It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #1

Miriam7 HB User
Smile What type of fiber supplement is best and why?

Metamucil, Citracil, Benefiber??? Which ones are best for increasing fiber and lowering cholesterol. Are the pills better than the stir-up drinks? I have noticed that when I stir up my Metamucil it is tough to swallow it all...it's just plain nasty. I tried the Metamucil pills, but you know you have to take SIX pills for one dose!!

What about the new pills that combine fiber pills with calcium? Any good?

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on fiber supplements...thanks for any replies.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 AM   #2
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: What type of fiber supplement is best and why?

I use a Colon Care Formula which contains psyllium seed husks, oat bran, apple pectin extract & soy fiber. You'll find it in most health food stores. I use it just before going to sleep using a blender and water/juice. 12 oz container is about $7.00. The ones you mentioned that are in drug stores are flavored and contain sugar. The one that I take is all natural and cheaper.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hello

I use the Benefiber powder mixed with plain water. It's not gritty at all, but it does have an odd aftertaste. Not really bad, just strange. I don't use it for cholesterol; I use it for regularity if I'm having troubles. It works like a charm. I have tried the Benefiber edible orange tablets, which were really, really disgusting.

The only thing with these fiber supplements...DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!!! You will get extremely constipated if you don't drown yourself with water. The eight 8oz glasses a day doesn't cover it for me. If I have two glasses of Benefiber, one in the morning, one in the evening (I use two tablespoons in each glass of the fiber, and it's about a 20-oz glass), I need to drink about 120 ounces of water throughout the day. I also make sure to follow the glass of water/Benefiber immediately with another glass the same size of plain water. I have also found a brisk 20 to 30 minute walk in the evening helps to keep "things moving" if you know what I mean.

The way my doc explained it, these fiber supplements add bulk to your stools. You need the water and activity to move that extra bulk along, or else you get constipated

Don't want to trade one problem for another, you know?

HTH
L.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
(male)

gorgon HB User

I believe that a "soluble" fiber is what you want to affect cholesterol levels.
Metamucil is not, but Benefiber is. In any case, the reduction in cholesterol is not large - maybe in the order of 10% at most.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgon
I believe that a "soluble" fiber is what you want to affect cholesterol levels.
Metamucil is not, but Benefiber is. In any case, the reduction in cholesterol is not large - maybe in the order of 10% at most.
I respectfully disagree on that one. Psyllium does contain soluble fiber. And here is a quote from the Metamucil website:
Quote:
How much do diets containing soluble fiber from psyllium husk lower cholesterol if taken as directed?
In clinical studies submitted to the FDA, the cholesterol-lowering benefit of soluble fiber from psyllium, when taken as directed and combined with a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, was four to six percent for blood total cholesterol and about four to eight percent for LDL (bad) cholesterol versus a low-fat diet alone. No change is expected in HDL (good) cholesterol based on available data.
I believe that is for one serving, and a person is supposed to be able to take up to three servings a day.

I personally prefer to get my soluble fiber from pea, bean, or lentil soup, bean salads, fruit, oatmeal, or quick breads made with large quantities of oat bran. But on those days I don't feel I have eaten enough soluble fiber, I occasionally take the Wal-Mart equivalent of Metamucil. No more often than necessary, though. Yuck!

Old 08-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
(female)

cathie139 HB User

There is a product called FiberWise that uses psyllium husk fiber, herbs, vitamins and antioxidants to reduce the risk of heart disease. It has more Soluble Fiber and Insoluble Fiber than either Metamucil or Benefiber. This is not a pill but a substance mixed with water.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I buy my psyllium stricly for price so I use TARGET'S Sugar-Free Fiber Therapy. The 23.3 ounce container is 114 doses and I take 2 a day. (Costs under $5)

My techique is to whisk it with Crystal Light (or some variant of it) with a small size wire whisk. As I drink it I whisk several times to keep it from settling leaving the tiny whisk in the glass as I drink. WHen I finish I refill the glass with some more beverage and whisk in the residue from the glass.

I also try to get one serving of legumes every day, but have been falling down on the job lately. Hot bean soup seems more appealing in December than in August.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-13-2005 at 03:25 AM.

Closed Thread