It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

yock HB User
liver cleanse for high cholesterol

Has anyone ever done a liver cleanse for the purpose of lowering cholesterol. I have read that doing a liver cleanse can drop your total cholesterol by as much as 50 points? Has anyone heard of this, or is it totally false? If this is true, how long will the cleanse keep the cholesterol lower? 6 months? Any replies would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: liver cleanse for high cholesterol

I had blood tests on 12/08/04 which indicated a slightly elevated AST. Cholesterol was 222. Went on liver cleanse to reduce AST. Was retested on 04/29/05. AST returned to normal levels. Cholesterol dropped from 222 to 208. Since AST returned to normal I went off the liver cleanse. Maybe I should have stayed on it. It dropped 14 points in 5 months. I may go back on it but not only because Cholesterol could drop further but it's a healthy thing to do. What type of liver cleanse are you thinking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yock,

I DO the liver flush irregularly and have recovered dozens (up to a hundred) waxy green bile stones at a time, which I assume is mostly cholesterol.
I have never though to correlate it to any drop in serum cholesterol. Maybe I should?

It is tough to do unless you have your own cholesterol testing equipment because even GENEROUS insurance companies will balk at too many cholesterol tests in the course of a year and a liver flush isn't something you want to do too frequently becasue it's a somewhat tedious practice (though with a good reward if you have a tendency to gall bladder cholic!)

Old 07-26-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

yock HB User

My total cholesterol was consistently around 250 (LDL-176 HDL 52 TRI-108) tested September '04. I started taking flax seed oil last September and gave up smoking 6 months before that (March '04). When I was tested again in March '05 my total was 224 (LDL 145 HDL 50 TRI 143). My Tri's have always been around 100 so I don't know what happened that day. THe fact my LDLs came down 31 points in 6 months was astounding. I contribute it to two things - quitting smoking, and taking flax seed oil. I read about doing a liver cleanse to also lower cholesterol, so I did one about 2 months ago. I'm not sure whose program I followed, but it went something like this. I drank apple juice (about a quart) in the morning, had a salad with light dressing at lunch, drank grapefruit juice (again a quart) in the afternoon. Had a cup of epsom salt with lemon water at 6pm and again at 8pm. I didn't eat at all after the salad at lunch. At 10pm I drank two cups of grapefruit juice and olive oil blended (yuck it was awful). I immediately got sick to my stomach, but hurried up and went to bed to calm the tummy down. It worked. Got up in the morning and drank another epsom salt. I started passing so many stones I was amazed (atleast a hundred). They were bright green (cholesterol). I am scheduled to have another blood test the end of August. I'm considering doing another liver cleanse the week before the blood test. I have just wondered if anyone has any proof that doing a liver cleanse actually will lower cholesterol. My numbers are not that far from being considered "good". My dr. wants to put me on cholesterol medicine, but I am trying to avoid that. I try to eat healthy (fish, fruit, veggies, etc.), and have quit smoking. I'm 20 lbs overweight (thanks to quitting smoking), but I excersize every day, sometimes 3 times a day to help start taking care of that problem also. I really didn't notice any changes in my body after doing the liver cleanse but then again I'm not sure what was suppose to happen. What are other benefits (beside hopefully lowering cholesterol) of doing a liver cleanse. Is it ok to do one 3 months apart from eachother?

Old 07-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
(female)

gardeninggal HB User

Yock: Your liver cleanse sounds dreadful, not sure I want to do that. My question is what about Milk Thistle which is used to help the liver. Have you or anyone here on the posts used it. When I was having so much trouble with statins and decided to stop taking it my health food store lady told me to take the Milk Thistle to help my liver get the statin out. I have yet to do it but have a mind to try it.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yock,
The reason I do it is that I've suffered bouts of gall bladder colic and the cure is overnight. Now I don't wait til the pain starts and I flush whenever I feel a certain "fullness" under my right ribcage either once or twice a year. I'm sure 3 months is a suitably long period between flushes. I think the way to tell is that if you keep getting stones, then keep flushing.
I LIKE the olive oil-grapefruit lemon mixture (better than the lemon juice-oil)...I even switched to canola the last time and it was tasty, but isn't that EPSOM SALTS drink the most NAUSEATING stuff ever dreamed up by the mind of man...YECCCCH! And 3 glassfuls yet...UGGH.

I drink apple juice the whole week beforehand to soften the stones...that's the easy part. When I get back from vacation, I think I'll do another.

I've adapted Hulda's method though and do my first Epsom at bedtime and then my second at 5AM....I am leary of three doses of Epsom salts and THEN bed because it is too fraught with risk...if you take my meaning; mattresses are too expensive!

I'm SURE there is a considerable drop in serum cholesterol afterwards, but which fractions and for how long, who knows? Maybe somebody on the major FLUSH site has done some work on this but I've never seen any info.

I guess Stumper could test for us since I think he's the only one with the CARDIOCHEK.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-31-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread