It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

Mellysue1227 HB User
Ocular herpes

Hi...I was diagnosed with herpetic keratitis over the weekend by my ophthalmologist. He didn't say anything about how contagious it is...just started me on the zirgan gel. I understand its hsv-1 strain and very common but when I called the on call doctor he basically made it sound like I was a walking infectious disease. So my question is exactly how contagious is it? My eye was teary on the first day but that was the extent of it. I have been on the gel since Friday afternoon...I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have 4 small children one of which is always crawling into my bed. The on call doc said he can't lay on my pillows or blankets...no sharing towels and so on. I wiped my eyes then the rest of my face after the shower...should I be concerned about having now spread it to my mouth? I know I'm worried about a fairly benign virus that is present in the vast majority of the population but the last thing I want to do is spread it elsewhere on my body or even worse my husband and kids. My doctor didn't even mention it could be contagious...not even the slightest concern. I thought maybe my other eye while my infected eye was tearing but again no mention. I brought it up to my OB and he just said oh just good hygiene practices that's fine. So anyway, my question is how contagious is it really? Should I be concerned about my son crawling in my bed or using the same towel to wipe my eyes as the rest of me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

Naturesweetie HB User
Re: Ocular herpes

Herpes is highly contagious, type 1 and type 2. That's why it is so common. I've read it can't live on towels etc, but I'd be very vigilant about hand washing and not touching your face at all, and just to be safe during an outbreak, don't let anyone else touch it or anything that has recently touched your face. Use a small facecloth to dry your face after a shower and dry the outbreak area last, then throw everything in the wash. We don't reuse towels etc anymore just to be safe.

Reply Reply