It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

bobby2783 HB User
Please help me interpret my herpes test result.

Hi all,

Recently I had a condom break while having sex. Being worried, I went to a doctor and got tested for all STDs. All results came negative except for the HSV tests. Below are the results:

HSV1 IgG: Negative. Level: 0.05
HSV1 IgM: Negative. Level: 0.11
HSV2 IgG: Positive. Level: 5.57
HSV2 IgM: Negative. Level:0.64

Does this mean that I have been diagnosed with genital herpes? and is there any possibility that it is a false positive?

Confused with the overload of information. Please Help

Thanks,
Bobby

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Please help me interpret my herpes test result.

Hi,
You indeed tested positive for HSV 2 and it looks like it has been in your system for sometime and not from a recent encounter. Normally if the number is over 5 it has been in your system for at least 4 months or longer sometimes years.

HSV2 is typically genital but these days can be interchangeable and be oral. Have you every had any sores or itchiness in either spot? Sometimes the virus can mimic symptoms of jock itch.

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
bobby2783 (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
(male)

bobby2783 HB User

Thanks for the affirmation

I have had cases of jock itch but never noticed any signs of visible rash / sores in my genital areas. As for oral, never had a case as well.

Should i be taking any medication and what are the treatments available for HSV2? Is thr any cure for HSV2?
Are there any chances that it is a false positive? cant believe this is happening to me.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2783 View Post
Thanks for the affirmation

I have had cases of jock itch but never noticed any signs of visible rash / sores in my genital areas. As for oral, never had a case as well.

Should i be taking any medication and what are the treatments available for HSV2? Is thr any cure for HSV2?
Are there any chances that it is a false positive? cant believe this is happening to me.

Thanks
Hello,
If you are not having an outbreak or signs/symptoms you are doing something right already The best thing to do is keep your immune system up and stress levels down. Some people opt to take L-Lysine its an over the counter supplement that helps a bit to keep OBs under control.

Honestly as much as I would love to say yes there is a chance for a false positive that normally happens when the numeric values are a low positive (under 3.00) so chances of that are rare. If you wanted though you could always get another blood test a few months down the line but I don't think the results are going to change.

Having the virus will just shift the way you live a little bit, meaning you just have to be more responsible when it comes to sex or sexual contact. Other then that you are the same person and nothing else has changed.

There is no cure for this as of now but there are treatments such as Valtrex when you are having an outbreak or if you wanted to go on suppressive therapy to help keep outbreaks and risk of transmission low.

I know this is hard to find out but it is more emotionally draining then physically and just a pesky skin condition in the grand scheme of things.

If you have any more questions or want to vent this is the perfect place for it.

The following user gives a hug of support to angeleyz81:
bobby2783 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
(male)

bobby2783 HB User

Hey,

Its definitely emotionally draining more then anything else. Im just afraid how this would affect my future relationships and the stigma associated with it. Nobody wants to date a guy who has a std. Yes, i could have a worse condition. I guess ill just have to look @ the brightside.

Many things are crossing my mind, Shld i tell my parents?? and if and when i do get into a relationship, shld i be informing my girlfriend about my condition? (I live in a close minded community. More often then not, ppl will look down at me and reject me if they find out that I have hsv2. Im not even sure how my parents would react)... These are all things for me to consider now. It just becomes more complicated i guess. Im sorry im just venting. Dont really have anywhere else to vent!

Another question, if i opt not to take valtrex, how do i prevent transmission? and what are the side effects to taking valtrex?

This forum and u have been a life savior.

Many thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
(male)

bobby2783 HB User

Hey,

Its definitely emotionally draining more then anything else. Im just afraid how this would affect my future relationships and the stigma associated with it. Nobody wants to date a guy who has a std. Yes, i could have a worse condition. I guess ill just have to look @ the brightside.

Many things are crossing my mind, Shld i tell my parents?? and if and when i do get into a relationship, shld i be informing my girlfriend about my condition? (I live in a close minded community. More often then not, ppl will look down at me and reject me if they find out that I have hsv2. Im not even sure how my parents would react)... These are all things for me to consider now. It just becomes more complicated i guess. Im sorry im just venting. Dont really have anywhere else to vent!

Another question, if i opt not to take valtrex, how do i prevent transmission? and what are the side effects to taking valtrex?

Many thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
(female)

Okay2day HB User

I believe I'm just ahead of you in the "dealing" process... Maybe I can give some insight?

I contracted the little gift from the last guy I was serious about, he swears he didn't know, and because I choose not to be angry about it, I'm believed him.
I found out when I had my first OB November of last year, nov. 11th.

Don't feel like no one will ever want to date you again, the fact that you're so worried about it, means you're a fairly decent/sensetive guy, once passed their late 20's, women find those traits attractive lol

I choose to tell my mom, but not my dad. I had text her the night before I was diagnosed telling her I was in pain and was scared, that I knew it was likely herpes but I needed to be sure. I'm lucky I suppose, she took the day off work to sit through the ordeal at my doctors with me... She was more hurt FOR me and wanted to make sure I was ok.
My brother, 3 years my junior, is one of my best friends... It wasn't too hard to tell him, I knew he wouldn't judge me... He knows its something that's been a battle for me to deal with, after a few questions, he shrugged it off and said it didn't change how he feels about me.

I asked them both NOT to tell my father. I'm not sure why exactly I'm not comfortable with him knowing... But I just don't want to feel his disappointment or even his sympathy because of it. I know he would still love me, but it's just not something I want on his paternal platter. We have a pretty good relationship, but with this kind of secret, well, it's a really "go at your own pace" kind of thing.

If and when you get close to another girl again, you should definitely tell her, and let it be her decision. I've been dating a friend recently, we were friends 3 years previously... I've purposely kept things light, but he hasn't pressured me either. We really like each other, and I have been going crazy wondering how to tell him and how he will take it.
I'm sort of hopeing he will have fallen in love with me before sex becomes a bigger presense in our relationship, and when I DO tell him, he will decide I'm worth the risk. I will tell him. I thought "maybe I don't have to tell, since its so common, and if anything ever comes up, I can "swear I didn't know!"
I thought about stayin single... I thought about just always insisting on protection and keeping my secret as long as possible. But none if those things are honest. I know if our roles were reversed, I would want him to tell me, and I respect him enough to give him the choice. If you keep that at the forefront of your thoughts, next time you're close to someone, you'll make the right choices.
I'll let you know how it turns out lol

As far as the valtrex goes, I haven't a clue. My doctor described me Famciclovir, another antiviral, it's cheaper but from what I read, is the same. I only took it to help get over the initial OB, that and 1000 Mgs of Lysine a day, had me healed up in less than 2 weeks. In the year since then I've not seen or felt anything to suggest I ever had it (most if the time you can forget about it all together, it's not going to control your life) until this week... I finally had a second OB, which is why I ended up on this site. It would have been a year next month! Usually, to keep it away, I just eat better than I did, and try to keep myself happy and protect my immune system. I keep a bottle of the antivirals at home just in case another outbreak should come up. The medication can be used as a suppressant for the virus, but it can't suppress it completely. Most people only take it as OB relief, and as added protection when sexually active in a relationship.
A friend if mine told me she's gone three years now without an OB, no meds or special care on her part. so just take care if yourself, and try not to freak out over things. The more you stress and worry, the weaker your immune system is and the more likely youll bring on a flare up.
Mine happened because I had a bad night...let some dark thoughts get the better of me and depressed me, so I decided I wanted to get drunk... Got too drunk and got sick lol those things combined with the wonky seasonal weather = an OB... It's annoying but at least now I know what to avoid... Jerk off ex's and jack Daniels lol

Keep researching... The more knowledge you get, the more in control of it you will feel... Hope my prattling on helped you some, if anything made you feel better about it.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2783 View Post
Hey,

Many thanks.
Hey there!

It is up to you to disclose this information to family, if you feel comfortable you can if you are worried about a reaction then maybe not because many people are not knowledgeable and pass judgement.

There is no way to prevent transmission other than not having any sexual contact with someone. You can lower the risk of transmission by using condoms so you do not need to take valtrex daily , if you do take it daily it will help reduce the risk a bit more.

I am not too sure about the side effects but I am sure there are some. I am a person that doesn't like to take medication if I do not have to so suppressive therapy is something I opted not to do.

Closed Thread