It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

mach8 HB User
Question lipitor or niacin?

Hi everone i'm new here I had my cholesterol checked 3 month ago , it was 259 .just had a re-test,it is 257. dr wants me to start on lipitor , not sure if i want to take any statins. Been checking out niacin , anybody have any feedback on this.
thanks , Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: lipitor or niacin?

Hi and welcome to the boards,

Most of the poeple on this board seem to be on statins. My doctor started talking statins several years ago, but I resisted. Last year I finally decided I needed to start getting serious about my health, but decided to go on an OTC niacin (Enduracin) instead, in spite of my doctor's hesitancy about it. I did it very gradually, starting at 250 mg. for several months, then 500 mg about 6 months, and finally 750 mg., which brought my TC down to 190. My highest TC ever had been 275; the highest just before I started niacin therapy was 247. And my figures for LDL, HDL and trigs have improved, too. My liver enzymes have had negligible changes as a result of taking niacin. (But if you do decide to go with niacin, make sure you have regular liver enzyme tests, just to be sure.) And I like the cost much better than that for statins: I'm spending less than five dollars a month for it.

In all honesty, niacin doesn't deserve all the credit. I'm combining that with very, very careful dietary control. I've all but given up my beloved ice cream. I'm eating very little saturated or trans fats, and eating a lot of oat bran, legumes, and other foods with soluble fiber. In addition, I take phytosterols before eating eggs or shrimp, both of which I love and eat frequently.

You might want to check out my thread where I reported the results:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=232135&page=1&pp=5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, and after I got those last blood test results back, my doctor changed her tune. She then asked for information on where I order my Endur-acin so she can pass the information on to her other clients. Apparently she was impressed!

I simply fail to see why the majority of doctors push statins without even mentioning the possibility of niacin therapy combined with dietary changes. It isn't appropriate for anyone who abuses alcohol, has certain other medical problems, or who has very, very high LDL, but it is certainly a more cost effective method for a lot of people who aren't able to get their cholesterol down with diet and exercise alone. I swear the doctors seem to be married to the pharmacetical companies.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #4
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
I swear the doctors seem to be married to the pharmacetical companies.
Thats so funny!!

And so true.

Eat oatmeal cereal with cinammon every morning, it will lower your cholesterol. A family friend had high cholesterol at 320 and 6 weeks of eating oatmeal/cinammon, his cholesterol went down to 180. Im gonna start that tomorrow.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

blue,

If you can BEAR the flush, give mega-dose (therapeutic) niacin a try. See if your results are good enough after a month. Watch for serious angioedema on the first dose.

It's not an easy drug to take and the same care should be taken with frequent liver function tests as one would do with statin therapy.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-21-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can minimize the flush in several ways:
1. Take an aspirin about 30 minutes before the niacin, especially at first.
2. Start off slow and build up. I've read recommendations to start with as little as 100 mg. of immediate release or 250 mg. sustained release for several days or a week before increasing. This gives your body time to adjust.
3. Take the niacin with meals.
4. If you take more than 250 mg., split the amount to take with two or three meals.
5. Use a sustained release product, rather than immediate release. If you choose to do this, however, be aware that the sustained release is more "potent" in terms of both cholesterol-reduction and toxicity. Have a baseline liver enzyme test and get tests regularly.

I use a sustained release product, Enduracin, 250 mg. 3x daily with meals. I had only minor flushing the first week or so, and have had none since. It has not affected my liver enzymes to date.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 12-21-2004 at 06:36 PM. Reason: additon of item #4.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I got serious angioedema dose after dose.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I got serious angioedema dose after dose.
Oh, no fun! Well, just like a lot of medications, not everyone can take it. Did you use an immediate release product? How high a dose did you start with?

Old 12-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyabout blue
Eat oatmeal cereal with cinammon every morning, it will lower your cholesterol. A family friend had high cholesterol at 320 and 6 weeks of eating oatmeal/cinammon, his cholesterol went down to 180. Im gonna start that tomorrow.
I'm guessing that he probably made more dietary changes than just the oatmeal/cinnamon. Even so, if he was able to effect that large a change with diet, that is a far larger drop than most people get. From everything I've read, for most people diet only accounts for about 20% of the cholesterol in the blood. The rest is manufactured in the liver.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

Okay, thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #11
(male)

mach8 HB User

Hi everybody , thanks for your replies . I have been eating regular oat meal
everyday for three months. But i haven't changed much of my diet except i
cut out all fast foods. i guess i'm gonna have to work a little harder on the diet . Been a junk food junkie all my life now i'm paying for it. my numbers are at this time HDL is 50, LDL is 186, trigs are 129, TC is 257. three months ago it was 259. But i don't really want to take Lipitor, so i guess i'm
gonna try the niacin for now and see if that helps.

Thanks again
Bob

Old 12-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8
. . . But i don't really want to take Lipitor, so i guess i'm
gonna try the niacin for now and see if that helps.

Thanks again
Bob
Please report back and tell us how you do on it.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #13
(male)

mach8 HB User

Thanks everyone for your repies. I think i'm gonna try the oat meal with cinnamon in the morning, no more junk food such as del taco etc,cut out all simple sugars , eat more veggies (the green leafy kind) which i don't do ,cut back on the beef and eat chicken and fish which i rarely do and see what happens.I'll do this first before i resort to taking lipitor which the doc wants me to do.

Thanks , Bob

Old 12-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

I have been eating the oatmeal and cinnamon.. my sister started it 4 weeks ago.. her cholesterol went from 330 to 228.. not bad at all!!

Keep it up Bob.. just avoid food that contain high in saturated fat. And dont eat too much meat either, animal fat is high and can raise your cholesterol level.

Try eating more salads.. if you're gonna eat out, try Subway.. baby spinach salad is an awesome bet.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #15
(male)

vinny1957 HB User
Lightbulb Re: lipitor or niacin?

Hi, I'm on Niacin 500mgs. moving up to 1000mgs. next month. Have looked on the net. and itshows good results in case studies. I was also on Lipitor but was changed to Vytorin. Studies show it works better than Lipitor and doesn't effect the liver as much. Check out their web site www.vytorin.com then ask your Dr. about it.

Closed Thread