It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

biglarry HB User
Lipitor and elevated ck levels

I began taking lipitor in early May 2005. When I went to my cardiologist in early July 2005, he told me that my cholesterol was 160, and to come back in three months. I asked him to fax the blood results to me internist. That same day, the internist called to tell me the muscle enzyme level was 358. I then called the cardiologist to ask him why he did not inform me of the high enzyme level when I was in his office. He said not to worry because he thinks the high level is from myself exercising two to three times per week (treadmill, stairmaster, bike - no weights). I retook the blood test at the internist, and the muscle enzyme level was 388. I don't feel soreness, or anything like that (no injuries). Should the cardiologist have told me of the elevated enzyme level? Should I continue taking the lipitor - the internist told me to consult with the cardiolosist.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
(male)

biglarry HB User
Re: Lipitor and elevated ck levels

Prior to the start of lipitor the cardiologist told me something about a number of 259 cholesterol, but as I mentioned when I went this month, it went down to 160

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

larry,
He probably should have mentioned it to you, but the big worry about statins is the rare possiblity of rhabdomyolysis and in this condition the CPK is raised to levels of many THOUSANDS. Two quick cases I pulled up on the showed levels of 17,000 and 29,900.
Your doctor is most likely right that your modest elevation is probably caused by a recent hard workout and thus he didn't want to alarm you.
Why not do as many of us do; demand a copy of EVERY blood test (and every OTHER test as well) that is ever done on you and peruse them yourself. There is no substitution for seeing the numbers firsthand and whether or not they are in range. A few minutes on the Internet with judicious searches will meake you expert on any readings that are out of limits (clearly shown on all printouts!)

Since you have taken Liipitor for two months, I think you may have found yourself a good choleterol drug. It usually gives great improvement in the lipid picture!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-14-2005 at 05:08 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

My husband's doctor is concerned about his CPK level (334). You did not mention your dosage. He developed pain on 10mg over eight years and was almost physically floored when it was increased to 20mg. His CPK level was 208, but rose to the current level while off Lipitor. His pain has diminished considerably, but his muscles continue to be inflamed. I do hope you can tolerate Lipitor as it really does decrease cholesterol, but please be aware of any abnormal muscle pain. It was such a gradual thing with my husband that we never suspected Lipitor was the culprit.

Also, thank you, Heart44, for the info on CPK tests. I am going to have my husband tested for damage to his heart as well as muscles.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslk
My husband's doctor is concerned about his CPK level (334).
He developed pain on 10mg over eight years and was almost physically floored when it was increased to 20mg.
His pain has diminished considerably, but his muscles continue to be inflamed.
........please be aware of any abnormal muscle pain.
It was such a gradual thing with my husband that we never suspected Lipitor was the culprit.

Also, thank you, Heart44, for the info on CPK tests. I am going to have my husband tested for damage to his heart as well as muscles.
Hi Janeslk, You are most welcome for the CPK info. It's amazing that the general public does not know this blood test exists.

A muscle biopsy will further define the extent of muscle damage.
Some muscle damage is permanent.

Doctors seem to think that Lipitor 10mg is a low dose. Dr Duane Graveline (former NASA astronaut) experienced TGA (transient global amnesia) on just 5mg of Lipitor. I highly recommend his book: Statin Drug - Side Effects and the Misguided War on Cholesterol.
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_side_effects.html

An even more important risk factor (than cholesterol) is homocysteine.
When you request a CPK test, also request tests for:
* Homocysteine
* Lp(a)
* hs-CRP (high sensitivity - CRP)
These tests disclose "inflammation".
Inflammation is the cause of blood clots and subsequent heart attacks and strokes, not elevated cholesterol.

If your homocysteine is elevated?
Remedy - B6, B12 and folic acid (only side effect is increased energy)
Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) is excellent for all aspects of heart health.

My husband stopped all statins 1 yr ago. He also took statins for 8 years.
Symptoms that finally made us start our research?
Memory loss..... several episodes of TGA.
I truly thought he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's.
Many that suffer memory loss from statins are mis-diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
He was socially withdrawn, his muscles are atrophied, and his shoulder still bothers him. He could hardly move his neck from side to side. That has improved greatly. His memory is not back to normal yet, but at least we know what the heck is going on. I didn't realize all the things we did to compensate for the memory loss. Instinct just kicks in and you improvise.

Prior to statins, he ran 5 miles a day, exercised on a regular basis and was very energetic and outgoing.

And as you stated, all the side effects took a long time to manifest themselves.

Those that have immediate side effects seem to recover quicker. For long term statin users it can take years to recover or damage may be permanent.

I hate to sound so negative, but statins are serious medicine and most doctors just think it's "business as usual".

Hope you find this info useful, and most of all......
Research......... Research......... Research.........
Ask Questions and Stay Informed,

Frankie

Old 07-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Frankie...I read about that Dr Duane Graveline, and his problems. It makes U wonder if some of our pilots etc. take this stuff and have those side effects. Who knows, maybe half of this road rage stuff is caused by people on these meds., as it can cause some people to get major mood swings, and even get violent or suicidal.

I know my husband got very moody and didn't want to do much of anything besides eat, sleep and work. He was a trucker, and a few times he told me he missed an exit, which is very unusual for him, as he seems to know every back road there is. As I said before, I really wish I knew back then what I know now, he would have been off those things in a N.Y. minute.

A friend of mine emailed me about 8 months ago and asked me for some info. on statins, as her hubby was on them and began to be VERY hard to live with. He was always a fun loving guy, easy to get along with, then out of nowhere got moody, distant and sarcastic for nothing. After she read up on them, she told his dr. about how he was getting and said she would prefer he not be on them. Luckily the dr. said ok, and now he is doing pretty good on his numbers with a big change in diet and exercise. Most drs. just don't want to admit that some folks just can't handle them. Like U said, we have to research like crazy, cause noone tells U the down side of alot of drugs.

Have a good one......

Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Frankie...I read about that Dr Duane Graveline, and his problems. It makes U wonder if some of our pilots etc. take this stuff and have those side effects. Who knows, maybe half of this road rage stuff is caused by people on these meds., as it can cause some people to get major mood swings, and even get violent or suicidal.
Hi JJ, Taking a serious look at statins is a complete mindset change. People in general have total faith in their doctors. Doctors are misled by the drug companies. The Drug companies are very powerful. More and more info is surfacing about statin side effects. More reputable people in the medical field are raising questions that have not been asked in a long time. This whole cholesterol business started with a study by Ansel Keyes. And the rest is history. We need a new chapter, soon.

Frankie

Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart44
Hi JJ, Taking a serious look at statins is a complete mindset change. People in general have total faith in their doctors. Doctors are misled by the drug companies. The Drug companies are very powerful. More and more info is surfacing about statin side effects. More reputable people in the medical field are raising questions that have not been asked in a long time. This whole cholesterol business started with a study by Ansel Keyes. And the rest is history. We need a new chapter, soon.

Frankie
I think alot of people in the medical field are starting to listen to their patients, not all, but some. I know hubby's cardio man doesn't bother him at all about taking anything, as like he said, he believes in the QUALITY of live as well as the quantity. They definitely need to do alot more research on these things, as almost as soon as a new and stronger one comes out, it is pulled. A friend of mine has been taking Lipitor for years, sometimes up to 80 mgs., and had very lil side effects. Her dr. switched her to Crestor a few months back and she couldn't handle that at all. Like they say, what might be ok for you, isn't ok for me.

Not only statins, but I think drs. are prescribing meds. for way too many things that could be taken care of without drugs, and these new guidelines for everything keep getting lower and lower. Obviously most folks can't meet the guidelines without meds., so this causes tons more folks to take meds., and that makes huge $$$ for the drug companies. Medicine is needed for certain things and can be very helpful, but, all avenues should be tried before pumping folks with drugs, especially kids. I was shocked to even hear a dr. would think of putting a 10 yr. old on a statin, that blew my mind.

Oh well, let's see what the future holds for all of us, but in the meantime, I am doing my homework. Have a good one, and CYL...

Old 07-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
(male)

allen_dave HB User

Hi, I just popped in looking for info on ck-total levels. I just had the blood test done this week, and have never had it done before. I don't know if my doctor checked the wrong box on the blood test order, or decided it was a good idea. My ck-total was 169, and the lab that did my tests shows "normal" from 55-170. Being so close to the high end, I decided to check it out.

I have had chronic abdominal pain for over 15 years. It's a "burning" pain just below the rib cage. I've had just about every test in the book done (that I am aware of) and nothing has showed up as the cause. It feels more like muscle pain to me, but it's very difficult to explain. I've had all my intestinal stuff checked, including egd, colonoscopy, upper GI, several CT scans, and a relatively new procedure, capsule endoscopy. Also, my RBC has been low since the pain started, but not terribly low and it fluctuates a lot (but almost always on the low side). WBC is also usually low. No signs of internal bleeding, and bone marrow biopsy was negative. I know there are several muscle disorders, but finding them is a difficult task. Even here I only see Fibromyalgia and Muscular Dystrophy. I don't think I have either one. Any suggestions on my condition would be greatly appreciated.

As for statins, I started taking Crestor over a year ago. I didn't like how I felt after taking Crestor, and my doctor switched to Lipitor (10 mg). Since most statins are recommended to be taken at night before bed, it's hard to say what your body is going through while you sleep. Probably why they want you to take them at night! Anyway, I have just quit taking the Lipitor in an effort to see if I feel better or not.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Under the left side ribecage edge: possible pancreatitis; right side: gall-bladder; central or either-side: ulcer!
I'd have a test done for antibodies to H.pylorii if you have not already to rule out small ulceration.

Usually night-time dosing is not as necessary as once thought. It was originally recommended because most of the manufacture of LDL in the liver occurs while we sleep. The goal of statin therapy is to interrupt this process resulting in less manufactured LDL-cholesterol. Studies with Lipitor show that it gives close to the same results no matter WHEN the dosage, but the "night-time dosing" seems a mantra most doctors have stuck with. Maybe there are some very short lived statins for which it still pertains; don't know.
I take mine at night from habit.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-17-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
(male)

allen_dave HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Under the left side ribecage edge: possible pancreatitis; right side: gall-bladder; central or either-side: ulcer! I'd have a test done for antibodies to H.pylorii if you have not already to rule out small ulceration.
Thanks! Pain (burning pain) is under my rib cage, just about all the way across, possibly a little more on the right side. Last year I had gal-bladder removed after Heida scan showed it at 8%. That helped with the bloated feeling I was having. However, abdominal pain still remains. Also, I have an EGD done every two years and no sign of an ulcer for the past 10 years. I believe an EGD will also show pancreatitis (???). If not, please let me know. Not sure about H.pylorii. Don't think I've ever had a test for that. Would this test indicate a small ulceration inside the stomach that an EGD might miss?

Closed Thread