It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

pennydoo HB User
HSV2 Confirmed Today - Doctor says possible false positive?!

Hi All,

Exactly 7 days ago I noticed a small red bump on my genital area - it looked no worse than a pimple (but just red, no white or anything). I thought it was maybe an ingrown hair but it didnít hurt or anything so I went to a walk-in clinic a couple days later (it was starting to go away, but I went anyway). He looked, said it looked like nothing to worry about, but did a swab to be sure.

Today Ė less than a week later, I got the call to say it tested positive for HSV2. Iím shocked because the mark was so small, never blistered, scabbed, hurt, itched and healed in a few days. This is (from what I know) my first outbreak...

The doctor that gave me my results was also very surprised and he took a second look at my genital area and said everything looks really healthy and the red mark is completely gone. He actually said he is questioning if it is a false-positive from the swab.

But from what Iíve read since online a false-positive from a swab is almost impossible Ė is this right? Iím planning on going in tomorrow and asking for the blood test, but I understand that is less accurate than the swab?

Iím shocked, upset and canít stop crying. I donít want to hold on to hope of a false-positive if itís really unlikely, but even the doctor said it (more than once!) so now Iím left so confused...

Is it worth going in and asking for more tests? Any advice is appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
(female)

pennydoo HB User
Re: HSV2 Confired Today - Doctor says possible false-positive?!

So today I went to an actual STI clinic and they said no clinic or doctor in my province will do the blood test because it is too unreliable... Anyone else ever experienced this?!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
(male)

lb2018 HB User
Re: HSV2 Confired Today - Doctor says possible false-positive?!

Hello Penny, I also was diagnosed today on the 31 Oct 2012. I never had a breakout and had blood test done earlier in the year everything was negative now I just tested positive for HSV2. I'm not sure when I got it I just did two blood test is there another way to test for this. I'm told blood test is not accurate.

Closed Thread