It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

rae450 HB User
First outbreak; confused as to how I contracted it!

For the last couple of weeks I have been having a strange burning sensation that would randomly come and go during intercourse with my bf. I thought it was very strange, however, I didn't think much of it.

The burning sensation continued to worsen until I decided I needed to go to the doctor to get checked, just in case. I had also noticed a strange discharge that had a foul odor, so I figured I may be able to kill two birds with one stone.

The doctor did a whole physical on me; she tested for chylamydia, gonherrea, HIV, etc. just to cover all grounds. However, she said she didn't see any discharge and I looked fine. (This was on Friday)

The very next day it felt as though I had sores or blisters on my vagina so using a hand-held mirror, I checked and there it was, a sore right on my vulva; it looked just like a canker sore. It itched really bad as well, so I used vagisil as well as Vitamin A & D diaper rash cream, thinking that maybe I was having a weird reaction to something (I have always had sensitive skin and even breakout in weird rashes from too harsh of sex).

The situation only worsened as the days went by, so by Monday, I called my doctor and insisted that I needed to come in ASAP. She couldn't see me, but another physician did that day. As soon as she looked she was convinced it was herpes, and did a test. She also tested for a few other disease and infections.

I haven't gotten the results back yet from the doctor, but from everything I have read, it is definitely herpes. I can't walk or sit without feeling excrutiating pain. It hurts to pee and I can't take enough pain killers. I am currently on acyclovir and have been using baby powder and taking warm baths to ease the pain, but it still hurts to do anything.

I am very confused as to how I have contracted herpes, however. At almost 22 years old, I have only been with three men in my life. My current boyfriend (and only partner for the last year) and I have been together for about six months. He insists that he has been checked and that he never had it, so if he DOES contract it, it would have been from me. My other ex isn't sure yet, but I haven't been with him for almost a whole year.

My question is, if I did get it from my ex, is it possible that my initial outbreak hasn't occurred until almost a year later? From what I've read, the initial outbreak is the worst. But is it possible that maybe I have had herpes for a while and it has taken this long to finally have an outbreak?

A few other points to consider:
About 18 months ago, after having sex for the first time in my life, I had a weird reaction about two-three weeks later. My vagina started itching really badly and my vulva swelled up a bit and turned red; the only thing that calmed it was siting in a warm bath. Could this have been an 'initial' outbreak?
Also, I contracted mono this past May. While I feel a lot better now, I can still tell it has taken a toll on my health. I know that simply because mono is a herpes virus, that is, it stays dormant in your body, that does not mean it is directly related to genital herpes, but is it possible that because my immune system is not at its healthiest, the herpes finally was able to take over and an outbreak occurred?

This is all very new to me, and any comments would help!

Last edited by rae450; 09-12-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

Naturesweetie HB User
Re: First outbreak; confused as to how I contracted it!

Your partner can carry the virus without ever having symptoms. I was with someone for almost a year while having outbreaks (I was tested and only found out the results almost a year later which was a month ago) and he has had no symptoms and refuses to get a blood test. I have no idea how I got mine either...and I think it is something we have to just let go of. If you can, track down the results, and it IS that painful. I'm having an outbreak on my butt right now and it is hurting just to sit here and type. And going to the bathroom can be hell with other outbreaks, so try getting some kind of squirt bottle to spray while you are going pee, or go in the shower...it helps the pain. This is a nuisance and the worst outbreak I had, I couldn't walk without limping honestly. Hope you feel better.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: First outbreak; confused as to how I contracted it!

The 18 month ago symptoms could have been your initial or not. unless you were tested (and partner too) after that which does not seem like you were you won't know whether that was it.

Closed Thread