It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

licoricecat HB User
Confused by negative Herpes IGG test. Help please!

My problem is I got a negative score on the Herpes IGG for type 1 and 2. But I had several coldsore outbreaks...the first one a year ago. I understand that a year is more than enough time for the test to be accurate. Iīve heard a recommendation of waiting 6 months from the first outbreak. So how come I came out negative?
Also, the reason I decided to take the test is because I started a sexual relationship with another woman. We made out...just kissing on the lips, face, and body. I didnīt have any coldsores at the time, so I took the chance. We did not have oral sex or regular sex at all. The day after I disclosed that I believed I had herpes 1, this was akward. Then 2 weeks later the worst case scenario occured...she got her first cold sore outbreak on her lips and on her gums. Now I feel bad because I may have infected her. But now it turns out Iīm negative...so Iīm confused.

My history:

In January of 2011 I had my first cold sore outbreak...2 coldsores came out. Looked to me just like a coldsore. I went online and compared to many pictures of cold sores. I even used abreva and it helped stop them. One fully developed and I accidently pulled off the scab too early and it left a scar.

I think a month later I had another outbreak. Identified this by the tingly feeling...but abreva helped stop them. I got them early. Iīm now wondering if on one of these occasions it was in my head.

I think I had at least a couple more outbreaks but they didnīt come out much because I got the abreva on them. I just got the tingly sensation.

Itīs now a year later January 2012 and I went to get the Herpes 1 and 2 IGG blood Test

My results were Negative.
Herpes Select 1 IGG 0.29
Herpes Select 2 IGG 0.21

The Herpes IGM was 0.75
Also a negative, although I read this test is unreliable.

What does this mean? I swear I had cold sores on my outer lips. Could this test be a false negative? Itīs been a year since my first outbreak ever? Should I get tested again?
Tags: Herpes, false igg

Last edited by licoricecat; 01-21-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: needed to add facts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
(male)

Vince017 HB User
Re: Confused by negative Herpes IGG test. Help please!

Hi,
I'm waiting on the my blood test results at the moment, but i was told by my doctor that after 6 months and the test is still negative, it is conclusive. I suggest getting a doctor to see it when sores appear again because you can misdiagnose yourself and it could be something different from herpes. that's potentially dangerous.

When was the last time you had a sexual encounter? That is a big factor into testing. let's say you had an encounter 2 weeks before testing, then there's a probability of false negative. At least from what I've read thus far.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

licoricecat HB User
Re: Confused by negative Herpes IGG test. Help please!

Well it had been almost 2 years since my last sexual encounter. I got the cold sore a year ago. And I am now taking the test...so it should be conclusive. Iīm going to test again in a month to double check. If I am truly negative...what was the cold sore? What else could it be? I had more than one outbreak...so I think I do have it.

I did recently have another encounter, like I said before. I made out with a woman and then she had an outbreak 2 weeks later. Her first one. But now that I tested negative...maybe I didnīt give it to her maybe she had it previously and didnīt have an outbreak until now and she may have infected me now. Who knows.
But of course I have to wait at least 6 months to know if I got it from her. The thing is Iīm trying to figure out if I gave it to her...I told her I had cold sores and may have given it to her.

Closed Thread

Tags
herpes