It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Plant Sterols and Stanols

Does anyone know good food sources for perhaps 3-5 grams/day of these cholesterol blocking foods.
I'm not interested in the Vitamin store supplements or the $5 margerines like Benecol but rather in the REAL food sources. I assume from the name they must come from SOME plants, rather than just chemical vats!!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-07-2005 at 08:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Re: Plant Sterols and Stanols

Well, from what I've read, stanols and sterols are found in relatively small quantities in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, cereals, legumes, and vegetable oils (particularly soybean oil).

They are present in higher quantities in commercially prepared spreads and plant sterol ester dietary supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Maybe it's not worth the trouble.
From the British Heart Foundation:
Quote:
Studies suggest that the consumption of about
2-3g/day of plant sterols/stanols reduce LDL
c h o l e s t e rol levels by between 9%-20% although
there is considerable variation amongst individuals.
No or little effect on high density lipopro t e i n
cholesterol or triglyceride levels has been reported.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Lenin,

Well, I don't know whether it's worth it or not. But I'll tell you one thing. I have found that I must draw the line somewhere with regards to supplements. I'm already taking quite a few supplements, and not all of them are inexpensive. I will continue to take whatever I feel is most essential, but I have recognized that it would be ridiculous and foolhardy of me to jump on any bandwagon that crosses my path. So, for now I think that I will just stick to whatever supplements I feel would be most beneficial.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Oh, I agree 100%.

I think even Bill and Melinda Gates have to draw the line on recommended supplements. If one believed every supplement claim that came down the Pike one would need an INFINITE amount of money.

That's the primary reason I asked about real FOOD sources for plant sterols, but it seems even complete vegetarians can't manage a gram aday.

In my heart of hearts I think the idea might be just the latest fad to sell $5 margerine, alas!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-08-2005 at 04:14 AM.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

JimBBB HB User

Lenin,
Peanuts (in the shell) are regarded as one of the best sources of plant phytosterols. (A quote related to peanuts you can find: "There is overwhelming evidence that indicates that consumption of plant sterols, such as SIT, can lower plasma cholesterol by interfering with cholesterol absorption from the gut."

I am currently on a 'test run' where i have been eating at least one serving (a good handful) of peanuts-in-the-shell every day after determining that seemd to be one factor that gave me really good numbers last year. (and when I slacked off peanuts for mixed nuts my LDL had zoomed up). Other parts of diet are mostly unchanged -- high fruits/vegs -- low red meat, normal/low dairy(no real butter, no eggs), lots of grains, daily fish-oil.

Won't know the results til late June tho -- after annual physical.

But you can always start now an I'll let you know then -- have em with your wine (or beer ).

jim

Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I take the plant sterols as a supplement, but not three times a day, as you often hear recommended. Since my understanding is that it helps prevent absorption of dietary cholesterol only (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), I take it with or before a meal in which I will be eating a fair or large amount of dietary cholesterol - eggs, shrimp, beef. Since I typically eat at least one and sometimes two meals a day vegetarian, I see no point in taking a plant sterol with those meals. This cuts my cost down, as well as what I see as unnecessary pill-popping. I have enough other pills I take anyway. Of course, I really don't know if it is doing me any good, either.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

You guys might find this interestingrresearched at the University of Maastricht)
Quote:
The maximum effect on LDL cholesterol of 9 to 14% was reached when daily intake was between 2 to 2.5 g, while HDL cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations were not affected. We have recently shown that consumption of 2.5 g plant stanols at once during lunch was as effective as consumption of 2.5 g plant stanols divided over the three meals of the day.
I'm finding many links between plant sterols and soy protein foods like tofu and concentrated soy protein...but little on actual QUANTITIES in these foods.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

I've tried many supplements over the past several years (including plant sterols/stanols, Guggul etc.) I'm now trying "Policosanol" (sugar cane) for the past 7 weeks. I've been taking 20 mg after dinner. I'm interested to see my next blood test results. Antioxidant vitamins, C,E selenium, grape seed extract etc. have had no effect on my cholesterol, but I believe they benefit us in other ways (immune system, vision etc..) My only concern is the recent news about "over-oxidizing our system". The ZOCOR/NIACIN study showed cholesterol #'s blunted by the addition of these antioxidants, and less of a plaque decrease in arteries. It makes you think.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Oh, I agree 100%.

I think even Bill and Melinda Gates have to draw the line on recommended supplements. If one believed every supplement claim that came down the Pike one would need an INFINITE amount of money.

That's the primary reason I asked about real FOOD sources for plant sterols, but it seems even complete vegetarians can't manage a gram aday.

In my heart of hearts I think the idea might be just the latest fad to sell $5 margerine, alas!

Well, the difference here is that the FDA has approved a claim that plant stanols and sterols help to reduce cholesterol levels. So, it's not an entirely baseless claim.

Closed Thread