It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

Rugby87 HB User
Diagnosed with HSV2... Worried about my unborn baby.

I'm 25 years old. I have a good job. I'm a responsible adult. I have a wonderful and loving boyfriend of almost 3 years. We can call him J. We are expecting our first child. I'm 20 weeks today. The twist is J has HSV-2. We thought we were being careful...

Approximately 3 weeks ago my midwife sent me to have blood work done.. Various routine tests...

2 days ago she called me back. I came back positive for HSV. I am terrified. I had a blood test at my first appointment at 7-8 weeks. My first question is do they test for that is the first blood test? If so, and it came back negative, that would mean I've caught it between then and now. Again, even more terrifying. I haven't found any good news online about this situation. I have an appt with my midwife in a few days... So I will be able to ask lots if questions then... But I literally cannot think I anything else right now. My baby hasn't even been born and I've already put his or her life in danger. I feel completely helpless. My midwife did ask me if I had had any outbreaks. I said no. And to my knowledge, I have not had any. However, now I'm paranoid..... Just yesterday I Started to feel something... Yesterday is was a tickle or an itch around my butt (so embarrassed right now), and today I felt a tingle around my vulva. It wasnt for very long thought... a few seconds and then it was gone. Now.... I can't really tell what it is that I'm feeling and if it really is out of the ordinary... As a women we get all sorts of funny little itches here and there... What if I'm or of those people who never had a visible outbreak?!?!? How will I know if I'm having an outbreak when I go into labour????? I really need to know what I am looking for. I need to know if my baby will be ok... Mentally and physically... Can the baby get the virus while inside of me???

I've also heard it takes a while before you have enough antibodies to test positive for HSV... Could that mean I've caught it before... From anything I've read so far that seems to be the best case scenario... Then my body will have enough antibodies to pas to the baby to protect him or her....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with HSV2... Worried about my unborn baby.

Hello,
I am not sure if they test you for the virus initially, since you did test positive this time can you ask her what your numeric values were?

I know that just getting it in your thirst trimester may cause issues but for the most part as long as your on antiviral medication during your last month this will help keep down the chances of an outbreak. If you do have an outbreak when your in labor a C-section would normally be done.

I wouldn't stress it too much, just find out from her if she did an std test initially for herpes.

I hope all goes well, best wishes to you!!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
(male)

KB65534 HB User

Why would it matter when you contracted it? At this point, you've found out that you have it, and its good that you now know this. Whether you contracted it last week, last month, or last year will make no difference to you or your baby. The only thing that does matter is that you have it, so it makes sense to take anti-viral medication and to consider a C-Section. Otherwise, get over it. Chances are good that its not going to harm your baby, and all you can do is take reasonable precautions. Stressing and worrying will not accomplish anything.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB65534 View Post
Why would it matter when you contracted it? At this point, you've found out that you have it, and its good that you now know this. Whether you contracted it last week, last month, or last year will make no difference to you or your baby. The only thing that does matter is that you have it, so it makes sense to take anti-viral medication and to consider a C-Section. Otherwise, get over it. Chances are good that its not going to harm your baby, and all you can do is take reasonable precautions. Stressing and worrying will not accomplish anything.
I agree that stress does not help, but depending on when a woman contracts it during her pregnancy is important to know.

A woman who contracts herpes before pregnancy passes herpes antibodies on to her fetus, which protects it from contracting the virus. The child loses these antibodies post partem.

Infants are more at risk of contracting the virus during later stages of pregnancy, particularly the last trimester, because the motherís body does not have time to produce antibodies.

I guess its important to woman that would like to have a natural birth or I mean being pregnant and wanting to protect your child is always going to be a concern.

I am sure when she talks to her Dr they will be able to help her out more

Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
(male)

KB65534 HB User

I understand that babies' risk for contracting herpes is higher in cases of mothers contracting herpes during pregnancy than in cases of mothers contracting it before pregnancy.

In this case, however, it does not matter. My point is that its a done deal. Whether she caught it before she became pregnant will not change her care plan. I strongly suspect that any conservative OB will want her taking anti-virals either way, just as they will be more apt to recommend a C-Section if she is having an outbreak while in labor.

So, there is no point in fretting over when she contracted it, because this information will change nothing.

Nevertheless, I think the information you posted is good to know.

Closed Thread

Tags
herpes, pregnancy