It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
(male)

TanItalian HB User
Question high cholesterol, Stomach problem and heartburn

Im 20, and last year at college I used to eat alot and I gained alot of weight (25-30lbs). My doctor then discovered I had High cholesterol (255) from all the bad food I ate. Along with the bad choleterol came this breathing problem, I have a hard time taking a deep breath, and the upper part of my stomach hurts like I just ate a huge turkey dinner, while trying to breath. It also feels like my chest below my rib cage is being pressed in a vise.

Im trying to loose weight and have lost some, and now that I eat less, i get alot of heartburn all the time. Anyone have an idea? Some said it could be acid reflux? I haven't researched that yet but I will. Im MOSTLY concerned why I cant take a deep breath, can someone help me out?

Im also taking Tricor for the cholesterol

Last edited by TanItalian; 06-20-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Stomach/breathing problem and heartburn

Did your dr. have U try diet changes and exercise before putting U on a cholesterol drug? Your mighty young to be commited to a life long drug.

The pain does sound like Acid Reflux, but it should be checked out to make sure. How long have U been on the Tricor, and did U have these pains before taking it? If this pain keep up, I would definitely ask your dr. what he/she thinks is the cause, and if U get no good answers, have your dr. refer U to a good cardio man, or GI dr to get to the root of your problem.

Also, do U have your other numbers, like LDL, HDL and Trigs. to post, that is as important as just your TC. Is there a family history of heart problems, diabetes and do U suffer from any of these. If U are a smoker, I definitely think it is time to put those down. Hope U get to the root of what is causing all this and get answers and relief. Best of wishes....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
(male)

TanItalian HB User

Yes im suppose to exercise daily but haven't been. I've been taking Tricor for a few months after the pains happened. I dont have my LDL, HDL #'s off hand, and no high cholestol doen't run in the family. I cant see my doctor til july 1st, so this sucks....

Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanItalian
Yes im suppose to exercise daily but haven't been. I've been taking Tricor for a few months after the pains happened. I dont have my LDL, HDL #'s off hand, and no high cholestol doen't run in the family. I cant see my doctor til july 1st, so this sucks....
Is your dr. aware of the breathing problem and did U have it before taking the Tricor? I would think with diet and exercise U could bring your numbers down, especially if U lose weight. Seeing U can't see your dr. till July, if the breathing pain doesn't stop, I would go to an ER and have it checked out. Even if it is Acid Reflux, someone should have U on a med. to help reduce the pain, but the breathing thing is of more concern and should not be pushed aside. Please don't let it go too long without someone giving U an answer as to what is causing it.

The exercising will not only help with the cholesterol, but will naturally help U lose weight, which might get U off Tricor.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
(male)

TanItalian HB User

JJ, my Dr is aware of it, but hes not too worried about it. He called it some "hypertension", but im concerned about it. This breathing thingy started before the Tricor, and Yea i know i need more exercise...

The breathing issue has been with me for the past 5 or 6 months, and I've already been to the ER to have my gaulbladder checked out and my lungs. Everything is normal even my blood flow and whatever else they checked out. I dunno, it still bothers me but i dunno what else to do before i see him.. it has its good and bad days

Last edited by TanItalian; 06-22-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like U might be having anxiety attacks. If U feel extremely nervous and a lil short of breath, that could be it. Some people when they are upset hyperventalate, and the more U do, the worse it will get. Seeing your dr. is aware of it and U have been checked out, try some deep breathing if U feel nervous and anxious. If this is what is going on, only thing the dr. can do is try U on some kind of a relaxing med., but U have to try and calm yourself down. That is another reason to try and get that exercise in, it is a great stress reliever and just might help.

I know it is easier said then done, but as long as your dr. is aware of the situation and U have been checked out, try doing something U like when U get upset or nervous to take your mind off it. Dwelling on any problem only makes it worse, trust me, I've been there. Try and get some rest, and write down anything U wish to discuss with your dr. at the next appt.

Hope U feel better, and best of luck...

Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: high cholesterol, Stomach problem and heartburn

Quote:
Im 20, and last year at college I used to eat alot and I gained alot of weight (25-30lbs). My doctor then discovered I had High cholesterol (255) from all the bad food I ate. Along with the bad choleterol came this breathing problem, I have a hard time taking a deep breath, and the upper part of my stomach hurts like I just ate a huge turkey dinner, while trying to breath. It also feels like my chest below my rib cage is being pressed in a vise.

Im trying to loose weight and have lost some, and now that I eat less, i get alot of heartburn all the time. Anyone have an idea? Some said it could be acid reflux? I haven't researched that yet but I will. Im MOSTLY concerned why I cant take a deep breath, can someone help me out?

Im also taking Tricor for the cholesterol

TanItalian,,

My guess is that you are suffering from a sliding hiatal hernia. This can change when you are in different body positions.

This is when a portion of the stomach enters another area and is due to a tear (hernia) somewhere in the diaphram (I think).
This would explain the heartburn, breathing, and vise feeling.

Perhaps this is why the docs have not seen anything wrong is because it can change during sleep, diferent positions and so forth. Loose some weight would be highly recommended and avoid lifting heavy objects or straining during a bowel movement. This may all help. Also consider eating lighter meals, more of them, and not drinking tons of water before bed.

Just my 2 cents, but have our doctor check for this. I guess it can be corrected through an operation IF it is a hernia.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
(male)

TanItalian HB User

thanks for the advice guys, should I mention sliding hiatal hernia to my doctor?

Last edited by TanItalian; 06-22-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
thanks for the advice guys, should I mention sliding hiatal hernia to my doctor?

Personally?

I would. What can he do but check it?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Best thing to do is write all this stuff down, try and remember when your stomach and breathing problems are. Does it happen when your nervous or after something U eat, or does it get worse when your lying down etc. etc. All these things can help the dr. get a better idea of what is going on, and like Stumper said, he can check it out. Naturally we aren't drs. so can't tell U what it is, but every bit of information U give your dr. will make it one step closer to getting a solution.

Good luck.....

Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

TanItalian,

When you next see your doctor have him check your blood for antibodies to Helicobater pylori (or H. pylori for short.) That's the bug that's responsible for almost all ulcers and shoul be ruled out (or IN). If you have an H. pylori infection it's easily, if expensively, cured (three or 4 pricey antibiotics.)

Last edited by Lenin; 06-23-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #12
(male)

TanItalian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
TanItalian,

When you next see your doctor have him check your blood for antibodies to Helicobater pylori (or H. pylori for short.) That's the bug that's responsible for almost all ulcers and shoul be ruled out (or IN). If you have an H. pylori infection it's easily, if expensively, cured (three or 4 pricey antibiotics.)

there is a blood drive next monday at my local hospital that i do plan on going to, wouldn't show up on that test would it? I know they check for HIV etc...

Old 06-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

No it won't Italian. It's not tested for in any routine blood screen, primarily because there is no blood to blood transmission of the bacteria.
You need for a doctor to specifically ask for the test.

Closed Thread