It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
How much COQ-10 and RYR is enough??

After my 5th day of 1200mg RYR per day, I noticed was getting a little woozy in the mornings. So, I have started taking only 600 MG and no side efftecs.. Is this enough to make a dent in my Cholest?

Also, how much COQ-10 is needed? The NOW FOODS RYR w/COQ10 comes with 30mg per pill. Is this enough? My doctor told me to take COQ-10 100mg x2 per/day. Is this too much..?

[ removed - please do not post commercial websites ]

Thanks,
Fabian.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2004 at 07:39 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 12-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Inactive

heart44 HB User
Re: How much COQ-10 and RYR is enough??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest
After my 5th day of 1200mg RYR per day, I noticed was getting a little woozy in the mornings. So, I have started taking only 600 MG and no side efftecs.. Is this enough to make a dent in my Cholest?
Hi Fabian, First of all you have to understand that RYR is a statin, and has the same side effects..... sore/achey - muscles/joints. When I decided to take RYR, I asked the same question.... how much to take. The health food store owner recommended starting with 600mg and if that lowered my cholesterol, there was no need to take the recommended 1200mg. I lost weight at the same time; had my blood tested after 6 months; LDL of 162 was lowered to 104. I ate all food groups, just less.
More info below,
Frankie
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest
Also, how much COQ-10 is needed? The NOW FOODS RYR w/COQ10 comes with 30mg per pill. Is this enough? My doctor told me to take COQ-10 100mg x2 per/day. Is this too much..?
You doctor is right on with the dosage. For each 600mg of RYR, you should take at least 100mg of CoQ10, and CoQ10 gel [capsules] are preferred over powered CoQ10.

Statins deplete your natural stores of CoQ10, that is the reason to take a supplement. Foods that contain CoQ10: Oily fish such as salmon, spinach and whole grains.

The reason why CoQ10 is important:
What factors might contribute to a deficiency of coenzyme Q?
A wide variety of heart-related problems increase risk of coenzyme Q deficiency. These problems include arrhythmia, angina, heart attack, mitral valve prolapse, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, atherosclerosis, and congestive heart failure. Problems with the gums (gingiva) and stomach ulcers can also signal deficiency of this nutrient.

What medications affect coenzyme Q?
The cholesterol-lowering statin drugs – including lovastatin (Me****r TM), pravastatin, and simvastatin – all lower levels of coenzyme Q in the blood. This reduction of coenzyme Q supplies is ironic since these cholesterol-lowering drugs are given to decrease risk of heart disease.

Source for "reason why CoQ10 is important": World's Heathiest Foods

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think anyone taking a Health Food store variant of a statin drug is making a big mistake. Dosages are quality are COMPLETELY unregulated and the dosages commonly taken are small....USUALLY!

I think that for statin users, about 100 mg.day is about right. More won't hurt but the stuff isn't cheap enough to warrant taking more than you need.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-18-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I think anyone taking a Health Food store variant of a statin drug is making a big mistake. Dosages are quality are COMPLETELY unregulated and the dosages commonly taken are small....USUALLY!
Consumer Labs tests the quality of nutritional supplements to ensure the consumer is getting what they pay for. RYR is the basis for statin drugs, before the drugs companies alter the composition.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

As far as I can see on their website, CL has NEVER tested nor given their seal of approval to any brand of Red Yeast Rice. Red Clover and Red Raspberry, yes, but NOT RYR.
In any case, they don't have the power to order a recall of a defective, useless, or dangerous product.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-18-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
As far as I can see on their website, CL has NEVER tested nor given their seal of approval to any brand of Red Yeast Rice.
CL does have info on RYR, but it's in the subscription portion of the website and I don't subscribe, yet.

Old 12-26-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Enlighten me on the COnsumers Lab: Here's a list of the products that they've tested beginning with "R"...most of them require Subscription to view the results.

Raspberry Leaf
Red Clover
Red Clover Isoflavones
Red Raspberry
Reishi
Resveratrol
Retinol
Riboflavin
Riboflavin-5-Phosphate
Ribose
Rockweed
Rockwrack
Rutin

It seems to me that there was NO testing, subscription or otherwise, of Red Yeast Rice.
Do you perhaps have a bottle with the CL trademark logo? Do they USE a logo (just inspected all my vitamins and supplements...NADA.)
All I could find is a couple GMP-NNFA logos (and with a STONG magnifying glass "GOOD MANUFACTURING PRODUCTS"...LOL, that doesn't inspire me!

I'm almost certain there is NO regulation of any kind for these supplements! As I recall, it's even writ into Federal Law!

It's really a tough call. Part of me wishes for regulation to prevent fraud and dangerous products from entering the market, but then we'd have to deal with the $$Jillions$$ from the pharmaceutical houses determining what we can and can't take. I guess the unregulated "let the buyer beware" is the best of two tough choices.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-26-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Closed Thread