It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #1

BiBi57 HB User
How long on Crestor?

My last cholestero l check was very high (315) despite a half-way healthy diet. My GP put me on Crestor for two months and I haven't had it checked yet because of lack of insurance,etc. Can I safely assume my cholesterol has gone down? How long should a person be on Crestor before it shows results? I am somewhat scared of this drug because of all the negative information on it. It is so new. Any comments about this drug?

Old 10-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Re: How long on Crestor?

I cannot comment on Crestor based on any personal experience, but it is highly likely that your cholesterol is much lower already. These drugs (statins) act rather quickly, and Crestor is the most potent statin.

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 10-08-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBi57
My last cholestero l check was very high (315) despite a half-way healthy diet. My GP put me on Crestor for two months and I haven't had it checked yet because of lack of insurance,etc. Can I safely assume my cholesterol has gone down? How long should a person be on Crestor before it shows results? I am somewhat scared of this drug because of all the negative information on it. It is so new. Any comments about this drug?
In my opinion this is by FAR the best statin around. It has the greatest efficacy per dosage than any other...and in my opinion has LESS side effects. I have taken Crestor for 5 months and lowered my cholestrol from 250 to 170 with NO SIDE EFFECTS..using only 8 mg ave daily dose (I split the pill every other day). You should DEFINITELY get a blood test for LIVER FUNCTION as well as cholesterol..it's not that expensive and you only need to do it once a year after the first test..which you need to take as soon as possible. I recently went to a full pill every day (10 mg) and added a half dose of Zetia as well. The cholesterol fell another 30 pts to 140!

Old 10-09-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

BiBi,

Yes, you can assume that your cholesterol has fallen DRAMATICALLY in the last two months.
A liver scan is a good idea but I DO appreciate balancing cost and benefit. Make sure, though, that when you go in NEXT to a doctor for anything that you get a blood draw for liver function.

The odds are far in your favor that everything is fine.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #5

EKGnormal HB User

You can get your cholesterol checked very cheaply. Look in the paper.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #6

EKGnormal HB User

You should see about a 50% drop in LDL with Crestor.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive

ty123 HB User

It is really impossible to say what your cholesterol reduction will be on any statin, but Crestor is the most powerful, and it does seem to perform at low doses almost as well as at the highest allowed, which is 40mg.

As the others have said, you should see a good reduction. Then you'll have to decide if that is low enough.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKGnormal
You can get your cholesterol checked very cheaply. Look in the paper.
Could you be a little more specific about this please..?

Thanks,
Fabian.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
(female)

medcase HB User

I was on Crestor for 7 mos. By the 3rd mos. I was having side effects, abnormal muscle weakness and fatigue and a low grade fever.

I've read up on Crestor and statin drugs and I would say read up too. Inform yourself. You could start at Public Citizen Publications, check what the Canadian version of our FDA has put out as a safety alert about Crestor in June 04 and read about dosing at other sites.

I don't know what your dosage is but many articles suggest that even a low dose of 5 mg. significantly reduces chol. levels. Most articles say get on the lowest dose possible and see what results you get. The higher the dose, the greater the side effects, many which can be quite serious.

There are also special groups that should be given half the normal dose. Among those are people of Japanese and Chinese descent.

Good luck. Medcase

Old 01-14-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
(male)

patricia22 HB User

You definitely need to have a liver function test - that is very, very important when starting statins - they usually do it after about 3 months on the drug. The purpose of the test is to make sure that your liver is tolerating the statins. If it's not, you need to know that asap, or you could be in for very serious health problems.

One of the things I worry about with statins being sold over-the-counter, is people assuming they're safe because 'they don't feel any side effects', and not getting the proper tests, or overdosing on them. Statin toxicity is a person-by-person thing. Some have a quick adverse reaction, some never do. Some like me use if for years before having problems.

I'm sure your cholesterol is down significantly - but do some independent reading... Lots of evidence is coming out that high-cholesterol is not necessarily the best predictor of coronary heart disease. There are lots of other markers that may be far more important (CRP, homocysteine, Lp(a)....).

Don't believe everything you hear from your doctor...

Old 01-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #11
(male)

indy_raven HB User

First off, let me say I'm NOT a doctor.... However,

I have to agree with MrBob. When you get your cholesterol test, also have ALT, AST and CPK levels checked as well. I was on the 40mg dosage of Crestor (my cholesterol was thru the roof, and it was right after I had my MI, so they were working on getting it down pretty quick) Anyway, I went on Crestor, they tested me 6 weeks after, and my CPK levels were around 500, which is pretty high. (CPK is an enzime released when muscle is damaged, the higher the number, the more damage) (I've also read where Crestor can cause false CPK elevations, but I also had elevated ALT/AST numbers as well) They halfed my dosage to 20mg, and my CPK is now normal, around 40. I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though I felt fine, the Crestor was hurting me, and I would of never known without the bloodtest. Please, get tested!! Crestor is a very good drug, but it is extremely important to monitor your reaction to it.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #12

ZippyDawg HB User

IMO you would be foolish to take a statin and not have a liver function test at least every six months after starting therapy.

From the Crestor prescribing information.

"It is recommended that liver function tests be performed before and at 12 weeks following both the initiation of therapy and any elevation of dose, and periodically (e.g., semiannually) thereafter. Liver enzyme changes generally occur in the first 3 months of treatment with rosuvastatin. Patients who develop increased transaminase levels should be monitored until the abnormalities have resolved. Should an increase in ALT or AST of
>3 times ULN persist, reduction of dose or withdrawal of rosuvastatin is recommended. "

Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDawg
IMO you would be foolish to take a statin and not have a liver function test at least every six months after starting therapy.
I concur and would go even stronger. Please get that first evaluation after three months, as the Crestor patient information recommends. (Or sooner, if you have symptoms of muscle pain.) Then, if there is no problem and you don't change dosages, every six months should be fine. Though it is unlikely you will have problems, for those who do, the problems can be serious. Very serious. You'd want to catch anything before it got to that point.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #14

ZippyDawg HB User

Yes the "every six months" was after you had the LFT prior to starting therapy and after the first three months of therapy. You want to find out if the statins are damaging your liver before any permanent damage is done.

Closed Thread