It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
(male)

CLcyclones HB User
Lipitor bad side effects

I'm 47 male who has been on Lipitor for past 2 1/2 years with great results. Reading went from 290 down to 135.

About 6 months ago I started to experiece weird feeling in the back of my head like little cramps. My doctor thought it could be my sinus but antibiotics did not help. after two month went for MRI which all result showed no problems.

Searched th internet and found that statin drugs can have neuromuscular side effects. The past two weeks I stopped taking Lipitor and the symptoms are almost all gone, Everyday I feel much improvemnets.

My question is I now do not want to take any Statin and I have heard that taking 3000 to 4000 mg of vitamin C can have the same effect as any statin drug.

has anyone else had these type of side effects from statin drugs?
anyone try the Vitamin C route?

Last edited by CLcyclones; 04-11-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Lipitor bad side effects

Sorry your having problems on Lipitor, especially after having good results, but welcome to the crowd. If U read some of the posts U will see many of us have had problems with statins, others have had very little. I took Lipitor for 5 months, and got very sick, especially intestinal problems. They switched me to Baycol, and things only got worse, not only GI problems, but weakness in the legs, arms, plus overall fatique.

Have no idea about the large dose of C, but it has been a topic here lately. At the moment I and my husband are trying the diet and exercise route, as neither of us seem to tolerate statins very well at all. Don't know if they tried U on anything else, but U also just might not beable to tolerate them. Hopefully your dr. will work with you to find another solution, and I'm sure others here will give U some input on the C. Good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

No, you won't get the same effect from 3 or 4 grams of Vitamin C that you would get from a statin.
I doubt that you'll show any difference at all in LDL, HDL, TC or Triglycerides with megadosages of Vitamin C.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

nana4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLcyclones
I'm 47 male who has been on Lipitor for past 2 1/2 years with great results. Reading went from 290 down to 135.

About 6 months ago I started to experiece weird feeling in the back of my head like little cramps. My doctor thought it could be my sinus but antibiotics did not help. after two month went for MRI which all result showed no problems.

Searched th internet and found that statin drugs can have neuromuscular side effects. The past two weeks I stopped taking Lipitor and the symptoms are almost all gone, Everyday I feel much improvemnets.

My question is I now do not want to take any Statin and I have heard that taking 3000 to 4000 mg of vitamin C can have the same effect as any statin drug.

has anyone else had these type of side effects from statin drugs?
anyone try the Vitamin C route?

Old 04-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
(female)

nana4 HB User

Could you verify where in the back of your head you are experiencing this sensation. I am on a low dosage of lipitor and have been for about 5 years now. I too, in the last few months, have been experiencing an odd feeling in the back lower neck area. It's like a severe grinding ache. Is this what you are feeling? It could also be arthritis, but was interested in hearing more about your discomfort. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jjano HB User

Clc,
You might consider ""Policosonol/Co Q 10"" as a substitute for your statin along with diet modifications and exercise.

Jim

Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Have you tried niacin therapy? Niacin has been used at high doses to lower cholesterol for decades. I successfully lowered my TC from 247 to 190 with just 750 mg. daily of niacin, though I did add some other supplements and dietary changes at the same time. Therapeutic doses of niacin are usually 1000 to 2000 mg. Like statins, though, there is the potential for liver damage in a small proportion of people at those high dosages, so it is important to get liver enzymes checked regularly. In that way, if there is a problem, the individual can stop the niacin before any permanent damage is done.

I take Enduracin, a sustained-release niacin, which has eliminated the flushing one would get from an immediate-release product. There is also a prescription sustain-release niacin on the market, Niaspan - for about ten times the price I'm paying. A prescription product, however, does have the advantage of falling under FDA regulations.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
(male)

CLcyclones HB User

The feeling was back of my head below my ear. It felt like a cramp at first or little zaps is the best i can explain it. All I can say is now that I have gone off of Lipitor the pains have almost disappeared. Everyday get much better. I also did have some minor aches in the same region by my neck but not as severe.

I was tested for blockage and stroke possibilty but nothing was found. I truely belive that Lipitor was the cause of it. If you feel like it is a possible cause go off if it for a week and see if you have the same success as I had.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do to keep my level of cholestoral low but for the past two years I have greatly changed my diet so in three months I'll get checked out again and see what they look like.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
(male)

CLcyclones HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lipitor bad side effects

I also have been taken Co-Q10 about 150mg a day, what dosage of co-q10 have you heard is helpful?

I will also look into the Niacin, thanks so much all for your opinions. Will discuss with my doctor on my next visit.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

When we went to hubby's cardio man the other day, that was what he was complaining about, neck pain. He put himself on Lipitor, as he didn't want done to him what he has to do to other's, but now he is trying no Lipitor to see if that was the culprit. Like he told us, now he is understanding what alot of his patients complain about. Good luck....

Old 04-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
(female)

SternFan HB User

Have you tried fish oil,(res-q 1250) I have been taking fish for over 2 years now and it has helped me. I have noticed the more I take, the more I could get my cholesterol down. But it's very expensive so I had to cut back When I was taking 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening I got my cholesterol down to 150 total but I have cut back to 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I'm waiting to get my cholesterol checked next week.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

CLcyclone and Nana,

I would be careful if I were you - it sounds as if you may be experiencing muscular myopathy induced by a statin. It is a well known side-effect.

It does not necessarily manifest itself early either - there are many cases of people on statins for years before they experienced a single side effect.

Have you discussed the situation with your doctor, and has he suggested stopping the drug temporarily to see if the sensation goes away?

HubbleRules

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Clcyclones and Nana4,
While I was on statins I developed a “stiff neck” and I could feel the muscle spams on both side of my neck. No medical authority could give me a reason for this and my cardiologist insisted it was not the statin. I never associated the statin with my stiff neck, but I did have pain in the legs, buttocks, feet and later spread into my arms and that pain force me to end the statin therapy. I have not taken a statin in about six weeks and most of my problems have dissipated. My neck is slowly, very slowly, starting to improve.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternFan
Have you tried fish oil,(res-q 1250) I have been taking fish for over 2 years now and it has helped me. I have noticed the more I take, the more I could get my cholesterol down. But it's very expensive so I had to cut back When I was taking 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening I got my cholesterol down to 150 total but I have cut back to 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I'm waiting to get my cholesterol checked next week.
SternFan,

I was considering going on Res-Q 1250 also, but it's was a bit too pricy for me until I saw independent evidence that it works. Sounds like it did a great job for you! Maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm currently taking a "Super Omega-3" brand from Puritan. Each tablet contains 300mg EPA and 200mg DHA... I take 2-3 tables a day. Omega-3s also reduce the level of CRP - which tell me it's doing something to reduce the underlying low-level inflammation that is suspected as a key factor in CHD.

By the way, check my post about 'You have to read this'. I just became aware of a potentially helpful supplement called 'Ester-E' - available at Walmarts and Puritan to name a few...

It claims to reduce cholesterol significantly, but far more importantly, may help reduce the inclusion of cholesterol in arterial plaques...

HubbleRules

Old 04-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

HubbleRules,
I have been takng Res-Q 1250 for three months and the results are not too great. However, it may take longer to produce satisfactory results. I don't mind the expense if it works. Anything is better, at any cost, than statins.
BTW, thanks for the tip in ester E.

Closed Thread