It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User
Any difference between the statins?

I am just wondering if there is any real difference between the different statin drugs. My husband took Lipitor for a while, and was taken off it because of muscle aches. Now his doctor has prescribed Vytorin, I know it is Zetia and Zocor combined, and am wondering if he will have the muscle problem all over again, or if it will be OK because it is Zocor instead of Lipitor. Appreciate any input. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran

rahod HB User
Re: Any difference between the statins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner1222
I am just wondering if there is any real difference between the different statin drugs. My husband took Lipitor for a while, and was taken off it because of muscle aches. Now his doctor has prescribed Vytorin, I know it is Zetia and Zocor combined, and am wondering if he will have the muscle problem all over again, or if it will be OK because it is Zocor instead of Lipitor. Appreciate any input. Thank you
I guess you will have to wait and see. Vytorin has 20 mg of a statin (Zocor)..I assume he was taking 10 mg Lipitor? If he was, then he might be better off, since 10 mg Lipitor is a bit more potent than 20 mg Zocor. The thing about Zetia, is that it allows one to take LESS STATIN. If he still has problems with Vytorin, then have him try either 1/2 tab...or have the Dr prescribe only 5 mg Lipitor/Crestor with Zetia taken separately (10 mg). The LESS statin he takes, the more likely his problems will abate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner1222
Now his doctor has prescribed Vytorin, I know it is Zetia and Zocor combined, and am wondering if he will have the muscle problem all over again.
Some do have side effects from ALL statins; others might not. Also, side effects can be more severe when a second statins is tried. CoQ10 can help alleviate muscle pain, as statins deplete this essential nutrient. Take a minimum of 50mg, preferably 100mg at the same time your husband takes the statin. Statins can also cause memory problems, although most doctors today flatly deny that they do. Do your research and keep a good log of your husbands progress.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Nanner,

Side effects for them that get 'em are usually dependent on strength and dosage. At the same effective dose one would need more of the weaker drug.(For example, one needs much less Crestor and Lipitor than the others, so you cannot compare on a mg. for mg. basis.)
The theory behind Vitorin is that you are using the zetia to boost the effect of a lower dose of Zocor so it might treat him better, IF he's able to get the same cholesterol readings as on the Lipitor.
Only trying it will tell for sure (make sure he takes CoQ-10 with it.)

Last edited by Lenin; 11-29-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Nanner,

Side effects for them that get 'em are usually dependent on strength and dosage. At the same effective dose one would need more of the weaker drug.(For example, one needs much less Crestor and Lipitor than the others, so you cannot compare on a mg. for mg. basis.)
The theory behind Vitorin is that you are using the zetia to boost the effect of a lower dose of Zocor so it might treat him better, IF he's able to get the same cholesterol readings as on the Lipitor.
Only trying it will tell for sure (make sure he takes CoQ-10 with it.)
Just because a drug is more effective (*potent* is the wrong word) in lowering cholesterol (Crestor vs all others), doesn't mean that it won't reduce side effects at the same effective dossge. That's why 5 mg Crestor may indeed have LESS side effects than 10 mg Lipitor (20 mg Zocor, etc), even though it's just as effective. Using LESS statin may be the key. Secondly, Zetia does not *BOOST* the effect of a statin..it acts INDEPEDENTLY.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

rahod,

I think most people would call a "more effective" drug, a "more POTENT drug." And adding another ingredient to accomplish more of the same end same ends is usually considered "boosting" the effect in common parlance.
I think you are quibbling with my word choices more than a bit for no conceivable purpose!

I think Crestor is proving that it's QUITE POTENT and is also showing far more side effects at 10 mg than pravastatin or simvastatin would at 10 mg...or 20, or 40! Indeed, side effects seem VERY much more related to EFFECTIVE dose than to mg. dose.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2004 at 06:02 AM.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
rahod,

I think most people would call a "more effective" drug, a "more POTENT drug." And adding another ingredient to accomplish more of the same end same ends is usually considered "boosting" the effect in common parlance.
I think you are quibbling with my word choices more than a bit for no conceivable purpose!

I think Crestor is proving that it's QUITE POTENT and is also showing far more side effects at 10 mg than pravastatin or simvastatin would at 10 mg...or 20, or 40! Indeed, side effects seem VERY much more related to EFFECTIVE dose than to mg. dose.
Show me evidence in PUBLISHED STUDIES that show 10mg Crestor has more side effects than 10 mg simvastatin (Zocor) or 10mg Lipitor. Also.... My point, was that it may be the AMOUNT of statin taken which relates to symptoms and this may not necessarily correlate with the efficacy. A drug like Zocor or Lipitor may not be as good as Crestor (mg for mg) at lowering LDL, but that doesn't equate to LESS negative effects (mg for mg). That is fallacious reasoning at best. I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that I had problems on 10 mg Lipitor (total reduced to 190). I've been on Crestor 10 mg for 7 months (Total reduced to 165..added 5mg Zetia and went to 145) with absolutely NO problems at all.

As far as Zetia..*Boosting* implies an interaction between the two (synergy)...not trying to quibble...just clarifying. Nothing personal

Last edited by rahod; 12-01-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Closed Thread