It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #1
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Crestor and alcohol consumption

Please, could someone here give me a realistic idea of how safe it is to drink once in awhile when using Crestor? I have high cholesterol and have never been a heavy drinker. But now, being on the Crestor, I am terrified of having even one drink, because of the fear of liver interaction/damage.
Tonight was my husband's bi'day and we went out to a nice restaurant and I did not have even one glass of wine because of my fears. Also, at parties, I can't relax and have a drink and feel different from everyone who can. How much is safe to drink, if any? I can certainly live without another drink but I feel isolated in certain situations and I do miss that occasional drink. I am confused...is anyone here on Crestor who still drinks now and then?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Crestor and alcohol consumption

If one is a heavy drinker, that might be a problem using a statin drug because what the statin does is poison your liver just a little so it won't manufacture so much cholesterol and heavy drinking also poisons the liver. The point is, you don't want to poison it too much.

I don't think a glass of wine at a birthday party is a problem and many people who are on statins also have a drink occasionally. None of the patient information I've read has stated flat out "don't drink at all". However, if your doctor has told you not to drink any alcohol at all, then he must have a good reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

jcorn,

I don't think there's a problem. In fact I think it's still a good idea to have 2 drinks a day for cardiac health. Don't overdo it though; I'm sure a HEAVY drinker on statins increases his risk for cirrhosis.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

I have to agree with Zip2play. A couple of drinks should be fine. Although one must exercise caution while using these drugs, that's no reason to get too panicky.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn59483
Please, could someone here give me a realistic idea of how safe it is to drink once in awhile when using Crestor? I have high cholesterol and have never been a heavy drinker. But now, being on the Crestor, I am terrified of having even one drink, because of the fear of liver interaction/damage.
Tonight was my husband's bi'day and we went out to a nice restaurant and I did not have even one glass of wine because of my fears. Also, at parties, I can't relax and have a drink and feel different from everyone who can. How much is safe to drink, if any? I can certainly live without another drink but I feel isolated in certain situations and I do miss that occasional drink. I am confused...is anyone here on Crestor who still drinks now and then?
I use Crestor and drink several glasses of wine every night..no problems at all. I think WHEN you drink is also important. If you finish drinking at least several hrs BEFORE taking Crestor, you should be fine. Because the liver must *deal* with both the statin and alcohol, you don't want to have it do double duty. Although Crestor is active for over 24 hrs, it goes through metabolism (break down) by the liver in the first several hrs after taking the drug. I read that unlike Lipitor, which is COMPLETELY dependent on the liver for it's break down, Crestor is meabolized BOTH by the liver and kidneys....so it's not as *dependent* on the liver for it's breakdown. I ran into trouble with Lipitor many years ago because I was drinking much more AND drank right up to bedtime as well (when I took the drug) .

Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I've taken Zocor for almost 3 years now. I have an occasional drink. Not every day, not even every week. I've not had a negative reaction yet. I did find though that alcholol will sometimes cause an angina attack. This was more so in the months following my bypass surgery. I've not had an angina attack in quite some time now while drinking alcohol.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Thanks all. I feel much better about being able to have that occasional drink. I'm already planning ahead to the yearly Christmas party where eggnog is served. I know, I know, the cream, the eggs, NOT good for the heart ...but hey, this is once a year!

Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn59483
...I'm already planning ahead to the yearly Christmas party where eggnog is served. I know, I know, the cream, the eggs, NOT good for the heart ...but hey, this is once a year!
It's not the cream and eggs you need to be concerned with, but the sugar in that eggnog.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Arkie6,

Why is it that you have less posts now than you had two years ago when I first became a member of this board?

Old 09-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
Arkie6,

Why is it that you have less posts now than you had two years ago when I first became a member of this board?
I did a quick search for my posts and they only went back to 01/01/2003. It appears that the board has purged all of the posts prior to 2003.

Last edited by arkie6; 09-09-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User

AWWW,

I was planning on a nice cold winter day rereading all my old posts...gee, come to think of it, it might have taken 2 or 3 cold days.
All that angsting over whether it was angina or heartburn...maybe it's best they're up in smoke.

Closed Thread