It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

Carsusie HB User
Side Effects Lipitor and Tricor

My husband recently started taking Tricor in addition to Lipitor. The Tricor replaced Lopid. His symptoms are extreme fatigue, some mental fuzziness and forgetfulness and increased depression. He has had blood tests for just about every disease and all tests are negative. Can the symptoms, particularly fatigue be due to the Tricor added to the Lipitor? I have read alot about muscle aches; he has some but his main problems are as described above. I just joined this website today to try to get some insight and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Carsusie; 03-06-2005 at 02:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Side Effects Lipitor and Tricor

How bad were his numbers for his dr. to put him on both meds., and also what doseage of each is he on? Many folks have problems with being on just one of these meds. alone, let alone both together. If it were me, I would have a SERIOUS talk with his dr. and explain what is going on, as it doesn't sound like the combo. is agreeing with him. Good luck, and also try to read some of the posts here, as others have had problems with these drugs, especially the combo. Keep us posted how it goes....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: Side Effects Lipitor and Tricor

Carsusie,

You have to be very careful when combining Lipitor and Tricor - I know, my doctor put me on Tricor in addition to Lipitor (which I had been on for about 7 years, was on Lopid prior to this for a number of years) - and I ran into serious muscle pain, weakness, and excercise intolerance within about 2 months...

Do some reading on the web... Search for "+Lipitor +Tricor +risk" and you'll see that the chances of muscle & weakness problems increase dramatically with combination therapy - to a much greater extent than you'll ever hear from your doctor or the drug companies. I read a report by one doctor who claimed up to 20% of his patients experienced side-effects from the combo therapy - I'll try to find the link for you. I imagine the same is true for mental impairement (also a side-effect of the above 2 drugs).

I stopped both drugs cold-turkey 1 year ago - and I am about 75% back to normal. I have a lot more strength and endurance than I had back then, and the muscle pain is about 75% reduced from where it was.

To help recover I've been taking daily:

CoQ10 - 200mg
L-Carnitine - 250mg
Omega-3 (from fish oil) - 1000mg/day

Your husband should contact his doctor and complain of the side-effects he's having - I'd wager they're related to the 2 drugs he is taking. Be careful about letting him take them for too long while being symptomatic. It can lead to the situation getting worse - and some people have been off statins and fenofibrates for years with no noticeable improvement in symptoms.

HubbleRules

Closed Thread