter supplement that many people take to help keep the virus at bay. Another thing you may want to do is if you do have insurance maybe ask your doctor for a prescription of valtrex but just hold onto the pills in case you feel something coming on (many people feel a tingle) you can take it. Also remember stress levels down and immune system up

Thank you all in advance, I really appreciate it xo

Last edited by angeleyz81; 09-11-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Closed Thread