It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #1

CassV HB User
Cholesterol down from 330 to 188 naturally

I know this sounds like an ad and I don't mean it. I am just so excited. For years my cholesterol was 250, 275 and then got up to 335 and even 350. I took Lipitor, Zocor with no results. I tried to lose wieght and could not get it down. My triglyerides were 575. I was scared.

Four months ago I began taking flax seed oil, boyage oil and wild garlic. I've lost about 8 lbs. but big deal there, still trying. I've had it checked twice in the past six weeks because I could not believe the tests said 250. I'm hoping to lower it even more but we do need cholesterol in our bodies so I don';t want to go overboard.

I continue to walk and try to lose weight but I am thrilled that I am no longer fearful about clogging my arteries and the best thing is I am doing it without prescription drugs.
Sorry, they just did not work for me. And Lipitor and Zocor lower the bodys natural production of COQ10 which protects the heart. That really made no sense to me!

Last edited by CassV; 09-05-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran

rahod HB User
Re: I lowered my cholesterol natrually by 100 pts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassV
I know this sounds like an ad and I don't mean it. I am just so excited. For years my cholesterol was 250, 275 and then got up to 335 and even 350. I took Lipitor, Zocor with no results. I tried to lose wieght and could not get it down. My triglyerides were 575. I was scared.

Four months ago I began taking flax seed oil, boyage oil and wild garlic. I've lost about 8 lbs. but big deal there, still trying. I've had it checked twice in the past six weeks because I could not believe the tests said 250. I'm hoping to lower it even more but we do need cholesterol in our bodies so I don';t want to go overboard.

I continue to walk and try to lose weight but I am thrilled that I am no longer fearful about clogging my arteries and the best thing is I am doing it without prescription drugs.
Sorry, they just did not work for me. And Lipitor and Zocor lower the bodys natural production of COQ10 which protects the heart. That really made no sense to me!
Congrats. It's puzzling to me that Lipitor flat out didn't work for you and those 3 supplements did. The effectivity of any of those three on cholesterol levels is marginal at best. BTW, you can easily supplement Q10 with statin medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #3

CassV HB User
Q

You think its amazing, you should see my Dr.s face. All I know is the results dont' lie and yes, it did work. I still take the CoQ10 b/c I am not a young girl anymore. Another reason I feared Lipitor is b/c they kept increasing it (b /c it wasn't doing anything) and talked about liver damage. I said..no thank you
I also feel badly for the people who do not know that these statin drugs affect your COQ10 or even what it is. I didn't until someone gave me the research. My doctor sure didn't mention it.
thanks for reading.

Last edited by CassV; 05-28-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran

rahod HB User
Re: Q

Quote:
You think its amazing, you should see my Dr.s face. All I know is the results dont' lie and yes, it did work. I still take the CoQ10 b/c I am not a young girl anymore. Another reason I feared Lipitor is b/c they kept increasing it (b /c it wasn't doing anything) and talked about liver damage. I said..no thank you
I also feel badly for the people who do not know that these statin drugs affect your COQ10 or even what it is. I didn't until someone gave me the research. My doctor sure didn't mention it.
thanks for reading.
The only thing I can figure out is that the OILS reduced your very high (575) triglycerides substantialy. What were your triglyceride #s this time? If you reduced them by around 400pts (to say 175), then that would account for 80pts of your 100 pt drop in total cholesterol (you take the Triglyceride#/5). I just don't any other way that those supplements could have lowered your TC. They have little if any effect on LDL ("bad") or HDL ("good").

Old 05-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #5

CassV HB User

My tryclerides were 575 and now they are 232.
Other than walking and cutting back on red meat, the only thing I did different was add the supplements. That's all I know; have no reason to say if if it isn't true. Just glad it is.
I suspect the garlic helped a great deal but I could be wrong. I just can't get past my report so that's encouraging to me.

If someone knows, could you explain to me what the difference between triglycerides and cholesterol is because I was given TWO different readings at my examination.

cholesterol 250
triglyerides 232

anyway, you know, folks, I'm not trying to sell anything here, just share my good news.

Last edited by CassV; 05-28-2004 at 02:30 PM.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
My tryclerides were 575 and now they are 232.
Other than walking and cutting back on red meat, the only thing I did different was add the supplements. That's all I know; have no reason to say if if it isn't true. Just glad it is.
I suspect the garlic helped a great deal but I could be wrong. I just can't get past my report so that's encouraging to me.

If someone knows, could you explain to me what the difference between triglycerides and cholesterol is because I was given TWO different readings at my examination.

cholesterol 250
triglyerides 232

anyway, you know, folks, I'm not trying to sell anything here, just share my good news.
It does look like the lowering of Triglycerides accounted for the majority of your drop in Total..around 70pts. Your TOTAL cholesterol is the sum of 1)Your LDL 2)Your HDL and 3) Your Triglycerides/5.

Last edited by rahod; 05-28-2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling eror

Old 05-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #7

CassV HB User

thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #8

phreddy1962 HB User

I am very glad to hear about your wonderful improvement in cholesterol levels!

But with so many variables ( 3 supplements, weight loss, walking, dietary change as far as amount of red meat), any or all of them could be contributing. The supplements may be helping, but then again...

I hope you keep it up!

Bev

Old 05-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #9

CassV HB User

that's true. I did liose eight lbs. over the past 6 months. I'm allergic to seven prescription drugs and so I tend to look for alternative solutions to my problems. Going to the ER with closed air passages and hives is no fun. Thanks for the good wishes. Everyone is different. My husband is 100 lbs. overweight and his choleserol is 135. Can't explain that one.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #10
Inactive

zip2play HB User

rhod,
Usually triglycerides aren't calculated when the numbers go to 400 (or even 300 for some labs). That whole TRIG/5 as representation of the VLDL contribution to total cholesterol is fairly shaky at the lowered numbers but really falls apart as the tri go sky high.

Cassie,
Do you have a complete breakdown of your last lipid profile including HDL, LDL, Triglycerides?

As an aside...I've always wondered what is the effect on cardiac health as one loses weight over a long period of time...I worry about the steady release of one's own bodyfat into the bloodstream en route to the liver and it's dispersal from there. Does anyone know what form that fat flow takes...triglycerides?/LDL???something else?

Old 05-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #11

CassV HB User

well, I return to the doc on June 22 for a recheck. Now, I do know I have a figure of over five hundred for the triglycerides because I wrote it down. I'm sure they did a comlete reading b/c I remember them mentioning HDL and LDL and the nurse said on the phone "your LDL is much improved and you had a high reading."

I don't have the figures here in front of me but I know at one point my LDL was as the dr said "terrible" and far outweighed the HDL so that prompted me to try something.

at this point, I"m trying not to obsess about it and I think I have been. Its lower, I should relax and keep doing what I'm doing.

I am 5'3 and weigh about 198 so I"m not someone you would drop your jaw staring at being terribly obese but I could definitely lose some more weight. What I don't understand is my husband is nearly 300 lbs and his cholesterol is hardly not even there.

But I'm trying not to obsess. I need to get my mind on life!!

Old 05-31-2004, 09:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Zip:

This doesn't exactly answer your question in total, but check out PD Wood et al. in 1988, New England J. of Med., Nov 3 issue, Vol 319(18):1173-9.

They discuss the changes in plasma lipids in overweight men during weight loss, and compare dieting alone to diet plus exercise.

In a nutshell, the weight loss has little bearing on LDL (I didn't see it written in this source, but that appears to be governed moreso by diet).

As with other situations of calorie deficit, the triglycerides drop down, presumably because we are not dumping in excess calories which then circulate as TG attached to VLDL in the bloodstream and eventually get stored away if not used. My way of describing it is that the body has some minimum equilibrium of TG in the plasma for which it maintains during weight loss. The TG level is then supplemented by diet, particularly excess caloric intake, which result in more of the TG moving through your bloodstream in those VLDLs because your muscles don't require as much.

As for HDL, that appears to increase in situations where lipoprotein lipase activity is increased. The exercise helps benefit that because more lipoprotein lipase activity means increased ability to use more fat during exercise (relative to glycogen usage). I haven't seen this put forth quite this way yet, but just as with insulin sensitivity at lower weights, I would think that the ability to pulls fats from the blood and move them into muscle tissue are greater at lower weights, and thus some moderate increase in HDL can result from that alone, based again on the lipoprotein lipase.

Last edited by ubernier; 06-02-2004 at 05:22 AM.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:49 AM   #13

CassV HB User

You have been very helpful! Thank you so much.
I realize there is much I don't understand and am trying to. I tend to get excited when something works and did not want to sound as if I know it all. I just wanted results so bad (smile)

thanks for the helpful reply.

Last edited by CassV; 05-31-2004 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spell

Old 08-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

How much flax seed oil do you take? I'm getting great benefits from eating ground flax seed, a half cup a day, which has about one to one and a half tablespoons of oil in it. I've heard flax will lower your cholestterol. I'm not sure how much. I would bet of the three things you're taking the flax seed oil is helping the most. I'm not familiar with the others. If you buy the seeds yourself and grind them you will save a lot of money. I use a coffee grinder. It grinds them good. You dont' have to grind them to the consistency of powder. I add them to my oats and cook for ten minutes. They're great. They are helping me a lot with allergies, asthma, depression and anxiety. I'm off all meds right now. I'm looking forward to a future without high cholesterol and heart disease. I eat other healthy things and i exercise a lot. This is not a guarantee I'll not have problems, but I feel good about doing what I can to help myself instead of relying on doctors and drugs.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #15
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Cass V, i have high cholesterol too and would like to reduce it without meds if i can. However, all the things you stated i already do. I walk 3 to 6 miles a day, eat no red meat period, no eggs, no fried foods and use garlic (raw 2 cloves) Im losing weight, about 4 pounds a month. My cholesterol was as high as yours, (335) but your trigs are much higher than mine (139) now 175. Are you sure that's all you did to lower your cholesterol. Mine did drop, but that that much, from 335 to 298tc.

Closed Thread