It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

HydroJasper HB User
Unhappy Very confused and scared-Newly diagnosed

Hello everyone,

First I want to say that this is a great website and I've learned a lot by browsing. However, I'm still really confused about some things and I searched but still can't get a clear answer. Here's my story:

Today I was diagnosed with genital herpes, though I do not yet know what type. I have had two partners this year. One was my long term boyfriend and we did not use condoms. The other was a one night stand and we did use a condom. My boyfriend and I broke up and I had the one night stand while we weren't together. However, I recently had sex with my (ex)boyfriend (unprotected...facepalm) and a day or so later I had intense itching in my vaginal area. I often have irritation after sex and we hadn't had sex in a while so I didn't think anything of it. We had sex again two days after the itching began. That night my vagina hurt quite badly (again, not uncommon because I have vaginismus) but I found a small bump in my inner labia. Two days after this I had full blown sores. I went to the doctor today (5 days after the last time I had sex, 7 days since being itchy) and the doctor took one look and said it was herpes. She had blood drawn and said she was doing a few tests and we would be able to tell if I just contracted herpes or if I've had it for a while. She also had me pee in a cup, but did not do a swab of the sores. After reading a lot of things, I'm really, really confused. Everything I've read says that blood tests shouldn't be done until weeks after the first outbreak, but she did one today while I'm still on my first ob. So, what does that mean? And, what did she mean when she said we would be able to tell if I just got it or have had it? Am I right in assuming that if my blood tests have low anitbodies it suggests that I just now contracted herpes and if they're high it means I've had it for a while and just didn't have symptoms? I'm also extremely scared to tell my ex that I have it. I told the one night stand guy (because I thought it was the right thing to do, and I told him I'd had sex with my ex since then so I might have just contracted it) and he freaked out and was very mean to me. I'm afraid that my ex is going to react the same way and try to make it out like I knew I had it and gave it to him or something....especially if the tests come back showing I've had it for a while. Sorry this is so long, I just want to try to include as many details as possible.

Summary:
-Diagnosed with genital herpes by GYN today via visual inspection of sores
-Got blood drawn for tests (she mentioned a few tests, but I'm not sure exactly what they are called)
-Was not swab tested, but gave a urine sample
-Was told she can tell me if I just contracted it or have had it for a while
-Very confused on how blood tests work and how she will be able to know (generally) when I got it
-Very scared to tell my partner, since telling my other partner was a traumatic experience.

Please help, I'm so confused, scared and depressed. Thank you so much in advance and thanks for all the info I've learned from other posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Very confused and scared-Newly diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJasper View Post
Summary:
-Was not swab tested, but gave a urine sample She probably didn't culture the sores because if had been longer then 24-48hrs since they appeared which could give a false negative, the urine test was probably for something else and not herpes
-Was told she can tell me if I just contracted it or have had it for a while
-Very confused on how blood tests work and how she will be able to know (generally) when I got itWell if it was very recent the test may come back negative, with the past 4 months may show a lower positive and a higher number will indicate you had it longer
-Very scared to tell my partner, since telling my other partner was a traumatic experience.It sounds like you may have had it for a while though, maybe it was behind the itchiness after sex when with your ex. I am just saying this because the virus can be confused with other things such as a yeast infection. I am not saying this is the case but a thought. I would wait until you get your results back and then tell your ex. I would just tell him the truth that you started feeling weird after having sex and then you went to the doctors and she said you have herpes and just suggest that he be tested via IgG herpes type specific blood test. [[/B]

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
HydroJasper (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

HydroJasper HB User

Thank you so much for your (very fast!) reply!! I'm literally crying because it's so good to know that there is a community out there that understands what I'm going through. I agree with you that I might have already had it...it just seems to me that it's the thing that makes the most sense. I definitely will take your advice on how to tell him. I'm still nervous but it helps having someone else kinda write it out for you like you did for me. Thank you so much, will keep you updated as I learn more.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

No problem! I am glad I could help, this virus seems to be much more emotionally draining then physically but everything will get better, no worries on that. If you ever need to vent or ask questions this is the place.

Closed Thread