It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Niacin and blood glucose...

Been reading up more on Niacin and came across the fact it can possibly raise your blood glucose levels. What's the scoop on that? Good grief, is there anything good, that also isn't bad in other ways? Seems U take one thing for something, and could possibly have to take something else to combat that! Last thing I need is to develop a glucose problem..

I really am ready to toss my hands in the air and say...FORGET IT ALL!.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Niacin and blood glucose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Been reading up more on Niacin and came across the fact it can possibly raise your blood glucose levels. What's the scoop on that? Good grief, is there anything good, that also isn't bad in other ways? Seems U take one thing for something, and could possibly have to take something else to combat that! Last thing I need is to develop a glucose problem..

I really am ready to toss my hands in the air and say...FORGET IT ALL!.........

JJ,

Yes it will. Prior to my Vytorin the doc had me on Niacin. My glucose went from 85 to 100. Granted, that's not bad but he noticed it and I worried about it.

Last edited by Stumper; 05-31-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well every time U turn around they lower the guidelines, so last thing I need is my dr. telling me I'm getting raised glucose. To me that would give them another excuse to shove U on another med. AARGGGG Oh well, just have to have a talk with her, as this experimenting is starting to grate my nerves.

Take care....

Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

JJ, that is one of the reasons that diabetics need to take niacin only under careful doctor supervision. It can raise glucose, but doesn't necessarily do so. You just need to watch it more closely. I'm assuming that if you or your husband are diabetic, you have the testing equipment at home to check your glucose. Just keep an eye on it, like do a fasting test in the morning before you eat anything and you'll be able to tell if anything is happening without going to the doctor.

My late husband was a diabetic, so I had all the testing equipment at home and I check my blood glucose from time to time. I haven't noticed any difference. Still running around 95 in the morning.

Edited to add: It is just like with the possibility of liver enzymes getting out of whack with niacin or with statins. As long as one keeps checking periodically, you can stop it if you happen to be one of those individuals who is greatly affected before anything drastic happens.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 05-31-2005 at 08:35 PM. Reason: addition

Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hubby is type 2 diabetic, so far I haven't had any problems, but once in awhile my BS will be a lil high on a test, then other times it is in the 70's. Every so often they do a A1C, and so far, so good. U know me, I have to be different and have numbers that jump all over the place....

Remember I told U 2 tests ago, back in Feb. they said my Thyroid was all out of wack, then last test it was perfectly normal. My dr. says she never saw anyone who's numbers for everything jump around like a rabbit. Oh well, we will see what happens, I'm not going to get too stressed out over all this, I am WAY too old for more stress...

Hubby never tests at home, he told the dr. whatever she gets is fine by him. I think I like his attitude, he just goes with the flow. LOL

Have a great nite, and TTYL....

Yup, I hear ya about the side effects, just have to play it by ear, and if it doesn't agree with me, oh well, I tried. Thanx again....

Last edited by JJ; 05-31-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

I believe Niacin raised my glucose a little from 94 to 103. I've also read that NIACIN raises homocysteine and uric acid levels. The "B" vitamins (mainly B6, B12 and Folic Acid) are known to lower homocysteine. Being I take a B complex vitamin and Chromium daily. My sugar has dropped to about 90 and my homcysteine and uric acid levels have always been normal. I take about 3,000 mg a day of a prescription niacin called "NIACOR". I've read that Niacin should be taken together with other B vitamins. I found this article on Niacin and diabetics.

"A recent study in the medical journal, Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism shows that niacin, one of the B vitamins, can treat most abnormalities in cholesterol associated with diabetes.

Diabetics not only have high blood levels of sugar, they also often have high blood levels of the bad LDL, triglycerides and Lp(a); and low levels of the good HDL cholesterol. In this study, 80 percent of the patients who took the niacin had a lowering of the small, dense LDL particle that cause heart attacks and a raising of blood levels of the exceptionally good, HDL2 that prevents heart attacks. Niacin also lowers blood levels of the bad clotting factor, Lp(a) and the fatty triglycerides, that cause heart attacks. The most important test to measure diabetic control is called HBA1C, and it improved significantly during treatment with niacin. Twenty-one percent of the patients were unable to tolerate niacin.

Niacin treatment of the atherogenic lipid profile and Lp(A) in diabetes. Diabetes Obesity & Metabolism, 2002, Vol 4, Iss 4, pp 255-261.

Closed Thread