It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

grioghair HB User
Ldl/tc 182/260

I just received a bunch of blood tests back from my doctor. Everything turned out fine except for the chloresterol test. The results were:

Chloresterol: 260
Triglyceride: 105
HDL: 58
LDL-Calculated: 182
Non-HDL Cholesterol: 202.50
CHOL/HDL: 4.5
VLDL: 21
TG/HDL: 1.83

The only thing my doctor seems concerned about is the LDL level of 182. He wants me to bring it down. His nurse has suggested that I go on a low cholesterol diet for six weeks, and then they will test me again. I am about twelve days into that diet now. I have noticed that my head seems clearer now - I used to suffer with brain fog a lot. I also used to suffer with sugar sensitivity - it is becoming less since I have been on a low-fat diet.

My question is, what kind of risk is my LDL level? Is it something to worry about? I have normal blood pressure and no weight problem. I am fifty years old, and weight around 145 pounds at a height of around 5/7.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Last edited by grioghair; 09-10-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran

rahod HB User
Re: Ldl/tc 182/260

Quote:
Originally Posted by grioghair
I just received a bunch of blood tests back from my doctor. Everything turned out fine except for the chloresterol test. The results were:

Chloresterol: 260
Triglyceride: 105
HDL: 58
CHOL/HDL: 4.5
VLDL: 21
TG/HDL: 1.83

The only thing my doctor seems concerned about is the LDL level of 182. He wants me to bring it down. His nurse has suggested that I go on a low cholesterol diet for six weeks, and then they will test me again. I am about twelve days into that diet now. I have noticed that my head seems clearer now - I used to suffer with brain fog a lot. I also used to suffer with sugar sensitivity - it is becoming less since I have been on a low-fat diet.

My question is, what kind of risk is my LDL level? Is it something to worry about? I have normal blood pressure and no weight problem. I am fifty years old, and weight around 145 pounds at a height of around 5/7.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve
Well, it's a good thing you're finding this out now...at age 50. Although your HDL is pretty good, the LDL has to come down. I'm an advocate of LDL 100 or less. That means you would need a total of around 180, given your TRIGS and HDL. If you can accomplish that with diet..GREAT. If not....well...statins are the way to go. I was at LDL 160 a year ago and couldn't do a thing with diet. I've been on 10 mg Crestor with 1/2 tablet Zetia for a year now and have an LDL of around 80 (total is 160). No side effects either. I'm 59.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

How much exercise do you get? Do you have a family history of cardio vascular problems? Are you a smoker? Depending upon your answer to those questions, I think it could be either critical that you reduce your LDL a lot, or only desireable to get it down some. I think far too much weight is being placed on the cholesterol numbers these days when other concerns should be more important. Glad to hear your blood pressure is good. That's a definite plus.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
(male)

grioghair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahod
Well, it's a good thing you're finding this out now...at age 50. Although your HDL is pretty good, the LDL has to come down. I'm an advocate of LDL 100 or less. That means you would need a total of around 180, given your TRIGS and HDL. If you can accomplish that with diet..GREAT. If not....well...statins are the way to go. I was at LDL 160 a year ago and couldn't do a thing with diet. I've been on 10 mg Crestor with 1/2 tablet Zetia for a year now and have an LDL of around 80 (total is 160). No side effects either. I'm 59.

Good luck
Thank you for your response. I am going the diet route first. I guess if my figures haven't altered at all in about four weeks time, then I will have to start considering the genetic connection. I am feeling better than I was before, though. My doctor was all for putting me on medication, but his nurse suggested that I watch my fat intake for around six weeks.

Steve

Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
(male)

grioghair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
How much exercise do you get? Do you have a family history of cardio vascular problems? Are you a smoker? Depending upon your answer to those questions, I think it could be either critical that you reduce your LDL a lot, or only desireable to get it down some. I think far too much weight is being placed on the cholesterol numbers these days when other concerns should be more important. Glad to hear your blood pressure is good. That's a definite plus.
I get plenty of exercise - both at work and at home. I cycle regularly, and my work is physically demanding. I am a little hyperactive, too. I have no weight problem - it is all internal. I had a father who died from heart trouble, and a paternal grandfather who died the same way. My father had high blood pressure. Both of them smoked. Maybe it is genetic. The smoking must weigh in it somewhere, though. I don't smoke.

Thanks for the response,

Steve

Old 09-13-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Steve,

Here's the risk assessment on LDL from the American Heart Association:

Less than 100 mg/dL Optimal
100 to 129 mg/dL Near Optimal/ Above Optimal
130 to 159 mg/dL Borderline High
160 to 189 mg/dL High
190 mg/dL and above Very High

Last edited by Lenin; 09-13-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Since your weight is normal and you already get plenty of exercise, you don't have much opportunity to make improvements there. With a family history like yours, I'd take reduction in LDL pretty seriously, even though you are a non-smoker and your relatives with CVD smoked. Unless you had a pretty bad diet before, I doubt that you'll be able to get your numbers down enough to appreciably decrease your risk with diet alone. However, people do respond very differently to various factors (makes life more interesting, I guess ), so it is certainly worth a try.

Be sure to stay away from hydrogenated oils, not just saturated fats and dietary cholesterol. You'll find hydrogenated oils in most commercial crackers, snacks, and packaged foods, as well as most margarines. These oils can have just as negative effect on serum cholesterol as the saturated fats.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
(male)

grioghair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Steve,

Here's the risk assessment on LDL from the American Heart Association:

Less than 100 mg/dL Optimal
100 to 129 mg/dL Near Optimal/ Above Optimal
130 to 159 mg/dL Borderline High
160 to 189 mg/dL High
190 mg/dL and above Very High
I got the same list from my doctor. I asked for a copy of the bloodwork. I was aware that I was in the high category.

Steve

Old 09-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
(male)

grioghair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
Since your weight is normal and you already get plenty of exercise, you don't have much opportunity to make improvements there. With a family history like yours, I'd take reduction in LDL pretty seriously, even though you are a non-smoker and your relatives with CVD smoked. Unless you had a pretty bad diet before, I doubt that you'll be able to get your numbers down enough to appreciably decrease your risk with diet alone. However, people do respond very differently to various factors (makes life more interesting, I guess ), so it is certainly worth a try.

Be sure to stay away from hydrogenated oils, not just saturated fats and dietary cholesterol. You'll find hydrogenated oils in most commercial crackers, snacks, and packaged foods, as well as most margarines. These oils can have just as negative effect on serum cholesterol as the saturated fats.
I have to admit that I was not watching my diet too closely. I was basically eating whatever I felt like eating, not realising I had a problem. Buffet meals, McDonalds burgers and fries, ice cream and Hot Pockets - all of which are pretty high in fat. Now I am on chicken and subs, vegetables and fruit...and, as I stated earlier, I do feel better. I do feel that the numbers will decrease by diet, but if they don't then I will look towards medication. I heard a rumour that my brother had heart trouble a few years back. He denied it, so I don't know if it was true or not. He has since died from liver failure - he was a chronic drinker.

Steve

Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
I have to admit that I was not watching my diet too closely. I was basically eating whatever I felt like eating, not realising I had a problem.
Hi Steve,

Ok, now I see the problem..... fastfooditis !!!
Buffet meals, McDonalds burgers and fries, ice cream and Hot Pockets
The only one I'm in favor of is IC, in moderation.
My husband thought sorbet was a healthier choice than IC. Sorbet is pure sugar!
His triglycerides shot up to 301 from sorbet and simple carbs.
Cutting way back on carbs (especially sugar) and taking two 500 mg capsules of
cinnamon daily lowered his trigs from 301 to 150 in 3 months.
So changing diet can change your numbers.

I know it's easy to just get food on the run, but you have no idea as to the quality of the food you are comsuming daily.

Diet recommendations - Fresh fruit, vegetables, protein, good fats and complex carbs.

Frankie

Old 09-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:

My question is, what kind of risk is my LDL level? Is it something to worry about?
I have normal blood pressure and no weight problem.
I am fifty years old, and weight around 145 pounds at a height of around 5/7.
Hi again Steve,

Has your doctor checked your homocysteine, Lp(a) and hs-CRP?
All of these are inflammatory markers.
It's not just elevated LDL that causes coronary artery disease, it's oxidized LDL.
Good medical article about Oxidized LDL and coronary artery disease.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/AcuteCoronarySyndrome/tb/1318

Frankie

Homocysteine = toxic amino acid - optimal levels <6.2
Lp(a) = Lipoprotein (a)
hs-CRP = High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein

Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdkiss
I had a total cholesterol level of 269 but after doing a full lipid profile and checking my homocystine and CRP, the cardiologist decided that my risk was low.
You have an excellent cardiologist. Wish there were more like him/her.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
(male)

grioghair HB User

I'm sorry for not replying sooner.

I am now four weeks into my low-fat diet - at least, I will be tomorrow morning. Once again I have overdone it. Instead of limiting saturated fat, I have totally eliminated it. It has wrecked my health a little. I've been concentrating on fruit and vegetables, and taking in virtually zero fat. The last day or two I have taken in a little fat. I had a small bowl of ice cream today, and yesterday I ate a cherry turnover. I have literally gone from one extreme to the other - a lifelong habit of mine. I was beginning to feel nauseous for a few days, and weak...and then realised that my diet needed modifying.

I am going to schedule my cholesterol test for a few weeks in the future. Six weeks or more since my previous test. I have a colonoscopy coming up in a few weeks time, and I want to get that out of the way first. However, an online friend of mine - who is roughly the same age - just told me that there may be a link between high cholesterol and low testosterone. As I am fifty, I was wondering if I might need to get this tested. I don't feel that this is connected in my case - as I am sure it is either dietary or genetic - but I feel that prevention is better than cure.

Steve

Last edited by grioghair; 09-26-2005 at 05:22 PM.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
I am now four weeks into my low-fat diet - at least, I will be tomorrow morning. Once again I have overdone it. Instead of limiting saturated fat, I have totally eliminated it...
I am going to schedule my cholesterol test for a few weeks in the future. Six weeks or more since my previous test...
... online friend said there may be a link between high cholesterol and low testosterone...
Hi Steve,

I know it's difficult to find a happy medium (dietary). I can't stress enough to NOT
eliminate fat. Your body needs fat, and saturated fat is not the bad actor most
doctors make it out to be. Transfat is the bad guy.

Our bodies need fat and cholesterol. Even the most strict dietary recommendations
say your diet should include no more than 8 to 10% saturated fat. Also that no more
than 30% of your daily calories should come from fat. So a NO-FAT diet is not
healthy. Extremely low-fat diets can pose the risk of essential fatty-acid deficiency,
as well as making it harder for the body to absorb fat soluble nutrients - vitamins A,
D, E, K and ubiquinone (CoQ10).

As far as your cholesterol, elevated triglycerides and oxidized LDL should be your
main concern. You already indicated your hs-CRP and homocysteine are good.
Just curious... What were your numbers?
hs-CRP -
homocysteine -

Did your doctor check your Lp(a) [Lipoprotein (a)] ?

LDL-Calculated: 182 (this should be measured directly to get an accurate reading)
VLDL: 21 (<30 mg/dl - Excellent)

Re: high cholesterol and low testosterone. Cholesterol is an essential raw material
used by the body to build cell walls and produce hormones such as estrogen and
testosterone. Erectile Dysfunction is usually the first indication of low testosterone.

Frankie

Old 09-26-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
(male)

grioghair HB User

I never had either one checked by my doctor...and, as I am new to this, maybe you could expand upon that a little. My Lp(a) was not checked, either. I was just given the lipid panel test, and other tests which are not related to cholesterol.

It's good to know about testosterone. I don't have a problem. I may, however, still discuss it with my doctor because of my age.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart44
Just curious... What were your numbers?
hs-CRP -
homocysteine -

Did your doctor check your Lp(a) [Lipoprotein (a)] ?
Frankie

Closed Thread