It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

justHSV2 HB User
positive for HSV2, neg for HSV1

I decided to take STD test for all common STD's. I'm almost 40 and I had multiple sexual partners.

I suspected I'd be positive for herpes since so many partners I know had cold sores on their lips.

I got the results and I was negative for all STD's except one - HSV-2. And that was a surprise because I was negative for HSV-1!

How unusual is that? I know my sibling has HSV-1 and her kids has it. I would think I'd somehow acquired during childhood and just don't remember the breakouts.

And even more so, I don't have obvious symptoms of HSV-2. I did notice an itch on my anus but I thought it was just hommeroids or something insignificant. I never had "painful tingling sores" and I did even look at the mirror on my anus to look for sores. Nothing. No sores at all on my penis. Just an itch.

I honestly don't know what to say to my future partners. I would say it's not a problem for me but I suspect a lot of them have it and never tested it. And I am thinking, "Hey lets hook up! Just let you know I got herpes..." doesn't sound fun, does it?

But I would like to know if there are any potential complications associated with HSV-2 specifically. I've read about rare potential meningitis with HSV-1 but not HSV-2.

And I came one website saying that if you have HSV-2 without HSV-1, you're immune to HSV-1 but it cited no studies. But I certainly hope it's true. HSV-1 seems worse - I cannot imagine the pain of eating with ulcers and having visible sores for everyone to see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: positive for HSV2, neg for HSV1

Hi there,
The tricky thing is the 2 strands of viruses are interchangeable these days meaning you could have HSV2 orally and HSV1 genitally. I know you have mentioned you have had an itch before but never full blown outbreaks which still makes it tough to determine if you have it orally or genitally.

Even if you have one strand of the virus your chances of getting the other is low although possible.

When telling a potential partner you could just let them know you are not sure where it is since you have never had an outbreak.

Closed Thread