It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

addsleo HB User
Could this be herpes? Please help!!!

so two days ago i found just one bump thats looks like a pimple (it has a tiny white-head) inside my inner left labia towards the top right near the utherea and it's only tender when i touch it, and it's fairly hard and a little smaller than pea-sized but not by much and the tenderness has gone down since i've noticed it. i'm really scared and just paranoid that might be herpes but it doesn't burn or itch or tingle and i haven't had any textbook symptoms but i know that herpes can resemble pimples so i'm just really scared any idea what it sounds like or what it could be? could it be a swollen gland/cyst or pimple? i'm going to the doctor this weekend but i just need piece of mind until then please help!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
(male)

KB65534 HB User
Re: Could this be herpes? Please help!!!

It could be any number of things. The only way to know for certain if it is herpes is to test the actual sore. If you have no sores that can be reliably tested, then the only way to know for sure is to have a blood test, which might not detect herpes until 4-6 months after you were first infected.

Do not assume that you have herpes, and do not try to diagnose yourself. You will only drive yourself crazy. If, after reliable testing it turns out you have herpes, then its not that big of a deal. A very high percentage of the population in the U.S. test postive for at least one of HSV I or HSV II. Either type can infect the genitals, just as either type can infect lips (AKA cold sores). HSV I is more often found around the mouth area, and HSV II is more often found on genitals. Herpes tends to recur from time to time, but its hardly the worst thing in the world.

I had several different Dr.'s diagnose me with genital herpes two years ago, and I recently found-out that I do not have HSV I or HSV II. I've had numerous recent blood tests for herpes, all of which are unequivocally negative. The first Dr. who diagnosed me with herpes ordered what is called the "Tzank test," which is old and unreliable. It involves swabbing a sore and then examining material collected from the sore under a microscope. If you have sores, then the best testing involves swabbing the sore and either growing a culture or testing for herpes DNA. The one that looks for herpes DNA from testing a sore is called the "PCR" test. There is also an HSV PCR blood test. A Dr. on an STD board recently informed me that there is no such PCR blood test, but he is mistaken, as I am looking at the result of my HSV PCR blood test that was ordered by my doctor and carried out by Quest Labs.

My overall point is that there are now several very reliable tests for herpes, and if you have reason to suspect genital herpes then you should ask your Dr. to test a sore or lesion before diagnosing you with genital herpes. If you have no sores or lesions and suspect that you might have been exposed to herpes, then get one of the blood tests. The blood tests are also extremely reliable, but sometimes won't detect herpes until 4-6 months after the first infection. When I was first diagnosed with herpes, it is likely that I had a fungal infection. Indeed, I've searched the Internet for pictures of herpes sores as well as fungal infections, and I found a few examples of fungal infections that very much look like examples of photos of herpes sores. There are also other things that can cause sores or lesions on genitals. Please post back how things went with your Dr. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

addsleo HB User
Re: Could this be herpes? Please help!!!

I went to planned parenthood yesterday and the NP said it looked nothing like any STD and i should have nothing to worry about, and that it was a clogged pore but she swabbed the bump and is testing it just in case, i'm still a little worried but the bump hasn't changed at all and it's been 5 days but i'm planning on going to a doctor for a second opinion because i'm still stressing over it

Closed Thread

Tags
herpes confused, symptoms