It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #1

moore1 HB User
Question 8 year old w/ high cholesterol!!

I am wondering if I should treat my 8 year old daughter's high cholesterol with drugs or should I leave it alone because she is young. She is thin and active and a restricted diet did not help lower her cholesterol. She has had this problem since she was 4. Her last tests were Total:225 LDL:177. I know there are risks either way but I wonder which is riskier.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Re: 8 year old w/ high cholesterol!!

I just read a blurb in "parent magazine" Feb, issue, about testing your child's cholesterol if they are over 2. I have a 4 year old and the needle is going nowhere near him! That is just how I choose to parent him. I dont understand all this hype about testing children. They arent even sure what the risk factors concerning adults and high cholesterol are. What made you test your child? With all the dangers of statins, I am keeping my child clear of them at this tender age. I know my child metabolizes food diffently than his 40 year old parents. His body also has diffent needs. A childs brain is still develping as well as the rest of their bodies. God help the medical community if they start putting kids on statins and they find out the fat was needed for the development of their brains and bodies. What is going to happen to this generation of kids if they start statins now, when they are in their 40's(?) Just my opinion. I really feel the almighty dollar is at work here with the pharmasutical companies. Has everyone bought their Phizer stock? I know I have a mutual fund with some pharmasutical companies, Phizer is one of them. I am cashing in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 AM   #3

WarBonds HB User

Psalm91,

Right on!! You took the words right out of my mouth! The almighty dollar rules, I mean, just look at the wealth of these drug companies. I am sickened by it all; we as patients just have to use our common sense/gut feelings if or when we should take drugs. Cholesterol drugs for an 8 year old?? That sounds so scandalous. My family doc has been "pushing" cholesterol drugs onto me for over 7 (seven) years and I keep saying no!! I get the 20-30 minute sales pitch every time I have a physical checkup. (I posted my no#s on a POLICOSANOL thread just recently).
I have been reading this High Cholesterol Board since last July (2003) and I have read, as you too, of so many complaints/aches/pains/side effects from taking statins. No wonder people are looking for natural alternatives to lower their "so-called" high numbers.

Just my little rampage for the day!

WarBonds

Old 01-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Inactive

stillwtg HB User

I know that everyone has their own opinion but my nephew is 15 and he's been on cholesterol lowering medication since he was young (i'm not sure what age exactly, but grade school) and he has a disorder inherited from his dad in which the choleterol levels soar (my brother has had 2 open heart surgeries and he's only 38) and his son has these issues too. so, just remember that not all doctors/drug companies are out for money only, there are some people who need them and everyone's case is different. Moore-Just really inform yourself about all options. The disorder my brother has is very rare and no one really knows a ton about it but I'm not so sure I'd be so quick to just dismiss any treatment without really doing research and getting more than one second opinion. good luck.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:40 PM   #5

sam-e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
I just read a blurb in "parent magazine" Feb, issue, about testing your child's cholesterol if they are over 2. I have a 4 year old and the needle is going nowhere near him! That is just how I choose to parent him. I dont understand all this hype about testing children. They arent even sure what the risk factors concerning adults and high cholesterol are. What made you test your child? With all the dangers of statins, I am keeping my child clear of them at this tender age. I know my child metabolizes food diffently than his 40 year old parents. His body also has diffent needs. A childs brain is still develping as well as the rest of their bodies. God help the medical community if they start putting kids on statins and they find out the fat was needed for the development of their brains and bodies. What is going to happen to this generation of kids if they start statins now, when they are in their 40's(?) Just my opinion. I really feel the almighty dollar is at work here with the pharmasutical companies. Has everyone bought their Phizer stock? I know I have a mutual fund with some pharmasutical companies, Phizer is one of them. I am cashing in!
In reply: If your child has known risk factors such as a family hx of heart dz, hyperlipidemia, non-alchohlic fatty liver dz (NASH), is overweight- w/a high bmi index or is adopted, yes- you should have them screened. Also, think, if your child does not have well child checkups after the age of 5, they might have some problems that may be missed until they go for a camp or pe phisical in high school or college.I do agree w/you on the issue of rx statins to children. In the medical practice I work in, we have yet to rx these meds for children under 16. Yes, children do need fat for development, yet w/the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country, we will continue to see health issues once deemed adult being diagnosed in children. My eight yr.old was also recently dx w/high cholesterol, and I elected to have her screened d/t the above reasons. I was actually more concerned about type 2 diabetes, which her paternal grandfather has, and insulin resistance, which I have. I thank God that my MD has an open minded attitude of listening to parents. I might have just passed her chubby little middle and expanding waist line off on "she is just built like her mommy" now I can do something about it now by being more diligent about her diet,exercise and lifestyle. I am being careful not to place too much emphasis on her size or saying it is a diet, I am stressing that we have to be healthy. So pls. don't judge the medical community too harshly.

Last edited by sam-e; 02-16-2004 at 05:42 PM. Reason: adding additional opinon!

Old 02-17-2004, 05:06 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Gee, isn't there some way to get statins and blood pressure medication into the developing fetus...it's a shame to waste all that "pre-birth" time without taking drugs. I know that the drugs can be put into the infant formulas so after birth the role of the drug companies is secure.

Now if they could ONLY induce corpses into continuing to take their medications for several more years....just in CASE!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
Inactive

strongheart HB User

I am not sure I agree with the notion that the soaring high cholesterol levels are the problem rather than symptom. From what I"ve read it sounds to me like your nephew has the disease known as Hypercholesterolemia. These patients are at a higher risk for heart disease, but the actual lowering of the cholesterol has not been proven beneficial in extending the lives of people who do NOT have the disease. But I suppose it could be true that super-high cholesterol levels in these particular cases ARE the main problem rather than the symptom, in which case the drug could have some valuable benefits. I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwtg
I know that everyone has their own opinion but my nephew is 15 and he's been on cholesterol lowering medication since he was young (i'm not sure what age exactly, but grade school) and he has a disorder inherited from his dad in which the choleterol levels soar (my brother has had 2 open heart surgeries and he's only 38) and his son has these issues too. so, just remember that not all doctors/drug companies are out for money only, there are some people who need them and everyone's case is different. Moore-Just really inform yourself about all options. The disorder my brother has is very rare and no one really knows a ton about it but I'm not so sure I'd be so quick to just dismiss any treatment without really doing research and getting more than one second opinion. good luck.

Old 02-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Just an unprofessional thought, I think of an egg. The part of the egg which holds the baby chick is made up of cholesterol. Is there a reason that the baby chick needs all that cholesterol or did our Creator goof? A pregnant mothers cholesterol goes off the charts. My Dr. said nobody knows why. Could a developing baby need the cholesterol like a baby chick? Could developing children nees the cholesterol too? My conclusion being that maybe cholesterol is improtant to develpment of the body and brain.

Closed Thread

« Tuna | Just Say No? »