It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Opinions about Clinton's use and stopping statins?

I read that Clinton was on Statins but then went off them when he lost weight. Apparently this was a bad thing and the docs say his arterires closed up more quickly because of it. But I also know he had years of being overweight and eating junk food so how can they say WHAT really contributed to his condition? I also wonder how they could have missed his condition when he supposedly had great medical care while in the White House?
Is it ture that if you take statins, your cholesterol goes even higher than before when you go off them?

Old 09-09-2004, 04:27 AM   #2

cokids HB User
Re: Opinions about Clinton's use and stopping statins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn59483
I read that Clinton was on Statins but then went off them when he lost weight. Apparently this was a bad thing and the docs say his arterires closed up more quickly because of it. But I also know he had years of being overweight and eating junk food so how can they say WHAT really contributed to his condition? I also wonder how they could have missed his condition when he supposedly had great medical care while in the White House?
Is it ture that if you take statins, your cholesterol goes even higher than before when you go off them?
I agree with you! The scare tactic about going off one's meds is perverse! Surely the groundwork had been set years before with all the fast food feasting! Going off his meds were perhaps the last straw?

I hadn't heard that cholesterol goes even higher after discontinuing statins. I hope this one is NOT true, but if it IS, it's another good reason to never start taking them in the first place! There ARE other alternatives that make less $$ for the drug companies and are less perscribed....SHAME!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 04:46 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

jcorn,

I haven't read any references to that rebound situation with the cessation of stopping the drugs. It's not impossible because LOTS of body processes are amped up when any external force is appled to reverse them.

I guess there aren't many peolple who've taken statins for a long time and then stopped! I for one would be afraid to try, but my guess is that I'd just return to my old, miserable levels...but not much worse (I doubt that would be POSSIBLE)

Old 09-09-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran

rahod HB User

The tell tale was the LDL of 177 in 2001 at his physical. That showed a propensity for high cholesterol, even though it (LDL)t was *only* around 120 years earlier. He was put on a statin in 2001, but was taken off when the #s came down..he should have stayed the course. As far as I know, getting OFF a statin will NOT raise the levels further.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Three years ago I was on Lipitor but started having leg pain and stopped it for a few months. I had a routine scheduled blood during that period and I happened to be on a high protein diet. The results of the blood test were actually better without the use of Lipitor. Total cholesterol did increase from about 170 to 190, BUT my HDL went up and LDL went down and triglycerides went way down. My ratio was much better. I brought this to the attention of my MD who said it was impressive but he felt better if I would remain on the statin. While on Lipitor my HDL remained at 25 off the med it went up to 46.
I just read “How to Protect our Heart from Your Doctor”, by H. H. Wayne, MD, FACC. One chapter in the the called “The Cholesterol Deception” describes how the public has been fed misinformation about cholesterol data. I am not going to discuss the book, I just want to note that there is a least one MD who does not think every one should be on a statin. I am sure statins do help some people, but finding the real reasons for CAD should be a priority.
I have tried Lipitor, Crestor, and Pravachol and had severe side effects from all of them. I am not on any statins at this time and there are many people with the same dilemma. If statins are so critical why hasn’t something been done to address the side effect problem.
I believe the Clinton situation has done some good in the sense that many people will get a cardiac checkup. On the other hand, the pharmaceutical companies have jumped on the band wagon to sell their statin meds.
BTW, one TV show described Clinton’s life long diet. I am amazed he made it this far. They said he would have a turkey covered with bacon for flavoring, once cooked he would eat all the bacon. Cheese soup and Mickey D’s, etc., and it goes back to when he was a child. Also a family history of CAD.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #6

molly49 HB User

I've seen other people post on this board with LDL's higher than 177. I have always been led to believe that this number seriousness is contingent upon other factors such as HDL and tryglycerides. If his total was 233, that would suggest he also had a low HDL - perhaps around 40??? That would make the TC/HDL ratio about 5.7 - not good!

Wouldn't this imbalance have been more important that LDL number by itself.

If his HDL had been in the 60's would that have made a difference?

Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly49
I've seen other people post on this board with LDL's higher than 177. I have always been led to believe that this number seriousness is contingent upon other factors such as HDL and tryglycerides. If his total was 233, that would suggest he also had a low HDL - perhaps around 40??? That would make the TC/HDL ratio about 5.7 - not good!

Wouldn't this imbalance have been more important that LDL number by itself.

If his HDL had been in the 60's would that have made a difference?
He did have a low HDL in the low-mid 40s..I read it somewhere.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Lets never forget the stress that man was under too. Unlike many of us, not only was he president, but dealing with being a womanizer. Who knows but him and the Lord if he slept at night. If my family life was as screwed up as that, I'd be stress too.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Clinton did admit to having a craving for a lot of junk food in the past, and that his diet wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. Certainly the considerable stress he was under didn't help matters any. Clinton also had a family history of heart disease on his mother's side, and he himself had gone for stress tests when he was in his thirties. I don't think it would have mattered much if he had continued taking the statin. Most of the damage had already been done, so I think that either way he would have ended up in the same predicament

Old 09-10-2004, 05:47 AM   #10
Inactive

zip2play HB User

The joke was that his morning jog was always only to the first MacDonald's or Burger King he passed. I hope all the Secret Service people who ran with him are getting a regular lipid panel done!
"Sir, you're spilling that shake all over you as you run!"

Old 09-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Just a theory but isn't it possible that the real problem with stopping statins is that arterial inflammation increases causing more possibility of plaque rupture? There has been evidence that has shown that statins decrease inflammation in the arteries which many believe is the true culprit in the cause of heart disease.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #12
Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives
Just a theory but isn't it possible that the real problem with stopping statins is that arterial inflammation increases causing more possibility of plaque rupture? There has been evidence that has shown that statins decrease inflammation in the arteries which many believe is the true culprit in the cause of heart disease.
Very true - probably the only good benefit from statin use, then again a low dose aspirin will do the same without any harm.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:03 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44
Very true - probably the only good benefit from statin use, then again a low dose aspirin will do the same without any harm.
Are you kidding? If aspirin were a new drug developed by Merck, it would be vilified as yet another examle of pharmeceuticals beng in bed with the FDA.

Aspirin side effects include stomach upset and ringing in the ears. Approximately two to three percent of the population, particularly asthmatics, may have serious allergic reactions to aspirin. The cause of Reye's syndrome, a disorder characterized by brain and liver damage in children, is thought to be related to children's use of aspirin in treating a viral infection or a fever of unknown origin. Aspirin is also considered dangerous for people with gout and ulcers, and for pregnant women, as it can cause bleeding. Fourty three people die every day from aspirin related allergies and complications.

And what data do we have that shows that the pharmacokinetics or clinical pharmecology actions are similar between aspirin and statins? While both may reduce inflamation, they may do what they do very differently with very different results.

Acetomenophen and aspirin both reduce pain...they are not interchangeable.

Last edited by pcovers; 09-10-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Yep - you are absolutely right, I spoke without thinking - personally I take ibuprofen. But, then again, statin therapy did not seem to help the Senator's husband.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Music4All HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44
But, then again, statin therapy did not seem to help the Senator's husband.
Record appears to indicate the Senator's husband was not very committed to the statin therapy.

Closed Thread