It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
(male)

buck4life15 HB User
22 year old with high cholesterol

I am a 22 year old college student with high cholesterol. I went to my doctor about a year ago and he told me that my cholesterol was out of hand. It was something like 212........My dad also has high cholesterol and my grandpa has had bypass heart surgery. Needless to say, this runs in the family. I have not done very well in trying to get it down. Being in college, it is hard to eat a completely healthy diet, but I know that I am going to have to start doing so at some point. Without losing all taste in food, what foods would be good to add to my diet? I know that fried foods and trans fats are terrible for me, but what about pasta and things of that nature? Also, what effect can alcohol have on cholesterol?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User
Re: 22 year old with high cholesterol

Sounds like your high cholestrol is genetic. My family has a history hc and no matter what diet I tried or how much I exercised I finally had to go on hc medication. Good Luck but seriously you might have to go on meds in order to control it. The weird thing with me...is that I have low blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
(male)

buck4life15 HB User

I too have low blood pressure buy hc. I am currently taking Zoloft for anxiety and I do not know how a hc med. would mix with that.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Inactive

cathyinto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4life15
I am a 22 year old college student with high cholesterol. I went to my doctor about a year ago and he told me that my cholesterol was out of hand. It was something like 212........My dad also has high cholesterol and my grandpa has had bypass heart surgery. Needless to say, this runs in the family. I have not done very well in trying to get it down. Being in college, it is hard to eat a completely healthy diet, but I know that I am going to have to start doing so at some point. Without losing all taste in food, what foods would be good to add to my diet? I know that fried foods and trans fats are terrible for me, but what about pasta and things of that nature? Also, what effect can alcohol have on cholesterol?
If it's really 212, then it is nowhere near being out of hand.

I dropped my total cholesterol number by eliminating senseless carbs, ie. pasta, pop, my fav chocolate chip cookies, chips, etc.

If the Dr proposes a statin, such as Lipitor or Zocor, then start doing a ton of research first and make sure you understand the true risks of medication. A study of Japanese men showed the longest life span occured with a cholesterol level of 240. Search on Mercola, Weston A Price foundation, THINCS, among others for some great information.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

buck4life15,

Whoa, wait a minute! Do you mean to say that your doctor told you your cholesterol was "out of hand" with a total cholesterol level of only 212? That's absolutely insane! I wish you can tell us what the rest of your numbers are; HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. These are very important numbers to know before you jump to any conclusions. So please, if you can find out what the rest of those numbers are, please post them. That way, we would be in a better position to offer any feedback and advice. But as I said, a single cholesterol reading alone doesn't tell us anything.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Buick I also take zoloft for anxiety...no problem taking hc med with it.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I agree totally with some of the others. A total cholesterol of 212 is not "out of hand." But depending upon the other figures for LDL, HDL and triglycerides, the RATIOS could warrant getting very concerned about.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4life15
Your dr. thinks 212 is out of hand? Sorry, but that is DEFINITELY not out of hand, especially for a 22 yr. old. Don't know what your other numbers are, but if U want to eat healthy now to avoid problems later in life, do a web search for a cholesterol diet. Add more fruits and veggies, fish, and try to lay low on simple carbs and fast food stuff. Pasta is ok once in awhile, especially if it is wheat pasta, but don't make it a habit, as it is a carb. There are good carbs and bad ones, so do a search on that also. Try to lay low on the alcohol also, and when U go for a test, make sure U eat a lite meal, have no alcohol, and U fast for a good 12 hrs. before the test.

Good luck....

Old 07-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

HubbleRules HB User

All,

I can't imagine 20 year old college students with total cholestol of 210 or 220, being on a statin for most of their adult life...

It's a testimony to the brainwashing of America by the pharmaceutical companies. I wonder how many realize that the new, lowered high-cholesterol guidelines were approved by a panel of 10, 9 of whom had financial ties to the pharmaceutical companies producing the cholesterol-lowering drugs. Suddenly overnight, a whole new segment of the population was proclained to have a disease - and would be pressured into a lifetime of very expensive prescription meds to treat it - for life.

I fully expect that 30 or so years from now we will have a population riddled with chronic health problems as the 'hidden' effects of statins begin to show themselves.

I hope someone can counter the insane guideance on high-cholesterol that the medical profession is pumping out today.

HubbleRules

Old 07-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hubble,

Yes, you're right about those 9 panel members having financial ties to big drug companies. How can these new recommendations NOT be biased? Well, that probably explains why experts in other countries, such as in Europe, came to different conclusions than we did. The way medicine is practiced is not controlled by drug companies like it is here in the United States.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules
All,

I can't imagine 20 year old college students with total cholestol of 210 or 220, being on a statin for most of their adult life...

It's a testimony to the brainwashing of America by the pharmaceutical companies. I wonder how many realize that the new, lowered high-cholesterol guidelines were approved by a panel of 10, 9 of whom had financial ties to the pharmaceutical companies producing the cholesterol-lowering drugs. Suddenly overnight, a whole new segment of the population was proclained to have a disease - and would be pressured into a lifetime of very expensive prescription meds to treat it - for life.

I fully expect that 30 or so years from now we will have a population riddled with chronic health problems as the 'hidden' effects of statins begin to show themselves.

I hope someone can counter the insane guideance on high-cholesterol that the medical profession is pumping out today.

HubbleRules
U think that is unreal, get this!! A friend of mine called me today as she took her 10 yr. old for his physical. The dr. wanted him to go on a low dose of cholesterol meds. cause his TC was 215!!!..... Outside of TC of 215 he is a perfectly healthy kid, no problems what so ever. She asked me if I thought the dr. was a nut job or what, and I told her YES, get another one really fast! What is with this crazyness of putting young kids and young adults on lifelong meds.???? I think some of these drs. are sniffing glue or something, cause this makes NO sense to me.

Oh well, off my soapbox, but that really shocked me.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, all I can say is, I'm sure glad I'm not a kid today!!

Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Inactive

cathyinto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
"What we don't yet know is if lowering a child's cholesterol levels changes their risk later in life for developing coronary disease," says DR. Driscoll. "Intuitively, you would think that it would, but those studies haven't been done yet." And a substantial number of children with high cholesterol levels do become adults with desirable cholesterol levels without intervention.
This is NUTS!

Does anybody else see the contradiction in that paragraph?

1/2 of all heart attacks are of people with "normal" cholesterol.

Why, WHY would you give medication to a whole class of humans that haven't even been studied? Remember the FDA approved anti-depressents for children, and what did we get, and increase in suicides.

I think it's time the FDA be turned upside down and rebuilt from the patient protection side up.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-13-2005 at 12:52 AM. Reason: cussing

Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

If you have high cholesterol you are at greater risk of having a heart attack. The 1/2 of all heart attacks are due to people smoking, stress and other heart disease. If you have high cholesterol and you don't take meds,diet and exercise you stand a better chance of having a heart attack...since the reason for taking meds for high cholesterol.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Why, WHY would you give medication to a whole class of humans that haven't even been studied? Remember the FDA approved anti-depressents for children, and what did we get, and increase in suicides.

I think it's time the FDA be turned upside down and rebuilt from the patient protection side up.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you all the way, Cathy. The FDA is in dire need of a major overhaul. And what's with this National Cholesterol Education Program? Who the heck are they anyway, and who's interest do they REALLY have in mind. As far as I'm concerned, they're nothing but another useless bureaucracy that sponges off the American taxpayer!

But I really feel for those kids! They really don't have a say in any of this. They're at the mercy of doctors and parents who actually believe that drugs must be the answer. The drug companies have already doped up an entire generation of kids with Ritalin! Kids can't even be kids anymore. Does your kid seem a bit hyperactive (what's so unusual about that?)? Well, just dope him up with some of that good old Ritalin, and he'll become a nice, peaceful, well behaved little zombie!

Closed Thread