It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

happycow HB User
Confused about what I can/can't eat...

I have 250+ cholesterol, trying to lower it. Confused about what I can/can't eat... this is my first time... thanks for everybody's help!

Can I eat foods with saturated fats? I guess my question is, how many grams of saturated fats can I have a day? To lower my cholesterol, do I have to completely cut saturated fats from my diet or is a certain amount okay.

What about cholesterol?

Also, is "I can't believe it's not butter" an okay substitute to regular butter? What about 2% milk?

Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Inactive

heart44 HB User
Re: Confused about what I can/can't eat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow
I have 250+ cholesterol
Can I eat foods with saturated fats? (how many grams of saturated fats daily)
Do I have to completely cut saturated fats from my diet or is a certain amount okay.
What about cholesterol?
What about 2% milk?
Hi Happy Cow,

Welcome to the boards.
Your TC is 250. What are your numbers?
HDL
LDL
Triglycerides

Good saturated fats are not bad. In moderation you can have butter.
I dislike anything that substitues for the real thing, such as butter, eggs, milk.
Eating foods with cholesterol does not drive up your cholesterol numbers.

Transfats are your worst enemy; anything that starts with hydrogenated.
The food makers take a good fat and make it lethal to our health.

Best diet - Fresh fruits, vegetables, protein, good fats and complex carbs.
Avoid processed foods and fast food.
Just my personal opinion, but the low fat low cholesterol "Heart Healthy"
diet is on its' way out. Our bodies need both fat and cholesterol.

Frankie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Saturated fats will raise your LDL cholesterol, as your doctor probably told you.

The best butter substitute I found was SMART BEAT (2 tubs for anywhere between a buck and a buck-fifty.) Taste is pretty good and it has ZERO trans-fats and ZERO saturated fats. It's basically canola oil whipped with water (and thus has 1/5 the calories of butter and other margerines) and your even getting a dose of plant based Omega-3's from the canola (ALA!)

TRY to skip cheeses entirely and 2% milk is better than whole milk (3.5%) but not as good as 1% or skim (but does ANYTHING taste worse than fat-free milk...yeccch?) I use 2% even though my kefir doesn't turn out as good as with whole milk (but that's another story!)

When choosing your entrees think in terms of fish and poulty more often than pork and beef. Don't overdo your eggs. Cook with olive oil or canola. Take fish oil supplements.

Eat lots of fiber like legumes (beans, peas, lentils) and oatmeal breakfasts on alternate days is a good idea.

HAve a LITTLE alcohol every day (2-3 drinks.)
Go easy on sugar.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-15-2005 at 07:59 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Go easy on sugar.
Eliminate sugar. It's one of the worst things for our health.
And I'm sorry but I disagree with the saturated fat issue.
Take into consideration that most doctors are clueless when it comes to nutrition.
The only thing most doctors know is the low fat low cholesterol mantra.

Frankie

Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

I love fat free milk. Granted it did take some getting use to though. Now it is my milk of choice. Whole milk and 2% is awful.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I also drink fat-free milk now. But it took me years to convert. I probably drank (and used in cooking) 2% for 20 years before I went to 1% and used 1% for several more years before finally going to skim. I probably used skim for a month or six weeks before deciding it was tolerable even after the 1%. Now that I'm finally used to it, I find it okay, though I'd still prefer 2% or whole.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Frankie,

You can't "eliminate sugar" without giving up milk (lactose) and fruit (glucose and fructose.) Do you know ANYONE who eats no fruit?

That kind of draconian measure is just plain unworkable for virtually everyone. Why bother mentioning it?

Last edited by Lenin; 09-16-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
Frankie,

You can't "eliminate sugar" without giving up milk (lactose) and fruit (glucose and fructose.) Do you know ANYONE who eats no fruit?

That kind of draconian measure is just plain unworkable for virtually everyone. Why bother mentioning it?
Thank you for pointing that out Lenin.
Point well taken.
Frankie

Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

I don't like fruit and was told by my dietitian to limit fruit if i eat it. I am diabetic(heredity) and really hate fruit. I can eat veggies ok.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #10
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Frankie,

Lenin,

You are right when you say that the diet Frankie refers to is harsh for most but sometimes drastic situations call for drastic measures. I myself got a scare when the Doc told me that I was at risk for a heart attack or stroke. I knew I had to make a radical change in order to reverse this. When I left the Doc on 9/6/05 and she explained my blood work and what she expected from me in weight loss (only 10 lbs) I knew I had to make a severe modification for the better. I have been 2 weeks now red meat and dairy free and only consume 3-4 oz a day of white meat (skinless turkey breast/chicken breast) or fish. My diet is ALMOST vegetarian. Iím trying to wean to completely vegetarian if need be to get myself back in good shape again. My fat intake has only been at best 10 grams a day. I have cut out all processed foods and only eat fruit (about 7 servings) and vegetables (about 20 servings). My salad dressings are all fat free and made fresh by me. My snacks are baked sweet potatoes and wheat cereals & oatmeal with soymilk with a lot of cinnamon and fresh veggies dipped in my salad dressings. I will say this I am never hungry and loaded with fiber. Since I do lift weights I need my protein so I get that in the form of many legumes. It was a little tough at first getting the stomach used to it but I feel great now. We shall see if this works when I go for blood work again. The way I see it is it is a lot of prep work but Iím worth it and I love life plus I want to be around for the people that love me. I prepare all my meals for the week on Sunday. We go out to dinner on Friday & Saturday nights and I only order salads with dressing on the side and I choose foods like tuna steak and steamed veggies. I have to try everything before I give in to the drug companies. Iím not saying I will eat this strictly for the rest of my life but I will do this until my numbers go down and I will never go back to my old ways of eating againÖLisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 09-21-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Good for you Lisa. I learned to eat high fiber also. My mom had to also start this diet bcuz of her high cholesterol problem. Eating at her home, changed my way of thinking about food. She like beans alot, but i didn't until now. Beans are loaded with fiber, she also eats Fiber One cereal in the a.m. It has 14g of fiber. She says fiber help fight cholesterol. Is this true?

Closed Thread