It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
I am worrying about my Triglycerides level.

I have high Cholesterol for 3 years and recent test results are:
Cholesterol: 213, Triglycerides : 175, HDL 44, LDL 134,

I am worrying about my Triglycerides level.
For the past few years my Cholesterol is between 210 to 23 and Triglycerides is between
100-150, LDL is 120-157, HDL is always normal.

I have no heart problems and no high blood pressure except my stomach problem.
This difficulty to me is the food list by my doctor, which indicated that I canít eat too much pork, beef, egg, cake, candy, ham, seafood.
But actually I have to eat certain amount of protein and fat every day to comfort my stomach .

My question is how high the Triglyceride or LDL will have the risk of getting stroke or rupturing blood vessel.

Any kind of advices will be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: I am worrying about my Triglycerides level.

Hi, Efeng

I was recently diagnosed with high tri's, too (317 here). I got the same confusing food list from my doc, as well. However, mine says lean meats, i.e., lean pork tenderloin, lean roast beef or london broil, shrimp is a no-no, but grilled or baked fish is okay. Of course, lean, skinless chicken and turkey is okay. My sheet also says "up to six ounces per day of a lean meat". I bought a food scale, and six ounces is a pretty good bit of food. Figure a medium sized cooked chicken breast without the bone and skin is about three to four ounces. I had london broil last night, and four ounces was a lot! I couldn't even finish.

Maybe check with your doc and see if he can quantify how much meat protein per day you ought to be getting.

As for fat, I'm pretty sure you want to avoid the trans fats or hydrogenated fats. Olive & canola oils, nuts and avacado can be used "sparingly" according to my sheet. I believe these things have the "good" fats that our bodies do need. I've been reading a lot of labels since I got my numbers back, and it's not too hard to find everyday food items that have the good fats in them as opposed to the bad.

Other folks on this board I hope will chime in, too. I know I've learned so much from others here

Good luck!
Lysne

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

strubenuff HB User

If after a 12 hour fast your triglycerides are above 200mg per dl of blood you have increased your risk for stroke by 30%. 175 is high and if your current diet consists of pig cakes, candy, and the like you're setting yourself up for a whole host of problems. As for your cholesterol level, I wouldn't be worried unless it falls significantly below 200. Your risk of stroke, cancer, early death, etc. aren't affected until then.

May I ask what stomach problem you have?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

I am 54 years old .I have had stomach problem for about 30 years, and basically the symptom are remained same level, every time after I have lunch or dinner and about three or
three and half hours later, my stomach starts hurt and this kind of feeling just like I am hungry. I feel better if I have a full meal. Usually what I do is to eat some bread or cookies to comfort my stomach.
If I eat a lot of fat and protein at meal, I wonít feel hurt. I guess my stomach digests faster than a normal personís and the stomach easily gets hurt by acid.
However eating more protein and fat will lower this process.
I went to many doctors, almost everyone thinks perhaps I have ulcer, but I have done seven times upper endoscopy exams in past 30 years. None of the result found I have the ulcer. My doctors just let me try some kind of medicines, but I havenít found any good medicines.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Inactive

heart44 HB User

1) Bread and cookies [simple sugars and carbs] are your major cause of high triglycerides.

Recommendation:
Replace these with "complex carbohydrates" such as: pasta, brown rice, wholemeal breads, high fiber/wholegrain cereals.
IE: foods containing: Bran, Wheatgerm, Barley, Maize, Buckwheat, Cornmeal, Oatmeal.

Also, cinnamon (C. cassia) is excellent for lowering triglycerides and controlling blood sugar. Cinnamon is available in most drug stores in 500mg capsules. Take 2 a day. My husband lowered his trig's from 300 to 150 in 3 months by taking 1,000mg of cinnamon and cutting way back on simple carbs.

2) Fats and protein are "satisfying" and stay with you much longer than simple carbohydrates.

Recommendation:
Eat 6 smaller "balanced" meals a day. In other words take the amount of food that you normally eat in a day and divide by 6. This not only prevents constant hunger, but also stabilizes blood sugar and aids in digestion.

3) H. Pylori (a type of bacteria) can be the cause of (peptic) ulcers.
Have you been tested for H. Pylori?

Search on: ulcer h pylori
There is lots of info available

Frankie

Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #6
(male)

Rick49 HB User

...A diet based on the Glycemic Index may lower your triglycerides. I went on the diet for other health reasons but received several other health benefits. My triglycerides dropped from 350 to 97 and my blood pressure droped from 135/80 to 115/75. Even though my blood pressure was normal in both cases, it shows the dynamic effect the Glycemic index can have. But as you can see, there was dramatic improvement in my triglycerides. My HDL is around 40 (first time it had been normal) but my LDL is still high. I can't remember how high it is, but my total cholesterol was around 212.

...We can't post links on this board but there's lots of free information regarding the glycemic index on the web and the main thing I did was greatly reduce the amount of white starches in my diet, potatoes, rice, and white breads are usually the main foods that are high on the index. I read a couple of research papers and restricting the white starches has always showed greater reduction in triglycerides than a low fat diet. The reason is that insulin converts carbs into fat by an extended process, which I wil not go into but bottom line is that the high glycemic carbs cause excess insulin levels and by curbing the insulin into normal levels, the triglycerides will drop.

Rick

Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

efng,

Your doctor is prescribing the right diet to get your tri's into line: low saturated fat and low sugar.

Getting top the root of the stomach problem is probably the best approach for you. If you've never been tested for H.pylorii (helicobacter) INSIST on the antibody test to it at your next doctor's appointment. It's a simple blood test.
MANY if not MOST stomach problems are due to an infection with this tenacious and nasty bug. It is curable with DOOZY of a pile of mixed antibiotics, but when the bug is gone, so are all the stomach problems.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

I need to say thank you very much for everybody's recommodations, I will try it. I did the H.pylorii blood test last year, the result was over normal ( Positive) , after I used the antibiotic, it came down. but I haven't tested it
very often.
I still have some questions about your recommodations and I will post it tonight.
Thanks again

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Frankie,
I have a question for you because you said that Bread and cookies [simple sugars and carbs] are my major cause of high triglycerides. I like to know what you think about rice? because rice is my main food every day, it also has sugars and carbs.
thanks!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Rice is practically all starch. That is why it is such a useful adjunct in the brewing of beer. It quickly converts to sugar, and then alcohol. For anyone who is concerned about lowering triglycerides, rice is a definite no-no.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Hi

If rice is your primary food, that's not good. Your dinner plate should be 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs (pasta, rice, potato) and 1/2 vegetables. You need protein and fats in your diet..... limit the carbs, add cinnamon and you should see an improvement in your triglycerides.

Frankie

Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 AM   #12
(male)

Rick49 HB User

\...The Glycemic Index is a rating system for carbohydrates. There are several lists on the internet that are free and the lists can help you see which carbs effect you metabolism the least and most. Generally speaking, the white starches, breads, potatoes, and rice, effect our metabolism the most, but there are varieties of rice that have lower ratings than others.

...I was already on a gluten free diet so wheat wasn't an issue and I saw my main improvements from limiting rice and potatoes. The glycemic response is dependent on the glycemic rating of the carb and the amount that is eaten. People whose metabolisms are really sensitive, find that they have to not only eat low glycemic foods but also eat smaller meals more frequently. They may have 6 small meals in a day instead of 3 large ones.

...The point being is that if you must have a lot of rice, finding a variety that is the lowest on the glycemic index and eating smaller portions, more often may help. Besides cinnimon, lemon and vinegar will also lower the glycemic index of a food. If memory serves me, uncle ben's converted rice is one of the lowest varieties of rice on the glycemic index, but oyu may want to follow up on that.

Rick

Old 08-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Frankie,
If i eat 1/2 vegetables, my stomach will feel very unconfortable. Can I increase the protein and fat , decrease the vegetables and unchange the carbs? ( 1/2 protein and fat, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 vegetabels)?

Thanks!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Frankie,
I like to know if the Cinnamon will effect liver or not because I am going to
try it.
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I don't think cinnamon will do any harm to the liver. Frankie turned me on to it about 2 months ago. I take about a 1/2 tsp. a day, usually in the a.m. with my oatmeal. I just had tests done this week, so dying to see if it helped out.

It is suppose to be very good for keeping blood sugar levels stable, and also for the Trigs. I use the regular stuff U buy to put in your spice rack, but there are capsules to use also. So far everything I have read about it is good, so give it a whirl. Just don't use the cinnamon oil, as it is too potent, that is why Frankie tells U to use the cassie, and that is basically what your household cinnamon spice is.

Good luck....

Closed Thread