It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

jstrick78 HB User
Tested Positive with HSV1

Had tingling on bottom lip and now cold sore. First recall hugging family friend
cheek to cheek and for 2 months had a bump or 2 on cheek. I dont know if I have had this condition for years or from the friend 3 months ago. Is there any way to know? I heard something like if it can spread on my body its new and if it was years ago then its unspreadable to myself. Do I use a q tip and
try on arm or something? Help!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
(male)

KB65534 HB User
Re: Tested Positive with HSV1

I think it makes very little difference when you contracted it. Fortunately, there is a topical medication sold over the counter for herpes on the lips (aka. cold sores) called "Abreva." It is the only FDA approved medication for this that has been proven in clinical studies to reduce the amount of time over which it will heel. Valtrex (an anti-viral medication) is also effective at reducing the amount of time that over which herpes sores heel, and it is effective in treating both genital herpes and cold sores. You can arm yourself by using Abreva and by getting a prescription for Valtrex or a generic anti-viral for herpes. Be careful about buying over the counter cold sore remedies. There must be 25 or so different ones sold at Walgreens, but most of them are just snake oil and a waste of money. Make sure you are buying Abreva.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to know when you were first infected, and even if there were, would you do anything differently knowing that its from a long time ago or knowing that its from two months ago? Probably not.

No, don't do anything with Q-tips; you'll only aggravate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

jstrick78 HB User
Smile Re: Tested Positive with HSV1

Thanks for the info! I have contacted my Doctors nurse to tell me (if they can or will), what the HSV1 and HSV2 numbers were from the blood test. So far the only thing I know is HSV1 Positive and HSV2 Negative. I have had off and on major jock itch with a sometimes yellowy discharge in the area for about 38 years. I used to think that I got it from the rope climb back in PE class in 7th grade. Coming down off of the rope I slid down the rope and got rope burn but who knows. I'm sure alot of sweaty hands and legs carried alot
of diesease, especially back then when I first heard of herpes.

Is it possible that my blood test results could be slightly below the retake
test result and I could have HSV2 as well, or does negative HSV2 render a
no means no test. Also could I have HSV1 (Genitally) as well as cold sores.

I have'nt recalled getting cold sores very often or at all, just chapped lips
and itching lips. And the very day after my blood tests I get a red bump near
the corner of my mouth on my lower lip. I have had a little white bump on my
lower bottom lip near the cold sore that I thought could have been herpes for sometime. It does'nt get bigger or smaller I have just accepted it (whatever it is).

Anymore info would be appreciated as I am a type 2 diabetic so things don't heel quick.

Thanks Again!

Closed Thread