It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

JRF HB User
Fish Nutrition.

Hi,
I've seen many people suggest a remarkable benefit in reducing Cholesterol/triglycerides by consuming Fish. I am borderline on both.

Consuming Fish (Say 1/4lb (100 grams) per day), Won't that increase Cholesterol/Fat in our body. Because I heard Cholesterol exist just in Animals including Fish.
I like eating Fish such as Tuna, Macerel and Pomfret but little concerned that it should not increase Cholesterol/Fat. I'm sure many of you might've had a word with your Physician and Dietician about fish consumption. Please share your opinions.
Also please let me know good Fish oil tablets thats natural.

Many thanks.
- JRF.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Fish Nutrition.

JRF,

You had me googling "pomfret" because I didn't know the word but I recognized the PICTURE and the alternate name: BUTTERFISH...thanks for expanding my knowledge.

Since the USDA is sketchy on the buttefish content, let me point out a good reason to eat mackerel:
For a 100 gram serving, this fatty fish has
13.9 grams of fat, but the fat is a nice composition consisting of
3.3 grams of SATURATED (primarily 16 carbon chain fat called palmitic acid...coconut oil, if you will that some consider the safest of the saturated lipids),
5.5 grams MONOSATURATED oils (like olive oil.)
3.4 grams POLYUNSATURATED oils including the VERY cardiac helpful
2.5 grams Omega-3 oils making it perhaps the singularly best food in this regard. THat's a LOT of Omega-3's!

The dietary cholesterol of about 70 mg. is not considered to be damaging...that phase of medical thinking has shifted away from this very first approximation attempt to control blood cholesterol.

All things considered, mackerel MIGHT be the best food you can eat!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-23-2005 at 04:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
(male)

JRF HB User

Lenin,
Thanks for the details.
I did stock pomfret already, I will reconsider to use this after some more research. Pomfret is one of my favorite fish.
Mackerel is also my favorite, Im happy about the good stuff with this fish.
thanks.
JRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
JRF,

You had me googling "pomfret" because I didn't know the word but I recognized the PICTURE and the alternate name: BUTTERFISH...thanks for expanding my knowledge.

Since the USDA is sketchy on the buttefish content, let me point out a good reason to eat mackerel:
For a 100 gram serving, this fatty fish has
13.9 grams of fat, but the fat is a nice composition consisting of
3.3 grams of SATURATED (primarily 16 carbon chain fat called palmitic acid...coconut oil, if you will that some consider the safest of the saturated lipids),
5.5 grams MONOSATURATED oils (like olive oil.)
3.4 grams POLYUNSATURATED oils including the VERY cardiac helpful
2.5 grams Omega-3 oils making it perhaps the singularly best food in this regard. THat's a LOT of Omega-3's!

The dietary cholesterol of about 70 mg. is not considered to be damaging...that phase of medical thinking has shifted away from this very first approximation attempt to control blood cholesterol.

All things considered, mackerel MIGHT be the best food you can eat!

Old 01-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Lenin, what about salmon? Isn't it also a good fish to eat. I hate mackrel.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Is our concern just cholesterol? Or is it CVD? Research in the 1970s with Greenland Eskimos following their traditional diet of fish and marine animals showed extremely low rates of CVD. When they reviewed ten years of records at one hospital, they found not a single case of heart attack. True, part of the low rate of CVD might have been genetic. But the belief was that the omega-3 fatty acids in the diet also played a part.

One of the first recommendations my doctor gave after I continued to have fairly high blood cholesterol readings in spite of an improved diet was to take three one-gram capsules of fish oil per day, or flaxseed oil caps if I was bothered too much by the fish burps. Eating fish often would be better than the capsules. I do take fewer capsules during weeks that I eat fish.

Here are a few of the fish/seafoods listed in a chart in the book The Omega Diet by Artemis P. Simopoulos, M.D. and Jo Robinson:

EPA+DHA/100 grams Fish
2.5 Mackerel
1.4 Chinook (king) salmon
1.2 Atlantic salmon
1.3 Regular tuna fish
0.2 Low-fat tuna fish
1.7 Pacific herring
1.6 Lake trout

One hundred grams is slightly less than half a cup.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 01-23-2005 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank you for the info.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Okay, I finally found a more complete chart showing the EPA and DHA content of fish from a source that I'm allowed to link to on this board:

[url]http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/HTML/table_g2_adda2.htm[/url]

Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I with you all the way, jtu; I love almost all fish but I TOO despise the taste of mackeral.

For a quick snack, a small can of sardines (near 100 grams) will give you about 1 gram of Omega-3's also, and NOTHING makes a more convenient lunch (as long as you don't breathe on people afterwards)

Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #9

ZippyDawg HB User

The dietary intake of fat and cholesterol usually has very little effect on serum cholesterols levels for most people. Fats including saturated fats provide essential nutrients that sustain life. The dietary intake of fatty fish or fish oil is beneficial and usually lowers serum cholesterol/lipid levels.

The main issue with eating fish is the pesticides that accumulate in the flesh. Fish oil supplements are generally free of pesticides so that may be a better choice.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF
Hi,
I've seen many people suggest a remarkable benefit in reducing Cholesterol/triglycerides by consuming Fish. I am borderline on both.

Consuming Fish (Say 1/4lb (100 grams) per day), Won't that increase Cholesterol/Fat in our body. Because I heard Cholesterol exist just in Animals including Fish.
I like eating Fish such as Tuna, Macerel and Pomfret but little concerned that it should not increase Cholesterol/Fat. I'm sure many of you might've had a word with your Physician and Dietician about fish consumption. Please share your opinions.

Many thanks.
- JRF.
Tuna, Mackeral and Salmon and sardines are the hishest as far as health benefits but take note that they must be wild and not farm raised because then you are just defeating your whole purpose. Your best bet is to go to Whole Foods and buy them. Most supermarkets have farm raised fish..Lisa

Old 01-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #11

ZippyDawg HB User

I would also stay away from any farm raised fish. The ponds are may be contaminated with pesticide run off and the food they feed the fish with may also be contaminated.

The fish that are farm produced are also lower in EPA and DHA found in wild fish.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #12
(female)

Ward HB User

I went to the page with statistics for fish but unfortunately couldn't figure out which were most beneficial. EPA's and DHA's are good? Bad?

I bought some Sardines in olive oil that I read on this board are beneficial, one serving (92g) cntains 24g of total fat. I also picked up a can of kippers (smoked herring) that I remember from England - much like smoked trout - they are 8g of total fat for a 90g portion. How do I tell the omega-3 content? This is the important ingredient, right?

Old 01-28-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

WARD,
EPA's and DHA's are VERY good...DPA's and ALA's can be partially converted to them so it's also good.
If you go to the USDA Nutrition Site provided by taxpayer dollars
[url]http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/[/url]
you will find superb breakdowns for all foods.

To find the Omega 3's, just total up the n-3 amounts in the Lipids part of the chart. (the 20's are the EPA's, eicosopentaenoic...the 22's are the DHA's , docosahexaneoic) The 5's and 6's refer to the number of double bonds...Probably just recognizing the n-3 notation is good enough!

OY on the names!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-28-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
(female)

SternFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF
Hi,

Many thanks.
- JRF.
Res-Q 1250 is the purest marine oil capsule ever developed. The plant in Norway utilizes a patented proprietary method of concentration which eliminates all the "fish oil," leaving only the maximum amount of pure EPA and DHA. Common fish oil capsules can be found in many stores. We call these "junk capsules," mainly because they have more fish oil than they do the active ingredients which are EPA and DHA. No other marine capsule even approaches the level of EPA and DHA found in Res-Q 1250. This is why Res-Q 1250 works and other fish oil capsules are ineffective by comparison.

Last edited by SternFan; 01-29-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Closed Thread