It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

Soja HB User
Smile First OB, have a few questions...?

Hi everyone, unfortunately I'm here because yesterday I was diagnosed with herpes. I'm having a REALLY hard time coping because of how i've always been. I waited until I was 21 to lose my virginity (because I wanted it to be right, with no chance of teen pregnancy and just no stupid decisions). 2 weeks after I lost my virginity I contracted this disease. It has since been 1 month and a week. On Friday night I had sex and by saturday I was really swollen and had blisters all over, even a couple cuts.

I freaked out hoping it would pass but it just got worse. I've been in unbearable pain and finally went to see a doctor yesterday. The doctor just took one look and said it was herpes (I didn't even need any test done.) He prescribed Acyclovir (Zovirax) 800mg 4x per day. I've taken it for 2 days now and it's hasn't helped at all. I'm in SO much pain. It hurts to walk from how swollen I am and I'm scared of drinking water because I really don't wanna go to the bathroom. I told my mother and she's just so disappointed in me, and I feel that's the worst (aside from the pain).

(sorry i wrote so much, I just realized I'm kinda using this to vent. at least someone knows what i'm going through....)

But anyways I have a few q's:

1) Should I get a blood test anyway? or should I just take the doc's word? After all he seemed so confident and it looks just like every picture I've seen... I have all the symptoms except flu-like stuff. I have however been feeling very light headed/dizzy, nauseous, and with cold sweats. (yesterday i had high blood pressure but i don't know if it was caused by anxiety or not)

2) Is all the swelling normal? One side is 3x it's normal size. That's where all the sores are so it makes sense i guess. the other side is completely normal.

3) I've been getting a few random red spots on my body. Arms, butt, back, legs... They itch, and kinda look like bug bites. Is that normal?

4) How long does it take for the medicine to do something/anyyything? I'm in sooo much pain and they symptoms are just as bad as before...

5) usually how long does the first ob last? I'm on day 5 and like i've said, no sign of slowing down...

6) Will I have an outbreak every time I have sex? (I'm guessing that's what triggered it this time....)

7) How do I prevent the sores from sticking to my underwear? This is one of the things that causes me tremendous pain!!! Once when I had to go to the bathroom, it stuck so bad that when i screamed in pain to un-stick it, that I started bleeding. I swear, everytime I go to the bathroom I cry! Either from this or from the burning...

Thank you to those who took the time to read this... I'm just really depressed. and I know it's nobody's fault but my own but it just seems really unfair. And it's not helping that everyone says that i don't look myself and that i look very down and sad these past few days. ugh... anyways, thanks again!

Last edited by Soja; 09-26-2012 at 09:54 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Soja
859006057 (10-02-2012), elizabeth62 (09-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: First OB, have a few questions...?

[QUOTE=Soja;5062677]
I'm in SO much pain. It hurts to walk from how swollen I am and I'm scared of drinking water because I really don't wanna go to the bathroom. You should get a spray bottle, fill it with water and when ever you have to pee spray yourself or keep a cup of water to pour on yourself as you pee, this will help a lot with the pain and stinging. You can try oatmeal baths. Also you want to try to keep the area as dry as possible so at night try wearing a night shirt with no panties and after the shower you can try to use a blow dryer on low/cool to dry off. When wearing panties make sure they are cotton and not tight, you want to avoid tight clothing while having an OB.

(sorry i wrote so much, I just realized I'm kinda using this to vent. at least someone knows what i'm going through....) Thats what we are here for

But anyways I have a few q's:

1) Should I get a blood test anyway? or should I just take the doc's word? After all he seemed so confident and it looks just like every picture I've seen... I have all the symptoms except flu-like stuff. I have however been feeling very light headed/dizzy, nauseous, and with cold sweats. (yesterday i had high blood pressure but i don't know if it was caused by anxiety or not)I would suggest to get a blood test, not because of doubt in the doctor but it is always good to know which type you have. Ask for the IgG herpes type specific blood test

2) Is all the swelling normal? One side is 3x it's normal size. That's where all the sores are so it makes sense i guess. the other side is completely normal. Yes, this is normal .. swollen lymph nodes

3) I've been getting a few random red spots on my body. Arms, butt, back, legs... They itch, and kinda look like bug bites. Is that normal? Hmm not sure if that has to do with the virus or not, maybe it is an allergic reaction to something?

4) How long does it take for the medicine to do something/anyyything? I'm in sooo much pain and they symptoms are just as bad as before...Sometimes it can take a few days 3-7 days..

5) usually how long does the first ob last? I'm on day 5 and like i've said, no sign of slowing down... It is hard to say, everyone's body is different, sometimes it can last up to 2 weeks

6) Will I have an outbreak every time I have sex? (I'm guessing that's what triggered it this time....)Most likely no

7) How do I prevent the sores from sticking to my underwear? This is one of the things that causes me tremendous pain!!! Once when I had to go to the bathroom, it stuck so bad that when i screamed in pain to un-stick it, that I started bleeding. I swear, everytime I go to the bathroom I cry! Either from this or from the burning...Try to go comando, wear skirts anything to keep air flowing to keep it dry

I hope you feel better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
Soja (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

Soja HB User

Thank you soooo much! Your answers really helped! I've gotten a lil better but still have a way to go. :/ Hopefully it'll only last a few more days. Never thought it'd be this painful! But anyways, thanks again for taking the time to reply! I reallyyyy appreciate it!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

layla87 HB Userlayla87 HB User

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!

Like stated above... I would definitely go get a blood test. It's good to know what type you have just so you can stay in control of it. The more you know the better!

The swelling is totally normal. The bumps on your skin... Could they maybe be a reaction to the medicine? Maybe when you go to the doctor to get a blood test ask for a prescription to Valtrex. That works best and it may work faster than what you are taking. I think that it's supposed to be the best. Also ask for a prescription to Lidocaine Hydrochloride Jelly. It will make your life so much easier! During my first outbreak, going to the bathroom was the worst. I had the same problem you are having and was trying not to drink fluids so I wouldn't have to feel the burning. The jelly numbs wherever you put it. You just need to put it on before you go to the bathroom and it works instantly!

The first outbreak is always the worst and can be long but don't worry... It will never be this bad again!

The Following User Says Thank You to layla87 For This Useful Post:
Soja (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

Soja HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla87 View Post
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!

Like stated above... I would definitely go get a blood test. It's good to know what type you have just so you can stay in control of it. The more you know the better!

The swelling is totally normal. The bumps on your skin... Could they maybe be a reaction to the medicine? Maybe when you go to the doctor to get a blood test ask for a prescription to Valtrex. That works best and it may work faster than what you are taking. I think that it's supposed to be the best. Also ask for a prescription to Lidocaine Hydrochloride Jelly. It will make your life so much easier! During my first outbreak, going to the bathroom was the worst. I had the same problem you are having and was trying not to drink fluids so I wouldn't have to feel the burning. The jelly numbs wherever you put it. You just need to put it on before you go to the bathroom and it works instantly!

The first outbreak is always the worst and can be long but don't worry... It will never be this bad again!

Thanks Layla! I'll definitely ask for the lidocaine hydrochloride jelly! I really don't wanna feel this pain ever again! I thought they were the same medication basically, but I'll definitely ask my doctor about Valtrex. I don't think the Acyclovir that I took helped too much. By the high dosage (800mg 4x a day) I thought it would've helped more and faster... But anyway, thanks again!

Closed Thread