It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

layla87 HB Userlayla87 HB User
Recently diagnosed with herpes? ITS OK- my story

I was recently diagnosed with herpes so I know firsthand how scary it is when you first find out. I wasn't eating, I wasn't sleeping.. I was terrified. I just wanted to write this thread and to let you know that everything is going to be OK. I promise. I drove myself crazy reading everything I could about herpes and stds and what it was going to mean for my life.. Listen. It sucks, yeah. It sucks a LOT. But you can't undo it. What's done is done and the best thing to do is to learn how to deal with it. And guess what.. it's not hard to deal with. You can keep living a very normal life with herpes. It's not a life threatening disease.. be thankful for that. Everything is going to be fine.

If you have a prescription to Valtrex or any generic form of it.. it's even easier. I was diagnosed in March and my first outbreak was terrible. I had it in the genital area and it was very painful and uncomfortable. When I went to my doctor, I was given not only a prescription to Valtrex but also to Lidocaine Hydrochloride Jelly. It really helps with the discomfort. If you are recently diagnosed you should be asking your doctor for this as well. Also keep in mind, the first herpes outbreak is the WORST one. It will NEVER be that bad again. After taking 2 Valtrex a day for 10 days, the herpes cleared up completely. Now you have some options... You can take one Valtrex everyday to prevent any further outbreaks... Or you can start taking the Valtrex as soon as you feel an outbreak coming on. This is what I decided to do. This way, it's not a life change. It's just a pill that I take when needed like if you had a cold or a headache.

Moving forward in relationships may seem like the last thing you want to do right now but it really is ok. Always use protection going forward to prevent spreading to your partner. As long as you use the proper precautions, you don't need to tell every partner about your STD. Be safe, always use protection.

It all may seem like one horrible nightmare right now. You are feeling like your life is over and is going to change drastically. It's not and it won't. You will be fine. Believe me, I know how you feel... I went through the exact thing you are going through. I'm doing great now. I have only had about 2 outbreaks since the original one and they were extremely mild.

I really just wanted to write this thread because I know when I was first diagnosed, I was reading everything I could about herpes and it really just freaked me out more than it needed to. I hope this finds someone who may be scared right now and hopefully it will help them calm down and know that everything is going to be fine and it eventually will get better. It will change from you thinking about it every single second of your day to never thinking about it at all. And I promise, that ball in your stomach that is making you nauseous from anxiety right now, it will go away too.

I hope this helps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to layla87 For This Useful Post:
andrewww (11-25-2012), angeleyz81 (09-26-2012), nothinbutregret (11-21-2012), Soja (09-26-2012), wishfulhopings (09-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
(female)

Soja HB User
Re: Recently diagnosed with herpes? ITS OK- my story

Thank you so much! I was just diagnosed and your words helped me feel a bit better! Thanks for taking the time to write this...

Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
(female)

cmb5653 HB User

Your post made me feel so much better... I thought I had a severe yeast infection until my labia were completely covered in blisters. It's been so painful and I'm constantly on the verge of tears. I don't have the type of family who would be supportive about this so my mom thinks I have a bladder infection. I'm completely devastated over this and can't imagine where I contracted it from, I tested negative in June for all STDs and haven't had a new partner since.

Again, thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

cghjlh HB User

thank you i too believe i have this and right now im scared to death! your words help me feel like it will be ok one day...

Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

nothinbutregret HB User
Thumbs up Re: Recently diagnosed with herpes? ITS OK- my story

Thank you so much... I have yet to be diagnosed but I am 100% positive I have it. I have every single symptom and I'm devastated. My appointment is in a couple days and I'm incredibly impatient and in pain. I burst into tears reading your post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. All I can think is that my life is over. I'm so young and have made a terrible mistake that I can never undo.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
(female)

Bionka1 HB User

Thank you for that post. I have recently been diagnosed with HSV 2 and am devastated. I told my boyfriend the day after I found out and now he is reconsidering if he even wants to continue the relationship (we've been dating 7 months and have only slept together 2x). My OB is on my booty but just as frustrating. It feels good to have a venue that I can express myself in.
Thank You

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
(male)

Mozycozy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla87 View Post
As long as you use the proper precautions, you don't need to tell every partner about your STD.
I loved your post until I got to this part. You known that even with precautions, there is still a risk of transmitting it to your partner. How could any human being, who knows what we went through, risk giving it someone else?

Please people, let your partner have a choice that most of us didn't. Always tell your partner.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
(female)

tinroofer HB User

What? : "As long as you use the proper precautions, you don't need to tell every partner about your STD."

I've had a regular partner for almost a year and he's known since day one. We've always used condoms but he has decided recently that he's willing to take the risk of not using them. His choice. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I take my meds daily and monitor myself. Still...I'd be heartbroken if he got this from me, even knowing that he accepts the risk.

As far as my outbreaks...they aren't much to speak of. A bump, maybe a rash feeling. Doesn't go much further than that. I always tell him if anything feels odd.

Closed Thread