It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #1

pruitt213 HB User
Very Low LDL Numbers

Hello,
My recent blood work results were:

HDL = 43
LDL = 20
Chol/Hdlc Ratio = 1.6
Total Cholesterol = 70
Triglycerides = 34

I am 49, never get enough exercise and eat all the wrong foods. My doctor has no explination for my low numbers. My father also has low numbers. We were wondering if it could be genetic? Has anyone ever heard of such a low LDL number of 20 ?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-06-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Very Low LDL Numbers

Do you feel ok? If you do, and everything else is healthy you might be the golden goose with the great genes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 12:06 AM   #3

pruitt213 HB User

Hello,
Man . . . that was a quick response!!! Thanks for your feedback. I just received an e-mail today from a professor at Stanford University. He does research in the cholesterol field and I had asked him the same question about my low LDL numbers. He told me that he has worked with over 2000 cholesterol readings over the last 5 years and has never seen an LDL under 50. I do not know what to think. I was wondering if I should volunteer for a research project to see if there might be a hidden factor, like a unique enzyme in my kidneys or something that might help develop a future treatment for high cholesterol. Who knows !!!
Thanks again for the quick response,
Mike

Old 06-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Hi, Mike, My name is Mike also. Cholesterol is only high when it is trying to repair something. You body must be in good shape. You need to read what the body uses cholesterol for. Remember there is such a thing as too low cholesterol (artifically) when lowered by statin drugs. If you had high cholesterol and lowered them to your levels...we would not be chatting with you. You would have gone to the next world. There's a distinct possibility that you body is just EXTREMELY efficient. I hope the doctors don't want to only develop something to lower cholesterol. Cholesterol is NOT the problem, Cholesterol is only a problem when it becomes oxidized. Even people with low cholesterol can have as much oxidized cholesterol as people with high cholesterol. People live to an old age in your family? If they do, you have some extremely unique genes. If they really start cloning people your genes would be worth big bucks. mike

Old 06-07-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruitt213
HDL = 43
LDL = 20
Chol/Hdlc Ratio = 1.6
Total Cholesterol = 70
Triglycerides = 34

I am 49, never get enough exercise and eat all the wrong foods. My doctor has no explination for my low numbers. My father also has low numbers. We were wondering if it could be genetic? Has anyone ever heard of such a low LDL number of 20 ?
Mike, I think you are probably just fine. Others have pointed out, and might point out that low cholesterol levels sometimes indicate other afflictions, e.g. cancer. There are some studies that show higher rates of hemorrhagic stroke in those with lower cholesterol. Personally, I would rather keep the cholesterol low.

The lowest I had mine was 96 mg/dL (LDL: 51, HDL: 37, TG: 38). The way I did this was losing weight, exercising and eating low fat.

Just out of curiosity, are you considered normal weight, and do you eat low fat or low carb? Generally a low TG indicates that your body doesn't have much excess TG available that needs to be stored.

As for the HDL of 20, that is your good cholesterol level. Normally, that would put you at high risk for CAD; however, because your LDL is so low, your risk probability is extremely low. The probability of heart disease in those with total C < 150 mg/dL is very low.

You do have the lowest LDL I have heard of, but someone in here did post with an HDL of 13 mg/dL.

Chances are that it is genetic, and if you exercised more, your HDL-C would increase some, and generally, your cholesterol values increase with added sat and trans fats in the diet, or added carbs (increased plasma TG).

Old 06-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

bigdobe HB User

My first inclination would be to repeat the test. Errors can occur. On the other hand, there are multiple, extremely rare syndromes characterized by low cholesterols. Some have related health problems and other individuals are well even in their old age. NIH currently is searching for individuals with uniquely low cholesterol levels. If you do not meet their strict criteria, I suspect they can refer you to a good Center for competent evaluation.
http://patientrecruitment.nhlbi.nih.gov/Cholesterol50.aspx

As an example, one interesting genetic group comes from the Tangier Island (off the coast of Virginia) about which considerable documentation is available. Stay well and please keep up informed of your progress.

Closed Thread