It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

morningstar1 HB User
Confused about my cholesterol numbers

I had a fasting test done and I saw my doctor today for the results.

These are my results: Cholesterol : 6.51 mmol (251 mg)
LDL CHolesterol Calculated : 4.56 (176 mg)
HDL Cholesterol: 1.45 (56 mg)
Cholesterol /HDL ratio: 4.5 (174)
Triglycerides: 1.10 (97.4 mg)

My doctor told me they are okay, because although my overall Cholesterol is high, the HDL rates are very good so the complete ratio balances out to my actual Cholesterol being 176.He said I don't have to have them checked agian for another 3 years.

He said my tryglycerides are good too.

Does all this make sense? Or should I be concerned?

Thank you.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Confused about my cholesterol numbers

Your numbers are a little high, but your HDL and Trigs seem good. As long as your dr. isn't worried about it, don't fret about it either. Just be aware U might have a tendency to have high cholesterol in the future, so eat right and exercise now, and I'm sure U will be fine....

Go enjoy yourself for the next 3 yrs.....

Last edited by JJ; 04-11-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

morningstar1 HB User
Smile Re: Confused about my cholesterol numbers

Hi JJ,

I appreciate your reply, Thanks!

Old 04-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem. I'm sure if anyone seen anything U should be concerned about they would jump in and tell ya.

Welcome to the boards, real nice bunch here, and they do their homework, so U will get alot of info. if needed. Best wishes....

Old 04-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar1
I had a fasting test done and I saw my doctor today for the results.

These are my results: Cholesterol : 6.51 mmol (251 mg)
LDL CHolesterol Calculated : 4.56 (176 mg)
HDL Cholesterol: 1.45 (56 mg)
Cholesterol /HDL ratio: 4.5 (174)
Triglycerides: 1.10 (97.4 mg)

My doctor told me they are okay, because although my overall Cholesterol is high, the HDL rates are very good so the complete ratio balances out to my actual Cholesterol being 176.He said I don't have to have them checked agian for another 3 years.

He said my tryglycerides are good too.

Does all this make sense? Or should I be concerned?
Your cholesterol/HDL ration is 4.5. My doctor about freaked out when my ratio got up to 4.0, as that is the highest it has ever been. So I took a look at what the recommendations are for ratio. I found some statements which were a little different, but here is a common recommendation:

MEN
3.8 & below - below average risk
3.9-4.7 average risk
4.8-5.9 moderate risk
6.0 & above - high risk

WOMEN
2.9 & below - below average risk
3.0-3.6 average risk
3.7-4.6 moderate risk
4.7 & above - high risk

I'm assuming that you are probably young and (unlike me) have no other factors which might place you at higher risk, like a family member with cardio-vascular problems. Nonetheless, you might still want to make some lifestyle changes to put you in a better risk category than you are now. It is nothing to worry about, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be improvements.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

Hello Uff-Da,

I'm not young (I wish)!! I'm 45. I think maybe he wasn't worried because my blood pressure is normal 120/60, I don't smoke, don't have a history of heart disease and I'm not overweight, I weigh 114 lbs. And in Janaury I had eye surgery and was given an EKG and it was normal.

I might get a 2nd opinion though because some friends I've spoken to said my cholesterol numbers are high and even though my good Cholesterol HDL is good, they said it doesn't make any difference, but my dcotor said it does. He said HDL helps to clear out the LDL. Our HDL shoudl be 40 and over. Mine is 56.

I'm confused about the whole thing. I'm In Canada, maybe our recommendations are different?

Morningstar

Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Morningstar, your dr. seems to know what he is talking about. Since U have no other risk factors I would leave well enough alone. Like I said before, U know your TC is a bit high, so just try to eat more of the good foods, stay away from alot of starchy stuff or premixed junk, and your numbers might just fall more. Sounds like U live a pretty healthy lifestyle, just keep it up, make sure U exercise, that keeps the HDL up, and U will probably outlive us all......

BTW, to me U are a kid, my oldest son is your age. TTYL...

Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
(female)

morningstar1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Confused about my cholesterol numbers

Hi JJ,

Wow, it's a long time since someone called me a kid, you made my day

You gave me some good tips, and I will start putting them into practice...especially exercising more.

Thanks again,
Morningstar

Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep, just a kid. My age adds another risk factor. Then there is the fact that almost all the deaths in my family (one parent, 3 grandparents, 10 aunts and uncles) were strokes or heart attacks. So that's an additional risk factor. Oh, I was on blood pressure meds at the time I saw my doctor, too. Add one more. Your risks are obviously far lower.

Some doctors still go by just the total cholesterol, but the majority seem to believe the ratio is more important these days. In three years, they'll probably have a different idea.

No, IMO you don't need a second medical opinion on your cholesterol. I think almost any doctor would tell you there is little to worry about at this point. Like JJ said, get plenty of exercise, and eat right. Get plenty of vegetables and fish, keep the trans fats (like hard margarine, commercial baked and packaged foods which contain hydrogenated oils) to a minimum, avoid too much refined carbohydrates and you'll probably get a good report from your doctor for many years to come. Taking care of yourself now is a bit like investing for your retirement.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

morningstar..Uff said it all, and yup, to me your just a kid.

Like Uff said, just keep an eye on eating the good foods, getting exercise and things should be just fine. Have a great day, and CYL...

Old 04-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

Hi JJ and Uff-Da,

I have another question, that perhaps you can help with. What in your opinion is better, butter or margarine. I don't really like margarine and started using butter about 5 years ago, but since hearing all about the dangers of cholesterol I've gone back to margarine. Some say margarine is better, some say butter. Frankly I can't see margarine being good for us, as it isn't a natural product.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frankly morningstar, I use so little of the stuff, I grap either Land O Lakes butter or margarine. For the amount I use, I feel it really makes no difference in my case.

I know they have some new stuff out now that is suppose to be good for cholesterol, think it is called Benicol?? I have never used it, nor know anyone that has, so maybe someone here can help with that question.....

Old 04-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

The hard stick margarines are as bad, if not worse, than butter. The tub margarines or squeeze-bottle margarines are supposed to be better than butter; the soft stick margarines, you really have to read the label. Avoid any that say "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" on the label. I try to use olive oil or canola oil instead of either butter or margarine wherever I can. The net result is that I was down to using less than one stick of margarine a month. At that rate, I decided to go for the taste and get the butter.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

Morningstar,

If the margarine says 'hydrogenated' anywhere in the ingredient list, it is much worse for you than butter. It means that the margarine contains trans-fats, which lower the Good cholesterol, and raise the Bad cholesterol.

Go with the butter - definitely...

When I was growing up, the medical profession was pushing everyone towards margarine and away from butter. For 25 years, my family religiously avoided butter and used margarine... I can't help but think what damage we did to ourselves by following those faulty guidelines.

The guidelines have been reversed in the past 10 years - and now they've done a full 180, and are recommending exactly the opposite of what they did in the 70's... Now margarine is considered bad, and butter good.

I agree with Uff-da!. Olive oil and canola are better than either margarine or butter. Especially the olive oil - it is high in monosaturated fats - which are good for you.

These guidelines fluctuate so radically over the years, it almost makes you nuts.

HubbleRules

Old 04-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

Thanks again all!

And to Hubble Rules: It was the same in my family growing up . We used butter then switched to margarine. My husband likes margarine and we buy the non-hydrogenated kind. I prefer the taste of butter, and I always cook with olive oil.

It's funny isn't it. Growing up my generation never heard of cholesterol. My parents were never ones for eating junk food, but I'm sure we had our fair share of fat in our food. Yet they never had any heart problems. Today everything is supposedly dangerous.

Closed Thread