It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
OTC statin

In today's Wall Street Journal there is an article on statins going on sale in Britain without a Rx. Apparently the first one to go OTC is Zocor, which will sell for $18-27 for a 28-day supply of 10mg. tabs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: OTC statin

Well, I hope it happens here too then. I take Zocor and it can be quite expensive. Thank God for insurance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives
Well, I hope it happens here too then. I take Zocor and it can be quite expensive. Thank God for insurance
Not that it matters , if it goes OTC your insurance isn't going to cover it . I think this is insane . I guess it's a way to keep the doctors offices full . As many of us in these boards know this stuff is "NOT" safe , for some it has negatively altered their lives permanently .

Old 05-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

I'd much rather see Valium go over the counter. That I could use.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User

Keep in mind that Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs accounts for an estimated 7,600 deaths and 76,000 hospitalizations in the United States. NSAIDs include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, ketoprofen, and tiaprofenic acid.

What should we do about the OTC availability of these killers? What number of deaths should define not safe?

Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcovers

What should we do about the OTC availability of these killers?
To begin with, "we" as consumers of these drugs can mind how we use them, informing ourselves and, at minimum, reading and following dosing instructions and contraindications and refraining from exceeding package instructions without a doctor consultation.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias
To begin with, "we" as consumers of these drugs can mind how we use them, informing ourselves and, at minimum, reading and following dosing instructions and contraindications and refraining from exceeding package instructions without a doctor consultation.
Yes, of course. My point was why could we, as consumers, not take the same intelligent approach to OTC statins? If we can manage ourselves with pain medications tha can kill some of us, why can't we manage our decisions about cholesterol lowering pills that also have some side effects?

Old 05-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

"why can't we manage our decisions about cholesterol lowering pills that also have some side effects?"

If you're asking me, I think we can. I think the British are allowing OTC sales as much to save the NHS money as any other reason.

Give it time. It will probably happen in the US as well.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #9

boyscout HB User

There are safer alternatives that i've been taking. its this product called cholest off. it has sterols and stanols and those help lower cholesterol. my levels have dropped significantly. i also eat healthier and exercise regularly. you might want to try this stuff and its an otc product.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout
There are safer alternatives that i've been taking. its this product called cholest off. it has sterols and stanols and those help lower cholesterol. my levels have dropped significantly. i also eat healthier and exercise regularly. you might want to try this stuff and its an otc product.
Is this the stuff you can buy at Kmart for like $8 for a bottle ? Was looking at that while i was in there today . How much did it drop your numbers .

Old 05-26-2004, 05:54 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout
This is a reasonable approach. However, it is very important to keep in mind the ultimate objective. The objective is not really to lower cholesterol, the objective is to reduce morbidity. We make assumptions regarding the reduction in morbidity as it relates to reducing cholesterol.

No matter which side of the statin camp one is on, there is very large volume of double blind, peer reviewed research that demonstrates a reduction in morbidity associated with taking a statin.

I think without a similar body of research on other cholesterol lowering agents, you are going on blind assumption. I am an advocate of natural alternatives, just make sure you understand that what you think you are accomplishing may not be that at all. It isnít about cholesterol numbers it is about deaths and heart attacks. I want to see the data that shows a reduction in these two events in association with taking sterol/stanols.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:12 AM   #12
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Tobias,

Oh how sane the British are. The best we in the USA can look for is allowing one of these money-makers (pravastatin I believe) to go GENERIC in 2006. American Drug Companies GREEDILY guard their profits and thus I won't be surprised if even this generic is subverted in the next two years!
"Ohhh, some people get sore knees with pravastatin!!!" or some such yammering excuse to disallow the generic !

Mexican have the best idea, virtually EVERYTHING is allowed OTC and compete pricewise as a result.

Thanks for posting heads-up.

Last edited by zip2play; 05-26-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Closed Thread