It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User
Lightbulb Plant Stanols and Sterols

I've read a few posts on this board where some claim that plant stanols and sterols *only* affect dietary cholesterol and *not* liver-produced cholesterol. This is *not* true. Whether the cholesterol in your blood is produced by your liver or comes from a dietary source, plant stanols and sterols don't know the difference as they affect blood cholesterol levels regardless of the source. Plant stanols and sterols do not just focus on the cholesterol produced by the liver, but on any cholesterol in your blood.

Therefore, it's safe to conclude, in my opinion, that, even though you are limiting your dierary cholesterol intake, it's still safe to supplement your diet with plant sterols and stanols for the purpose of reducing your blood cholesterol levels.

I've based my opinion on an article by the American Heart Association Science Advisory. It can be located by going to the circ.ahajournals.org website and looking for an article titled "Stanol/Sterol Ester–Containing Foods and Blood Cholesterol Levels" (Circulation. 2001;103:1177.)

So, don't stop taking plant stanols and strerols just because you think it won't help due to your limited cholesterol intake diet - it still helps!

Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User
Lightbulb Re: Plant Stanols and Sterols

I thought I'd explain how I came to this realization:

A two-phase system:

1) Plant sterols and stanols help to reduce LDL cholesterol by competing with cholesterol in the gastrointestinal tract. The body tend to absorb more of the stanols and sterols and, therefore, limit the amount of dietary cholesterol absorbed.

2) Now, that takes care of the dietary cholesterol intake, but what about cholesterol already in your blood? What about the cholesterol produced by your liver? Your liver needs cholesterol in order to produce bile acids. If you have very limited cholesterol intake through diet then you're forcing the liver to produce it on its own. The less cholesterol you eat, the more your liver will produce. If your liver thinks that less cholesterol is being absorbed, it will produce more of it for you. That's the problem. However, taking plant stanols and streols fills this void. Plant stanols and streols are similar enough to cholesterol that the body is "tricked" into thinking it's getting cholesterol and the liver therefore produces less of it itself. This is how plant sterols and stanols can have an effect on your cholesterol levels even if you are consuming a lot less dietary cholesterol - by making the liver "believe" there's enough dietary cholesterol coming in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: Plant Stanols and Sterols

mg_health,

Thanks for the posting - I found it very informative.

Can you tell us what you are taking to increase your intake of plant sterols and stanols? I think I'd like to give it a try.

HubbleRules

Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
mg_health,

Thanks for the posting - I found it very informative.

Can you tell us what you are taking to increase your intake of plant sterols and stanols? I think I'd like to give it a try.

HubbleRules
I just started taking Cholestatin. We'll see how well it works come my next blood test.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Has anyone had a reaction to Benecol, the margarine with plant stanols? I thought it would be a good alternative for my husband who can't take statins, but he started itching. The itchy feeling was on the area of his leg that is still sore. Is that possible or do I need to be on the Paranoia Board?

jane

Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jane,
I tried a little and my only, but prounced, side effect was diarrhea.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I take it in pill form, but have only done so with meals in which I consume a high amount of dietary cholesterol, usually eggs or shrimp. I've had no side effects from it that way, but have never tried it in one of the margarines. I don't eat enough margarine to get much effect that way.

If it is true that plant sterols help even if you aren't consuming dietary cholesterol, maybe I should try taking the pills more often and see what happens. Problem is, I've already made a couple of other changes since my last blood test, and there would be no way to tell what might have caused a change. Too bad it is so expensive to get a blood test all the time.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

All,

Here's some interesting info I found...

Individuals taking statin drugs may benefit from using stanols/sterols as well.

According to one study, if you are on statins and start taking sterol ester margarine as well, your cholesterol will improve to the same extent as if you doubled the statin dose. (Simons L. Additive effect of plant sterol-ester margarine and cerivastatin in lowering low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in primary hypercholesterolemia. Am J Cardiol. 2002;90:737.)

Stanols or sterols also appear to enhance the effects of cholesterol-lowering diets.

HubbleRules

Old 06-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Hubble, here goes again, I tried to post to you last night but seems they were having trouble and posts wouldn't go through. Interesting article you posted and I believe that it works because like I posted elsewhere, my friend used the Minute Maid Heart Wise orange juice and the Smart Balance margarine and she was able to cut her Lipitor dose in half. She buys the "Light" verson of the margarine at only 45 calories per Tbls. I have started using the same products and hope for good results even though I am no longer on a statin. Lenin has a new post about Yoplait Healthy Heart yogurt which has sterols also. Seems that there may be a lot of that coming on the market, will be interesting to see what results we read about.

I also found that I can buy my "Now" brand flush-free niacin in 500mg in a one pill dose which will make it easier to take 2 pills instead of 4. I took your example and am taking it before bedtime and I hope this niacin works because I have no reactions to it at all. The deal I got was 90 pills for a little over $10.00. from a dealer here in Mn.

Hubble I hope your mother is doing okay, you both have been in my prayers. I lost my mom this last May and I miss her terrible. Let us know how she is doing.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

JJ, Gardeninggal, All...

My mom is still in ICU, but she is slowly improving. They took her off the aortic-balloon pump, so her heart is pumping on it's own now. She's still on a breathing tube, and they are intentionally keeping her unconscious so that her heart will be under less stress and can heal faster. They're starting to wean her off most of the meds she's been on the past 3 days...

I'm hoping that tomorrow or Saturday they will wake her..

As soon as she starts complaining, I'll know she's out of danger.

Thanks for your concerns.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 06-16-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well that is good news Hubble....

Now let's hope she starts complaining soon, then U will know she is ready to take the world on again....

Prayers and best wishes are still going out to all of you...

Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

JJ, Arizona, Gardeninggal,

I have good news (finally) about my mom!

She is much improved over the past 48 hours and should be leaving intensive care tomorrow. She is off the aortic balloon pump, has had the breathing tube removed, and is weaned off most of the drugs they've had her on the past 5 days.

She is fully conscious now and even complaining a little!!!!

She is on a liquid diet today, but they will start her on solid food tomorrow. They even got her on her feet and she walked about 20 paces today... The doctor's are amazed at her recovery - we came very close to losing her Tuesday and Wednesday...

She is past the danger point now - and will begin cardiac rehab in a few days... I think in 2 months, she'll be considerably stronger than she was before the bypass surgery...

Thanks for all your concerns and prayers - I'm sure someone up above was listening...

HubbleRules

Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hubble that is GREAT news, and I am sure U and the family are soooo relieved. I'm glad someone UPSTAIRS is listening to us....

Thanx again for letting us know, and I bet it made U have a terrific father's day. Now time to put your feet up and be good to yourself and relax.

Have a wonderful nite, and TTYL.....

Old 06-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Hubble,

I'm glad to hear that your mother is now out of danger and doing much better. Yes, sometimes complaining can be a hopeful sign that things are returning to normal . You want to hear some real complaining? Just wait until she starts eating some of that lousy hospital food ! Then for sure she'll be begging to get out of there and go home. Anyway, I hope that she continues to do well and makes a full recovery.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

Is there a difference between stanols and sterols? Benecol has .85 grams of plant stanol esters. Take Control has 1.7 grams of plant sterol esters. Benecol seems to make my husband itch while Take Control does not.

Closed Thread