It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Question Fatty liver, high cholestrol, low BUN, labs

Had pain in my abdomen in early Dec. CT revealed fatty infiltration of the liver, the blood tests were as follows:
Platelets 497 ref range 140-440
BUN 2 ref range 7 - 17
chloride 111 ref range 98 - 107
CO2 22 ref range 23 - 29
only giving the things that were high or low

Cholesterol 304 ref range 100 - 200
Trig 185 ref range 35 - 135
HDL -C 61 ref range 40 - 60
LDL 206 ref range 0 - 130
VLDL 37 ref range 0 - 40
Chol/HDL 5.0

My Dr. says BUN is NOT an indicator of liver damage but everything I read says a low BUN can be an indicator of liver damage.
Does any of this tie together? I mean the Fatty liver with the high chol? I would appreciate any input Thanks

Old 01-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
(male)

lv2flex HB User
Wink Re: Fatty liver, high cholestrol, low BUN, labs

Hello If i were you, i would exercise regularly to reduce that fatty liver,and if you want your cholestrol levels to drop real fast without any harmful side affects, try policosanol.Its all natural!.I have been on it for two months,and my levels are near perfect now.. Give it a try! http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=663

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Fatty liver, high cholestrol, low BUN, labs

Benzi,

One question, are you very much overweight?
If so, I'm thinking Metabolic Syndrome also called Syndrome-X.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Benzi,

You should go to the liverboard for better info. Let me tell you that a fatty liver can only be truly diagnosed with a liver biopsy so if you only had a ct scan I would not take that as full truth. I also would not risk a liver biopsy unless you are in real trouble. I had this same diagnosis made to me with a CT scan last year and I almost had a heart attack when I was told this. It scared me to death. The liver board has helped immensely and also I went to a speicalist (upper GI man) who was 80 and I trusted his knowledge he told me that the CT scan is not always accurate and that only a liver biopsy could really tell but his advice was to lose weight and get all my liver functions done. I did and got a clean bill of health from him and my enzymes are on the money ever since.

My right URQ (upper right quadran) use to bother me. It did not hurt too bad but I could feel it. I do not get any discomfort there at all anymore. I also drink pure aloe vera juice every day which is good for your liver and digestive tract and many other helath benefits...Good luck, Lisa

Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I weigh 120 lbs and this is the most I have ever weighed in my life I am 5 ft 3 inches tall I have always eaten a low fat diet but also am a sugar addict. Most of my life I have weighed about 105 lbs except when pregnant then I weighed 119 on day I gave birth. I have had thyroid cancer in 1989 and a total thyroidectmy. I have been up and down like a yo yo on my thyroid meds (thanks to PCP who turned out graduated at the bottom of her class) My endrocrinologist seems to think my cancer is back and may have spread, but can not do a whole body scan until last week of Feb. (because of CT with iodine) I am frightened that my cancer has mets to my liver and it is not fatty at all. I did write to the liver boards also but thanks for your suggestions. I just am wondering if my family history of high chol. (mine high since age 21 at least and I am now 46) can be what is causing a fatty liver. I was also exposed and lived with someone who has since died of hep C. By exposed I mean drank after ect... Not sex or anything. In 2000 Mayo clinic did extensive testing on my liver because I was to be my friends living donar and everything tested great.... She died later that year and I did not get the opportunity to help her. I have never been tested for hep c since then and did not mention this to my PCP. Should I? Thanks ffor all your input. PS except BUn and Chloride all my liver tests come out good.

Old 01-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Benzi,

Of course, at a high weight of 120, metabolic syndrome is probably NOT your problem.
But there's something screwy going on with your lipids. Your TC and LDL are way way too high and they are probably tied to fat deposition in your liver.

Ask you doctor to QUANTIFY the fattiness of your liver. After all, it's just another bell-curve distribution and everybody is in the UPPER HALF.

If you've had all the tests to be a donor and came out fine, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

(I had to laugh at your PCP being at the BOTTOM of his class...how did you EVER get that valuable info.)

If you want to try a supplement why not do a Tbsp. of lecithin a day. Some claim that it is an excellent aid at mobilizing liver depot fat. It can't harm you in any way.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Thanks I might try the lecithin, The liver tests that turned out so well were done about 3 or 4 years ago actually let me think a minute it was right before 9-11 so I guess in 2001. Do you know if maybe it could be something else maybe a virus or something? I did have a fever at the time CT was done what I am hoping is that it was just a fluke LOL no not liver fluke. Even though my friend died of liver disease I still had hopes in the back of my mind that I could still donate half of my liver to someone. Or if not as a living donor then later (hopefully much later) as a cadaver so I have been trying so hard to keep my liver in good shape and it devastates me to think that mine may not be good enough now to be donated.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Benzi,
As a cadaver, I hope your liver gets a good home. But don't even THINK of donating half until cadaver time unless it's to someone near and dear to you for whom it's a matter of life and death.
This surgery is still very much cutting edge medicine/science and the risks are HUGE to the donor.

You sound like a good soul!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-13-2005 at 05:51 AM.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I won't go advertising to give half away, I had thought of that but because of all of the research I had done while my friend was so sick I decided that if she died I would save it for a family member and so far no family member needs one bless the lord. It was a great let down for me when my friend died (that sounds and is sort of selfish) I just have not quite gotten over the fact that if only we had started the living donor process earlier she may be alive today. It is a weird thing but when you are so willing to sacrafice a part of you and most likely your health with it, and that person dies then it feels like a slap in the face from somewhere above so I am not sure that I am a good soul but thanks for saying so.

Closed Thread