It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
does anyone take amaryl and vytorin together?

I posted a previous thread about my dad. His triglycerides are in the 400's and he is taking amaryl for his diabetes, which works well for his sugar levels. But his doctor says he can't put him on meds for his triglycerides unless he takes him off amaryl and puts him on insulin shots. I read something that made me wonder if that was really true. So I am curious if anyone here takes vytorin and amaryl together, and if so, how that worked for you?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: does anyone take amaryl and vytorin together?

Rorie..Maybe someone on the diabetes board can help more then this board, have U tried asking there? Good luck....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: does anyone take amaryl and vytorin together?

Rorie:

From Adventis:
Quote:
Drug Interactions
Although no specific interaction studies were performed, pooled data from clinical trials showed no evidence of clinically significant adverse interactions with uncontrolled concurrent administration of calcium-channel blockers, estrogens, fibrates, NSAIDS,HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, sulfonamides, or thyroid hormone.
No mention was made of the interaction of ezetimibe with Amaryl.

Use of these sufonyureal drugs is showing evidence of increasing heart disease up to 2.5 times the rate for diet/insulin, so care is required (like getting those triglycerides down.)

Unless he NEEDS to take a statin, maybe something like gemfibrozil, a fibrate, that targets triglycerides might be an alternative to the Zetia. It gets 20-50% reduction in tri's.

The statin and the ezetimibe are not without interactive risks taken together...both are hard on the liver.

Closed Thread