It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #1

shutter00 HB User
Smile red yeast rice results!

Hi,

I have been trying to find a way to lower my numbers for a couple years, since taking paxil added 40 pounds and shot all my numbers through the roof. Well, I have been off the paxil (now lexapro), lost the weight (now back to my normal 190) and have tried a bunch of supplements, but the numbers still weren't great. UNTIL I tried red yeast rice. It's been almost 1 month (I thought it would take a lot longer) but the results have been incredible. Each day, I take 1200 mg ryr, 4800 mg fish oil and 50 mg coq10:

PRE Red Yeast Rice

TC 213 (high of 259)
Trig 215 (high of 580)
HDL 25
LDL 120

After less than 1 month of RYR:

TC 168 !
Trig (not sure - haven't done fasting test yet... after eating and drinking coffee it was 350 )

I also haven't tested HDL or LDL yet - I'm using the bioscanner 2000 between actual lab tests. Anyway, I'm excited about the reduction of total cholesterol. It's never been this low.

I do, however, need to find some way to raise HDL. Mine has always been between 25 and 30 (my father, who is 65 with no heart problems, has also always had HDL around 25 and high triglycerides)

Anyway, has anyone else had this kind of dramatic tc reducation with ryr?

Greg

Old 08-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
Inactive

alptraum HB User
Re: red yeast rice results!

When you do get it tested again, I'd do it with the same lab as before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutter00

PRE Red Yeast Rice

TC 213 (high of 259)
Trig 215 (high of 580)
HDL 25
LDL 120

After less than 1 month of RYR:

TC 168 !
Nice results. Most find some success with Red Yest Rice for the same reasons most find success with lipitor and zocor - all are statins.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #4

shutter00 HB User

Hi PCovers,

Thanks

I did a lot of reading beforehand, and as far as I understand it, there has never been a case of liver problems resulting from the use of Red Yeast Rice, where, it seems, with some of the drugs, there has. It seems that the Red Yeast Rice was the safer choice to try, is a natural part of many Asian diets, and is cheap

It seems the dosage of cholesterol-lowering component in Red Yeast Rice is much lower than in the pharmaceuticals.

Thanks again,

Greg

Old 09-04-2004, 06:11 AM   #5

IrisSavea HB User

Did you take anything else with the red yeast rice?? I'm thinking about giving it a try later this month. I'm currently on lipitor and they keep upping my doage and its making me nervous. I want to try something else that hasn't been shown to distroy my liver. =/ i understand that it has the same stuff as the drugs, but they've never found side effects. Anyway, back to the original question, i was researching and saw some people take other things with it. Just curious if you did too. =)

Old 09-09-2004, 04:44 AM   #6

cokids HB User

I'm curious to know if the side effects of red yeast are the same as the side effects from statins. I was unable to take statins and don't want to play with red yeast if the effects are the same/similar. Or is this natural substance less toxic than statins?

Old 09-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Me too cokids. I am a little scared of RYR. The lable states about the side effects you need to watch for.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
(female)

tatum46 HB User

Hi.. If it is banned where do you find it?

Old 09-16-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I read an article that says artichoke extract from a health food store is just as effective as statins in lowering cholesterol. I just purchased a bottle from gnc. Also the o.j. from minute maid for cholesterol is suppose to help lower cholesterol. I will have a blood work done on Oct. 1, then i'll let you know if it works.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
(female)

LovingLife HB User

Well, I had a reaction to statins within a week of starting them earlier this year. I got terrible muscle and joint aches. I started red yeast rice 5 days ago, so far, so good. I'll post again in a couple of weeks.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:51 AM   #11
Inactive

ty123 HB User
Raising Hdl

Red Yeast Rice, eh? That's a new one on me. What is in it that is supposed to reduce cholesterol?

See my thread on FH for some other neutricutical products.

As for raising HDL, is very difficult. I'm trying to do the same. Mine was at 34 a few weeks ago.

However, I just discovered that I have metabolic syndrome, and I cut out nearly all sugar. Its already reduced my appetite, but just as important there is an association between insulin resistance and HDL repression.

Apart from drastically reducing sugar, I'm taking a glass of red wine each day. Nothing new in that suggestion except that alcohol INCREASES sensitivity to insulin. I'm expecting a pop in HDL from these dual actions.

Alcohol also increases HDL levels, but its efficacy is controversial since it raises HDL3 at least as much as HDL2, the latter of which is the operative type we need. What isn't disputed is the rise in Apolipoprotein A in your HDL which makes it more efficient at removing LDL. Nor is it disputed that light drinking generally improves health for most people. The negative effects of stronger drinking...and I think also the fact that it doesn't get dispensed from a pharmacy inhibit its prescription.

No more than 10 drinks a week is probably best in order to avoid negative effects from the alcolol itself.

exercise and weight loss are supposed to raise HDL, but they've never done so for me. I'm wondering now if I never experienced that rise before because of insulin resistance.

Torcetrapib is a promising new drug that raises HDL, and broad trials for it began in April. When that baby comes out in a few years, there'll be quite a tidal wave of people like me running to get it.

I wish I could think of some other foolproof ways to raise HDL.

mark

Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #12

harjohns HB User

I've been a RYR user for a couple of years now under doctors instructions. Had great success until FDA ban. 6 mos ago I was able to find another source. Trouble is, the price is high. Can anyone tell me where their supply comes from?

Old 10-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjohns
I've been a RYR user for a couple of years now under doctors instructions. Had great success until FDA ban. 6 mos ago I was able to find another source. Trouble is, the price is high. Can anyone tell me where their supply comes from?
It's available at all health food stores on the eastcoast; Walmart even sells it.
Frankie

Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #14
Inactive

heart44 HB User
Re: Raising Hdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty123
Red Yeast Rice, eh? That's a new one on me. What is in it that is supposed to reduce cholesterol?
RYR is a natural statin. Basically, it made by fermenting red yeast (Monascus purpureus) on rice. It has been recently noted that red yeast produces the by-product, mevinolin, while it ferments rice. Mevinolin is structurally and functionally similar to lovastatin.
Due to its distinct similarity to lovastatin, red yeast rice extract was banned in the United States by the FDA in 2001.
But is now available in most health food stores and over the internet.

Frankie

Old 10-08-2004, 05:44 AM   #15
Inactive

ty123 HB User

My recent research indicates that it is now legal because it has been chemically altered from its original composition. It is still supposed to be effective however.

Closed Thread