It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

tatum46 HB User
Red face Lipitor And Weight Gain

Hello, I am new on this board and would like to ask something.. my cholesterol is very high, took lipitor last year for about 3 months and my numbers went down 100 points so I stopped. While I was on lipitor I gained weight.. it came to a point where I would only eat 600 calories per day and still gain weight or not lose anything at all. Well since I stopped taking lipitor my cholesterol went up again and I started taking lipitor again.. needless to say 4 pounds in 4 days weight gain is just too much.
I don't have anybody with high cholesterol in my family and I don't really eat a high cholesterol diet, someone suggested the vitamins I take may play a role in my cholesterol.. is that possible?
And also does anyone know of any cholesterol lowering medication that will not cause weight gain???
I am desperate and need help.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Re: Lipitor And Weight Gain

Hi,
I just start taking lipitor a couple of weeks ago, I never had high cholesterol, so I am like you trying to find out what is best for me to use. I do get leg cramps, but I also have fibromyagia,so I have aches and pains all the time, but I do think the lipitor is making it worse. But my counts are so high, I feel like I dont have much of a choice. I wish you well and hope you feel better.
Thanks
cookie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOEB

Hello, I am new on this board and would like to ask something.. my cholesterol is very high, took lipitor last year for about 3 months and my numbers went down 100 points so I stopped. While I was on lipitor I gained weight.. it came to a point where I would only eat 600 calories per day and still gain weight or not lose anything at all. Well since I stopped taking lipitor my cholesterol went up again and I started taking lipitor again.. needless to say 4 pounds in 4 days weight gain is just too much.
I don't have anybody with high cholesterol in my family and I don't really eat a high cholesterol diet, someone suggested the vitamins I take may play a role in my cholesterol.. is that possible?
And also does anyone know of any cholesterol lowering medication that will not cause weight gain???
I am desperate and need help.
Boy, that's really strange...gaining weight (or not losing) on 600 cal a day?? That sounds impossible to me under any circunstances If your cholesterol is very high (produced in large part by your liver not simply the food you eat), then you need to get it lower..probably with a statin. There is no logical reason I can think of for significant weight gain with a statin.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I've run into some VERY fattening medications in my day (two most pronounced were prednisone and ANY beta blocker.)
But I've never had a problem in that regard with Lipitor!

Old 08-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

tatum46 HB User

Hi all, I didn't take my lipitor yesterday and guess what.. I was a pound lighter today.

I know it is ridiculos but this weight gain thing is driving me up a wall. If I skip a couple of days will it be horrible?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM   #6

ZippyDawg HB User

It sounds like you are retaining fluid (edema) which is one of the adverse effects of Lipitor. Weight gain is another adverse effect. Have you discussed this with your Doctor?

Lipitor Side Effects / Atorvastatin

The following adverse events were reported, regardless of causality assessment in patients treated with atorvastatin in clinical trials. The events in italics occurred in >2% of patients and the events in plain type occurred in <2% of patients.

Body as a Whole: Chest pain, face edema, fever, neck rigidity, malaise, photosensitivity reaction, generalized edema.

Digestive System: Nausea, gastroenteritis, liver function tests abnormal, colitis, vomiting, gastritis, dry mouth, rectal hemorrhage, esophagitis. eructation, glossitis, mouth ulceration, anorexia, increased appetite, stomatitis, biliary pain, cheilitis, duodenal ulcer, dysphagia, enteritis, melena, gum hemorrhage, stomach ulcer, tenesmus, ulcerative stomatitis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, cholestatic jaundice.

Respiratory System: Bronchitis, rhinitis, pneumonia, dyspnea, asthma, epistaxis.

Nervous System: Insomnia, dizziness, paresthesia, somnolence, amnesia, abnormal dreams, libido decreased, emotional lability, incoordination, peripheral neuropathy, torticollis, facial paralysis, hyperkinesia, depression, hypesthesis, hypertonia.

Musculoskeletal System: Arthritis, leg cramps, bursitis, tenosynovitis, myasthenia, tendinous contracture, myositis.

Skin and Appendages: Pruritus, contact dermatitis, alopecia, dry skin, sweating, acne, urticaria, eczema, seborrhea, skin ulcer.

Urogenital System: Urinary tract infection, urinary frequency, cystitis, hematuria, impotence, dysuria, kidney calculus, nocturia, epididymitis, fibrocystic breast, vaginal hemorrhage, albuminuria, breast enlargement, metrorrhagia, nephritis, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, urinary urgency, abnormal ejaculation, uterine hemorrhage.

Special Senses: Amblyopia, tinnitus, dry eyes, refraction disorder, eye hemorrhage, deafness, glaucoma, parosmia, taste loss, taste perversion.

Cardiovascular System: Palpitation, vasodilatation, syncope, migraine, postural hypotension, phlebitis, arrhythmia, angina pectoris, hypertension.

Metabolic and Nutrtional Disorders: Peripheral edema, hyperglycemia, creatine phosphokinase increased, gout, weight gain, hypoglycemia.

Hemic and Lymphatic System: Ecchymosis, anemia, lymphadenopathy, thrombocytopenia, petechia.

Post Introduction Reports

Adverse events assocaited with atorvastatin that have been received since market introduction, that are not listed above, and that may have causal relationship to drug include the following: angioneurotic edema and rhabdomyolysis.

Old 08-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #7

FreeSpirit4 HB User

Have you talked to your doctor? You may be able to switch statins and find one that does not make you gain weight. Also, there is a good possibility that higher doses of extended release niacin can help your cholesterol. I suggest you talk to your doctor and see if you could go on a niacin program instead. Good luck!!

Closed Thread