It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

Bionka1 HB User
No Relief From Daily Valtrex

Hello folks,

I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in Feb. with symptoms that started in Dec. The OB's have been on my right buttock cheek. After being diagnosed the sores started to go away on their own without any medication but I have been taking a multi-vitamin, B12, and L-Lysine. My Dr. did prescribe me Valtrex to take at the onset of another outbreak which I started when I had symptoms around Easter. I took as prescribed, x1 in the morning, x1 in the evening for x3 days. The sores on my bottom started to go away and they came back almost immediately. I made another Dr. appointment and she prescribed me daily Valtrex at 500mg/day. I am now 1 week into this prescription and sores are still appearing almost daily. They start to go away and then BAM, I'm right back to where I started. I am still taking all the vitamins as listed above.

I am beyond frustrated. Should I up my dosage to x2/day and see what happens? Should I stop the medication entirely? May another medication other than Valtrex be the answer? I have been dealing with this since Dec. and I'm really starting to get worried. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

MykolayivMama HB User
Re: No Relief From Daily Valtrex

Hi Bionka,

I am 42 and was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago. They were originally genital ones but in October I started with the outbreaks on my face and mouth. At first I didn't know what they were but then once I found out, I have been searching high and low for something to quicken the healing. I take Valtryx daily but they still happen.

I too, am at a loss as to what to do...

MykolayivMama

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

Bionka1 HB User

Hi Mama,

I'm going to take another pill this evening at 8pm, exactly 12hrs after my morning dose. I have done a bit of research and I think it should be fine to do this a couple of times as there is a 1000mg/day prescription available. My OB's are disappearing and returning on a daily basis so I should be able to tell pretty quickly if the higher dosage helps or not. I'm going to continue with the vitamins also.

Are you on 500mg/day? Have you ever tried increasing your dosage? Have you ever tried anything other than Valtrex?

I'll keep you posted and in the meantime I hope we can both find some relief. I am flying to visit with my boyfriend who is currently working in Asia. He knows about my HSV2 but it would be devastating if we couldn't be physical for our time together.

Thanks for the response

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

fred54 HB User

I take 500mg daily for oral H. and it pretty much keeps mine in check but i do still have the occasional outbreak which is usually due to stress.

Remember to stay away from chocolate, nuts, and caffeine for a while and see if this will help. Those have a way of making you breakout even with meds.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
(female)

tinroofer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred54 View Post
I take 500mg daily for oral H. and it pretty much keeps mine in check but i do still have the occasional outbreak which is usually due to stress.

Remember to stay away from chocolate, nuts, and caffeine for a while and see if this will help. Those have a way of making you breakout even with meds.
Also, alcohol may be a trigger. I get suspicious bumps and a rash feeling if I drink to often. I do take daily acyclovir and will still get those symptoms if I drink too much. Luckily that is the extent of my OB's since the really bad first one.

Also, I used to eat a lot of oatmeal before and did for the first several months after diagnosis. I gave it up totally and things got better.

Different people have different triggers.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
(female)

Bionka1 HB User

So here is a quick update...

I have been taking x1 in the morning and x1 in the evening for a total of 1000mg/day and all spots have disappeared with no OBs, fingers crossed. I'm still taking all vitamins as previously listed.

In regards to chocolate, nuts, etc. I tend not to eat too much of those things anyways but I'm extra cautious now. I've cut back on both drinking and smoking as of recently too. I'm trying to learn my triggers but my OBs seem to be very random.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited by Bionka1; 04-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

Naturesweetie HB User

The first year or so is usually the worst. I've been prescribed a much higher dose for during an outbreak, then a daily dose. I haven't used valtrex at all though, as I just wanted to let my body deal with it on its own. Perhaps a different antiviral would help, and working at lowering stress and keeping up with a healthy diet (lots of veggies/fruit/protein) and cutting out any triggers you may notice. It's a tricky virus, but I've found after the first 2 years, it's slowed down a lot and outbreaks aren't nearly as bad. I too get it on my right butt cheek and the first time was SO painful and I was told I had shingles, so until I had another one, I was clueless. I get it in other areas as well, very painful and frustrating, so hopefully you find what works. I also use a topical antiviral and because mine have gotten infected, a topical antibiotic. See a different doctor or ask about another treatment plan. I was prescribed 2 valtrex, 3 times a day during outbreaks.

Reply Reply