It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

elle13 HB User
Genital HSV1 Questions

Last year I was diagnosed with genital HSV1 and I don't think I've had any OB's since my initial one.

I've been seeing someone and we've recently discussed taking things to the next level. He is aware of my STI - and is ok with it and we are going to take the necessary precautions but I have a few questions.

1. He told me he had blood testing done to see if he had any STI's which came back negative but now I've read that HSV is not on a typical test and that you need to request that specifically, is that generally true?

2. Since genital HSV1 typically sheds less than HSV2 does that mean that there could be less of a chance for transmission? I mean, I worry about him even if we are using condoms. I had read that genital-to-genital transmission of HSV1 is less common because that is not typically HSV1's "home" - if that makes sense.

I just like to be as informed as possible regarding things and want to try my best to keep him safe.

The following user gives a hug of support to elle13:
hopecries (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

hopecries HB User
Wink Re: Genital HSV1 Questions

i don't know the answer to your question but i just wanted to tell you how happy it makes me to hear of your understanding bf& how open you felt with him. that is how it shld be. many blessings to you in your relationship&health

The Following User Says Thank You to hopecries For This Useful Post:
elle13 (03-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

SlimBec HB User
Re: Genital HSV1 Questions

Hey, thank you for sharing! I also have HSV-1 and am in a similar situation.
1) In a general STD/STI testing panel, they only test for Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia. He would need to specifically ask for HSV testing.
2) It is extremely rare for HSV-1 to be transmitted when you're not having an OB. Only 10-20% of HSV-1 carriers experience genital outbreaks and they occur less frequently. I still advise taking precautionary measures. Ensure that you are practicing safe sex and that he is fully aware that even if the chances are slim, he could still contract the virus. Full disclosure and honesty is always the best choice, and the fact that you care more about his safety than your intimate relationship will go a long way!

Reply Reply