It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User
Need advice on Omega-3 Supplements...

Hi Folks! I have read in articles recently and at this site that taking Omega-3 supplements can work just as well as prescription drugs like Zocor. I have just started taking an Omega-3 supplement of 1200 mg per capsule (huge capsule by the way) once a day in the evening. The bottle suggests two capsules twice a day but that seems like an awful lot. Any advice on how much Omega-3 is enough or too much and what dosage seems to work best would be most appreciated. Thanks - Sharon Grace

Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Need advice on Omega-3 Supplements...

If the goal of treatment is to lower LDL, and total cholesterol levels, Omega-3 oils, while very useful for cardiac health, in no way approach the efficacy of statin treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
(male)

strubenuff HB User

Lenin is right; there is no supplementation that will have the same efficacy as a statin. However, simple changes in diet have proven to be equally effective without the side effects. If you're looking at high cholesterol and the possibility of a statin, I'd ask yourself the following questions:

Do my c reactive protein and homocysteine levels indictace inflammation in my arteries?
Is my cholesterol above 250?
If the purpose of low cholesterol is to decrease my risk of CHD, why does taking cocunut oil or omega 3 fatty acids reduce my risk more than statins? Shouldn't they be raising my cholesterol and clogging my arteries?

The point I'm trying to make is that statins are totally unnecessary unless you dont like money or your health. Low cholesterol is linked to strokes, aggression, suicide, etc. High cholesterol is flimsily linked, if at all, to CHD. In fact, statins likely reduce CHD by decreasing inflammation (look for studies on reduction of c reactive proteins levels). However, statins have a number of dangerous side effects: cancer, amnesia, muscle deterioration, etc. Further more, you can decre3ase your risk of CHD by excercise, diet, and supplementation with an efficacy statins do not approach.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Grace
Hi Folks! I have read in articles recently and at this site that taking Omega-3 supplements can work just as well as prescription drugs like Zocor. I have just started taking an Omega-3 supplement of 1200 mg per capsule (huge capsule by the way) once a day in the evening. The bottle suggests two capsules twice a day but that seems like an awful lot. Any advice on how much Omega-3 is enough or too much and what dosage seems to work best would be most appreciated. Thanks - Sharon Grace
The recommended dose of 4 capsules is about right. You should aim for at least 1-2 grams of EPA/DHA. Look at the label on the bottle and see how much EPA/DHA is contained in one capsule. For example, if your capsules contain 300mg, then 4 capsules a day would be fine. In comparing the benefits of fish oil versus statins, it's interesting that fish oil is shown to be at least equally effective, is far safer, and is without any harmful side-effects. Last but not least, fish oil has been shown to be effective without even lowering cholesterol. Hmmm, that ought to raise a few eyebrows, don't you think? That's one more strike against the cholesterol theory. Little by little this archaic theory is falling to pieces. And that would be a step in the right direction, since we have failed miserably in our attempt to curb heart disease by focusing on cholesterol.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User

I recently posted this message on the wrong board, hopefully since it is about the same subject (Omega 3 oil) I can repost here.

Several weeks ago I started taking Fish Oil concentrate on my doctors orders. He never said how much to take, so I followed the directions on the bottle (1000mg 3 times a day). Everything was ok until today! I went out for a little while this morning (it's very hot here) and I kept smelling a peculiar odor. After awhile, I realized it was me!! The smell of the fish oil is coming right through my pores - my arms STINK! It doesn't smell fishy, but it smells like fish OIL and it is very unpleasant. I went right into the shower and scrubbed and it was fine as long as I stayed in the air conditioned house. I went out to water plants on the porch, and less than 5 minutes later, I smell it again. This is not the first time I have been in the sun/heat since I started taking these things - I go out nearly every day, with no smelly results. What my question is, is have I built up so much in my system that it comes out when I sweat, am I taking too much? The reason the doctor wants me to take it is because my cholestrol is a tad high, but not high enough to warrant regular medication. He also says the benefits of the fish oil outweigh these side affects. I recently read that this is the ONLY thing President Bush takes and he is extremely healthy. I can't believe he goes around smelling like this though. The doctor is on vacation now, so I hope someone on this board will be kind enough to share any info they might have on this subject.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Kathy,

Hmm, that's odd. I've never heard of this happening. I take even more fish oil than you, five or six capsules a day, and I've never smelled anything. Even when I take walks and I sweat (yeah, it's hot in New Jersey too), I don't smell fish oil. Maybe your sense of smell is a lot better than mine, and you can detect it. I don't know. Have you asked anyone else if they can smell it on you? I suppose it's possible, though. Maybe a different brand might be better, or maybe one of those enteric coated fish oil supplements which are designed to dissolve in the intestine rather than the stomach.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User

No, I haven't asked anyone else if they could smell it - my husband is out of town, and I wouldn't dare ask anyone else, not that my husband could smell it anyway, his sense of smell is dead, the house could burn around him and he wouldn't smell it!

I might have it figured out though - it seems to be coming from my lower arms, the part that I used hair remover on this morning. I use this hair remover all the time, but probably not since I started the fish oil. My legs or upper arms don't seem to smell. I bet the hair remover opened up those pores and the fish oil is coming out through them - does that make sense???

Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

Sharon Grace HB User

Thank you to all who responded! The info is most helpful. Also - KATHY - the supplement I bought says its odorless. and it is. (Nature Made Vitamins). It explains that they have a special enteric coating to dissolve the capsule in the intestine, not the stomach. Check a few different brands next time you're out and about. I saw several brands which have this "odorless" feature. Happy shopping

Old 08-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User

Yes, they probably are low quality - CVS store brand.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
(female)

BarbJ HB User

while were on the subject, would Omega-3 cause an upset stomach? I had a slightly nauseaus feeling after taking a capsule, and a fishy taste in my mouth... it's made by Sundown. It doesn't say odor free. hmmm

Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 AM   #11
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ
while were on the subject, would Omega-3 cause an upset stomach? I had a slightly nauseaus feeling after taking a capsule, and a fishy taste in my mouth... it's made by Sundown. It doesn't say odor free. hmmm
How much are you taking Barb?

Our doctor recommended starting with just one capsule (1,000mg) and increase gradually as needed. One capsule might be all that you need for the desired result (in addition to any other dietary changes).

Frankie

Closed Thread