HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   Help: Looking for Relevant Stats/Information (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/938386-help-looking-relevant-stats-information.html)

krsn 02-06-2013 05:01 PM

Help: Looking for Relevant Stats/Information

My gf has just found out she has genital herpes though is still waiting for the swab to come back to specify which type it is. It was a bit of a shock to both of us as we haven't even been going out a month. This and a few other circumstances that I won't go into are making things a little complicated for me as I'm not sure, after such a short period of time together, that committing myself to the possibility of a life long infection is a wise choice.

Thing is we really like each other and personally I don't see it as a major issue as long as the risk of transmission is reasonably low.. My problem is finding out any specific information as I've seen numbers ranging from less then 1% without an outbreak to far far higher again without an outbreak. All of which seems to be anecdotal at best with very few of them citing any objective research. (Protected sex of course.)

I've been gathering as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision on how to procede. I was hoping that some of the more experienced and knowledgeable users on this board could possibly point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

k

PS: In saying all this I've read plenty about people being carriers without knowing so I'll be going for a blood test on Monday to check myself out too.

Thanks for reading :)

Ruthiepegs 02-12-2013 04:49 AM

Re: Help: Looking for Relevant Stats/Information

I can't give you any stats but can give you my personal experience and hopefully put your mind at rest. I'm female and have had genital herpes for nearly 30 years now. When I was first diagnosed, I thought it was the end of the world, but really, it isn't - worse things can happen.

The first thing I want to tell you is that I've been married for nearly 20 years and my husband has not got it from me. We've just been sensible and done what we thought was best, which was no sex during an outbreak and really waiting until it had cleared up. I always keep my towel separate from the rest of my family during an outbreak too.

Until a few years ago, I suffered monthly outbreaks of herpes, sometimes more than once a month and it really got me down. I now live in Germany and my GP (who practices homeopathy too) suggested I have a course of 10 injections to boost my immune system (here it's called Eigenblut Therapy). It's an alternative therapy, used more often in Europe than in the States and I think the English name for it is Autohemotherapy. What happens is that a small amount of blood is taken from a vein in my arm and mixed with something (not quite sure what it is) and it's then reinjected into the muscle of my buttock. After each treatment, I've stayed clear for just over a year and then when it starts again, I just get another lot of injections! ;) This treatment has been like an absolute miracle for me. I get about one to two outbreaks a year now (if that) - it's not a cure, but has improved the quality of my life (and naturally my husband and family) so much!!

Please don't give up on your girlfriend, it might seem awful at the moment but I promise you things WILL get better and you'll learn to live with it, so much so that you won't really think about it any more.

I hope I've been of some help to you and please pass this info onto your girlfriend. Take care. :wave:

krsn 02-12-2013 04:58 AM

[QUOTE=Ruthiepegs;5132090]I can't give you any stats but can give you my personal experience and hopefully put your mind at rest. I'm female and have had genital herpes for nearly 30 years now. When I was first diagnosed, I thought it was the end of the world, but really, it isn't - worse things can happen.

The first thing I want to tell you is that I've been married for nearly 20 years and my husband has not got it from me. We've just been sensible and done what we thought was best, which was no sex during an outbreak and really waiting until it had cleared up. I always keep my towel separate from the rest of my family during an outbreak too.

Until a few years ago, I suffered monthly outbreaks of herpes, sometimes more than once a month and it really got me down. I now live in Germany and my GP (who practices homeopathy too) suggested I have a course of 10 injections to boost my immune system (here it's called Eigenblut Therapy). It's an alternative therapy, used more often in Europe than in the States and I think the English name for it is Autohemotherapy. What happens is that a small amount of blood is taken from a vein in my arm and mixed with something (not quite sure what it is) and it's then reinjected into the muscle of my buttock. After each treatment, I've stayed clear for just over a year and then when it starts again, I just get another lot of injections! ;) This treatment has been like an absolute miracle for me. I get about one to two outbreaks a year now (if that) - it's not a cure, but has improved the quality of my life (and naturally my husband and family) so much!!

Please don't give up on your girlfriend, it might seem awful at the moment but I promise you things WILL get better and you'll learn to live with it, so much so that you won't really think about it any more.

I hope I've been of some help to you and please pass this info onto your girlfriend. Take care. :wave:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply! I've already decided that I want to be with her regardless, seems like such a small thing now that I've educated myself about it.. Life goes on!

Ruthiepegs 02-12-2013 10:05 AM

So pleased you've come to that decision. Hopefully, she won't get as many outbreaks as I've had but just in case, please keep that treatment I told you about in mind. You're so right, life goes on. xx