It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

goldenboys HB User
Are Statins Forever?

Just would like opinions as to whether you can get off a statin once your on it. Dr. put me on Zocor when my LDL was 178 while not knowing what my HDL or cholesterol was. I was having HBP at the time so he also put me on meds for that. That was in March and now I am totally off BP meds and doing ok while trying to get the atenolol out of my system. I will have my blood tests before I see him in Aug and wondering if the total picture shows good numbers can I wean off of Zocor? Does it come in 5 mgs and if so can you cut them in half? I always like to go to my dr. with info to fight back with....

Old 06-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User
Re: Are Statins Forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboys
Just would like opinions as to whether you can get off a statin once your on it. Dr. put me on Zocor when my LDL was 178 while not knowing what my HDL or cholesterol was. I was having HBP at the time so he also put me on meds for that. That was in March and now I am totally off BP meds and doing ok while trying to get the atenolol out of my system. I will have my blood tests before I see him in Aug and wondering if the total picture shows good numbers can I wean off of Zocor? Does it come in 5 mgs and if so can you cut them in half? I always like to go to my dr. with info to fight back with....
Goldenboys,

I don't know about you, but in my opinion, a doctor who prescribes a statin based on only an LDL figure is NUTS!!!! Your LDL/HDL ratio is more important than the total cholesterol level... Didn't he look at this ratio?

Once you are on statins, your doctor will almost certainly recommend that you stay on it for the rest of your life. Once you go off the drug, your cholesterol level will return to it's former level.

Have you tried any lifestyle changes (different diet, more exercise, supplements) before going on Zocor? Didn't your doctor recommend this for 3-6 months before deciding on the statin - to see if you could lower the numbers without drugs?

As far as Zocor coming in 5mg doses, I can't say. But you can cut your pill in a half and see how you do on that doseage. I used to do that with my Lipitor.

Regards,

HubbleRules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Any doctor who would put a person on cholesterol-lowering meds with an LDL of 178 but with no other lipid breakdown is going to be hard to convince that you should ever get off the meds. I'm no doctor, but IMHO lifestyle changes should be tried first with an LDL in that range unless the individual already has heart disease or the individual expresses unwillingness to make a serious attempt at lifestyle changes.

With that said, it is going to be hard to know what your lipid figures would likely be without meds but with diet and exercise changes if you have the blood test with meds. But if it were me and the test came back good, I'd inform the doctor that I was going off the med and trying lifestyle changes for six months first. That's assuming you are on a low dose of Zocor; you didn't say.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

goldenboys,

Call your doctor and find out what the rest of your numbers are; TC, HDL, and triglycerides. I don't see how it's possible for him to have just the LDL and not the other numbers. LDL is generally calculated using the following formula:

LDL= TC - HDL - (trigs/5)

So you see, he HAS to have these other numbers too. He just hasn't told you what they were.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboys

Something is a lil strange here. Like the other's said putting U on a statin with just an LDL number is a bit weird. Also, how many high BP readings did he get before putting U on meds. for that, as now U are off?....

Think it is time for U to have a good old fashion heart to heart talk with this dr. and find out just what is going on. Definitely find out what your other numbers are also, as I never heard of being put on statins just for a 178 LDL reading. If this dr. doesn't give U some answers, I would be on the look for a new dr. Good luck....

Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

goldenboys HB User

Thanks everyone for your opinions ... I know it all sounds crazy but true. The only test he gave me was a "direct" LDL (which I understand to be the most accurate test w/o having to calculate) and liver enzymes. On my 1st visit he gave me the HBP meds and then a week later with LDL results gave me zocor. When I told him I would not take it I was told to sign a release stating such. So I took it. I can't change doctors as I belong to an HMO. I decided to go off the BP meds myself. I don't want to quit the zocor till my tests and don't want to take the test till a week before I see him so I can get an accurate picture. I'm on 10mg because the pharm told me it was the lowest dose but looking it up on the internet it comes in 5mg so
I wish now I would have signed the release as I feel so trapped right now.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

goldenboys,

LDL is almost always a CALCULATED number that uses Total Cholesterol, triglyceride and HDL number to arrive at it.
You MUST have had all of them run or else LDL could not be calculated.
Call the doctor and ask him to read off ALL the numbers to you.
An LDL of 178 is VERY high; ideal for healthy people is < 130!

Yes, Zocor DOES come in 5 mg. tabs ...cheaper though to get the larger and they can easily be split. There's no need to wean from Zocor, cold-turkey is completely painless.

Closed Thread