It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #1

Kathy05 HB User
Extremely high triglycerides?

I'm new here but there seems to be a wealth of information available from you guys...my triglycerides are really high, like 968 on my last test. Before that they were 550. Can someone tell me, relatively speaking, how high that is?

I am beginning to go on a low carb diet and take 10mg Lipitor/day. Can anyone recommend anything else to bring these down?

Thanks,

Kathy

Old 02-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Extremely high triglycerides?

Kathy,

Of course, as you know, both numbers are HORRIBLY high and must come down.
I think 30 days of Lipitor and a low carb diet will absolutely AMAZE you with a drastic triglyceride lowering.
Let's hope that it is enough....I'm pretty sure it will be.

There are other things you can try but let's first see what these 2 Big Guns do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 12:32 PM   #3

wdy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy05
I'm new here but there seems to be a wealth of information available from you guys...my triglycerides are really high, like 968 on my last test. Before that they were 550. Can someone tell me, relatively speaking, how high that is?

I am beginning to go on a low carb diet and take 10mg Lipitor/day. Can anyone recommend anything else to bring these down?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy, just before halloween this year I had some blood work done, OOPS, my tri's were over 500 - that's prior to eating a lot of sweet items before the blood test. Mine are now much more reasonable with the 10 mg. of Lipitor - hang in there, if they don't go down, ask the doc for a INSULIN test, although my fasting blood sugars are within a normal range (86) my insulin was through the roof, come to find out, I'm type II diabetic! All my #'s on lipitor 10 mg. dropped greatly...although I'm still trying to figure things out! Best to you! Deb

Old 02-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

kathy I have hi triglycerides on and off for a long time now some of mine is heredity the drs prefer the triglycerides to be at 180 or less there is a high rishk of stroke and heart attack with the hi triglycerides has your dr put u onm any lipid lowering meds? now last april mine was at 2600 notw in april they are down to 800 i am on zocor 20 mg omega3 1 gram 2x a day and lopid 600mg 2x a day when going low card with the high triglycerides you need to avoid all fried foods eat lots of low fat chicken and turket and leave off the skins stay away from hotdogs bologna or any other processed meats and eggs and cheese are definately out of the picture unless you only eat egg whites all of these are contributing factors in high triglycerided hope this helps you
also stay aaway from chocolates.

Last edited by delrae4753; 02-10-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrae4753
...with the high triglycerides you need to avoid all fried foods eat lots of low fat chicken and turket and leave off the skins stay away from hotdogs bologna or any other processed meats and eggs and cheese are definately out of the picture unless you only eat egg whites all of these are contributing factors in high triglycerides...
I have to disagree with this assessment. Dietary protein and fat (like that found in meat and eggs) has little impact on fasting triglyceride levels - many studies and clinical trials confirm this. It is not the fat in your diet that impacts triglyderides, but the carbohydrates. What has the biggest impact on triglycerides is dietary carbohydrate, in particular the sugars and starchy carbohydrates like those found in bread, cereal, rice, potatoes, and most processed and pre-packaged foods. For most people, cutting way back on the sugars (this includes things like fruit juice as well) and starches will result in a dramatic drop in triglyceride levels. A T-bone steak or chicken leg (with the skin ON) will not negatively affect most peoples triglycerides (I add the qualifier "most" since for virtually every rule, there is an exception).

Alan

Old 02-12-2004, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6
For most people, cutting way back on the sugars (this includes things like fruit juice as well) and starches will result in a dramatic drop in triglyceride levels.
Alan
Just wanted to add something here. A reduction in carb intake will reduce the TG level in most people, but there is also a correlation between body fat level + exercise vs. overall TG level. The lower the body fat composition is and the more exercise, in general, the lower your overall TG readings will be.

I agree with Alan that the fat or protein content of the meals should have little impact here, other than if you are in a situation where you have a calorie excess and are adding weight.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

my dr disagress with that since i eat very little carbs my dr wants me to stay away from eggs unless its egg whites stay away from cheeses processed meats red mets and fats so with that in mind who am i suppose to believe. she simply has me on very low fat low carbs no red meats. incidently i also only drink sugar free beverages and that includes any juice

Last edited by delrae4753; 02-12-2004 at 08:02 PM.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Inactive

bigal123 HB User

My wife has diabetes and high chol. & Trigs Her blood level was 10.5 Chol =300 trigs =over 500 hdl was 44. She takes 500 mg glucophage a day. The Dr put her on lovastatin that did not touch the trigs. So he put her on tricor which dropped the trigs but she was found to have gall stones of cholesterol so all cholesterol meds had to be stopped. I did some research and told the DR we were going to try inositol hexanicinate at 500 mg a day. He said ok. Now my wife is sedinatary not one for exercise which caused obese condition and all the other problems. So after one month of the non flush niacin it went like this
Chol=241 Trigs= 456 HDL=63 Her average blood level for one month was 137.8
Next month increased non flush to 1000 mg a day and readings were
Chol=178 Trigs=380 Hdl=47 with LDL at 55 and blood avg. was 115.8
After two months on 1000 mg it was
Chol=215 Trigs= 466 HDL =40 blood level was 113.0
So today the lab test came back with liver showing ok so we are going to 1500 mg a day and she started exercising. The Dr cannot explain why the HDL dropped because the Niacin raises the HDL. No side effects whatsoever has occurred taking the non flush which is 115 mg of Inositol and 400 mg of Niacin. We are going to go 100 percent Inositol when we run out of what we have. The 500 mg of 100 percent will be even better so you might want to ask your DR to try this BUT you cannot take and statin with the non flush. You are better off without it anyweay as thay lipator does cause weight gain. Niacin does not.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Inactive

bigal123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy05

Thanks,

Kathy
Lipator does not lower trigs. The drug that does is Tricor but that does not touch cholesterol. My wife tried both and although the tricor did lower the trigs she had to stop all drugs because of gall stones that was discovered,. I recommend that anyone taking statins have their gall bladder checked with ultra sound to see if there are gall stones. So with that we switched to the Inositol type niacin and it works better because it lowers both trigs and cholesterol and raised HDL
Big Al

Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 AM   #10
Inactive

bigal123 HB User

I think everyone on this board that is concerned about cholesterol should see some myths that we all have come to believe by going to this Dr's site [url]http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm[/url]
It woke me up and I am a professional researcher
Big Al

Old 02-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #11

bubba8000 HB User

Like many of you, I have high triglicerides also (2200 when left alone in a normal american cultural atmosphere). I also have a cholesterol level of 700. I am hieght / wt. proportionate. So - for the vast majority of you reding this, your 250 is pretty nice and I'll trade with ya. I was referred to an endocronologist who diagnosed my condition as familial.

He said that people like me are unique and forget anything that we see on TV as an Olympian diet and workout will do virtually nothing for the cholesterol, statins are the only choice. He was right. With Zocor (lipitor & others I reacted to) and red yeast rice I have gotten it down to 170-280.

The high triglicerides are the toughest though for me. I have tried low fat, low carb, low meat etc. What works for me on the trigs are virtually no carbs, ample excersize and avoid sugar. I have gotten the trigs as low as 111, but that is only with very strict adherence to diet & excersize.

There seems to be a lot of anxiety here as to the high chol. & trig. #'s that are posted from members. Lets all remember that it was the guy with perfect cholesterol #'s that got ran over by a bus last week and we are still alive.

Hoping this helps some of you.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #12

tacomel HB User
Unhappy Re: Extremely high triglycerides?

i totally agree with arkie 6 about the culprit in the diet being carbs and not fats- of couse there are different qualities of fats too- i still think you should take in moderate saturated fats and no transfats at all.. but all in all i am still confused about many issues concerning cholesterol and sometimes it is overwhelming and i get rather depressed thinking i will have the same fate as my grandparents and my parents... i am trying hard to find ways to overcome my genetics, but the main problem i have is at the doctors office - i get snuffed whenever i speak about the cons of taking statin drugs and their side effects.But back to the diet- look up SYNDROME X on the net, and read as much as possible about how sugar and carbs effect your body- and you will learn about how they cause you to have high insulin levels and high triglycerides.. when you get your blood tested and they say its in normal range- you should also insist on a insulin level- because if your insulin level is too high- you are eating too much sugar!! period! and to BUBBA8000, you are absolutely right about the anxiety! im living in fear and its ruining my life and it has dawned on me that i can fret myself stoopid about clogging up my arteries and get run over by a bus tomorrow so what would have been the point! (although im sure im going to continue to obsess over it)

Last edited by tacomel; 04-10-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Old 04-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #13
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Just for the record Lipitor has been shown to lower triglycerides from 19% (10mg) to 37% (80 mg.)...not miraculous but significant nonetheless.

I think anybody with hypertriglyceremia will find these six slide interesting and informative:
[url]http://www.lipidsonline.org/slides/slide01.cfm?q=fish+oils[/url]

Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #14

jamiedolan HB User

HI, I have had readings on tris around 2000. I took tri cor and it zaped it right back down!. Tricor is a new med that is made to take down tri's/ Ask your doc about it.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

are there any side effects like gas or bloating with this tricor

Last edited by delrae4753; 04-22-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Closed Thread